A4198

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

vlad

A4198

Post by vlad »

At certain zoom levels (here), the OS claim that Thamesdown Drive, in north Swindon, is numbered A4198. That's not marked on any other maps and I can't find any proof of the number elsewhere, so does this actually exist or are the OS jumping the gun or just providing a copyright trap?

Certainly Thamesdown Drive seems to be of sufficient quality to merit a number so it seems strange it's unclassified. Am I missing something?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
rileyrob

Re: A4198

Post by rileyrob »

I thought I remembered something here in the forums about this, and doing a search for Thamesdown comes up with all sorts of stuff, but nothing conclusive. It doesn't surprise me that the road could have been classified, but primary route? Especially one with a poor S2 link to the A419. Curiously my iPad app outside doesn't show this (yet).

Edit - this link from one of those old threads still shows a rogue 'A' on signage approaching this road:
https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetview/? ... 25,,0,-3.2
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Well, either way we could do with a Wiki page on it - policy is to have pages for roads that are just mapping errors (like A65(M)), say they're errors or dubious as heck, and put them in the "Disputed Numbers" category.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: A65(M) :

The A65(M) appeared on the Leeds/Bradford inset on the 2004 10 mile OS map. It is either a mapping error, or a deliberate trap street, as it is the same bit of road as the A64(M). [[Category:Disputed

... Read More
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Done: A4198
Can't get the OS map to load in the routebox, which I seem to remember is a known bug? Probably missed a few other bits too, it's a long time since I created a routebox page from scratch!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: A4198 :

The Summer 2014 revision to the online version of the Ordnance Survey 1:250,000 mapping layer has assigned the number A4198 to the previously unclassified dual carriageway of Thamesdown Drive around the northern edge of Swindon. As the mapping shows the A4198 is a Primary Route, given that the western end does not connect with

... Read More