Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

si404

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by si404 »

Not only 'City A12', when the A12 is a way away, but you wouldn't even meet the A12 from here to the City.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
zapalniczka

Post by zapalniczka »

These two in Reading are warning you that your one way road is crossing a two way road.

Problem is it's not a one way road and in fact is a dead end unless you're a bus or a taxi so you've already come from that direction.
Attachments
signs.JPG
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Attachments
30.jpg
30.jpg (23.15 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
Burwellian

Post by Burwellian »

Sprung up on Kingsway in Swansea seemingly in the last week or so. Dark blue instead of red, there are also no repeaters at present nor any 30's or similar to state when the suggested 20 zone ends...
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Is there any legal action that could be brought against authorities that do this kind of nonsense?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

Aren't those common for advisory 20s?
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

I thought black-bordered terminal signs were "supposed" to be used as an advance warning - I seem to remember a thread a while ago which showed some with countdown markers below.
michael769

Post by michael769 »

MotorwayGuy wrote:I thought black-bordered terminal signs were "supposed" to be used as an advance warning - I seem to remember a thread a while ago which showed some with countdown markers below.
No they are completely illegal. The one in the photo looks like it might be printed on plastic? I do wonder if it is an unuauthorised sign put up by a member of the public (this does happen!).
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

No they are completely illegal. The one in the photo looks like it might be printed on plastic? I do wonder if it is an unuauthorised sign put up by a member of the public (this does happen!).
Black bordered advisory signs are regularly posted by local authorities. We had a set of "repeaters" on the same sort of plastic put up by our parish council last September.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

It's much the same as the green circled "twenty's plenty" advisory limits which used to be widely seen in Scotland. Whether it's authorised or not, I have no idea.

And no, it's not plastic, it's the reflective material that's seen in the photo.
ratcliffe

Post by ratcliffe »

A lack of end of restrictions signs seems to be the norm these days, I think the authorities are trying to get people to think "Am I out of the restriction yet?" "I don't know so I will stay at 20 until the end of the city" :)
Derek Marshall, Leicester
Ben710

Post by Ben710 »

from another thread...
vlad wrote:
RichardA626 wrote:I did read somewhere that at least one WWII runway was turned into a road when the base it was on was closed.
There's one here in Lincolnshire - it even still looks a bit like a runway.
^I went to find the start of said road on google maps to see if the stretch was NSL (unable to tell) and noticed this
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

I may have prevented a future sign appearing in this thread:

see page 2 of this pdf
I wrote:I have had a look at the map with the yellow signs on it and just wanted to point out a mistake in the bottom rightmost sign that will be displayed to traffic coming from the west. This sign has 2 gaps in the roundabout symbols, the rightmost gap is correct but the leftmost gap is in the wrong place and suggests traffic should go around the northerly roundabout anticlockwise! The leftmost gap should be in the top right, not the bottom right of the roundabout symbol.

I am sure this won't matter too much if the temporary sign has already gone to print but please make sure this doesn't happen on the permanent sign - I have seen lots of wrongly printed permanent roundabout signs, and though the error is always subtle, it can be very confusing to our subconscious minds!
Galliford Try wrote:Thank you for your email and observations regarding the sign posts on our plan. I have passed them on to our Traffic Management team for review and consideration to change any signage on order.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Keiji wrote:I may have prevented a future sign appearing in this thread:

see page 2 of this pdf
I wrote:I have had a look at the map with the yellow signs on it and just wanted to point out a mistake in the bottom rightmost sign that will be displayed to traffic coming from the west. This sign has 2 gaps in the roundabout symbols, the rightmost gap is correct but the leftmost gap is in the wrong place and suggests traffic should go around the northerly roundabout anticlockwise! The leftmost gap should be in the top right, not the bottom right of the roundabout symbol.

I am sure this won't matter too much if the temporary sign has already gone to print but please make sure this doesn't happen on the permanent sign - I have seen lots of wrongly printed permanent roundabout signs, and though the error is always subtle, it can be very confusing to our subconscious minds!
Galliford Try wrote:Thank you for your email and observations regarding the sign posts on our plan. I have passed them on to our Traffic Management team for review and consideration to change any signage on order.
To which their response will be "Meh, what difference does it make?" or "It's okay, we know what we're doing." Even I sometimes have that issue, and I design signs myself!
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Keiji wrote:I may have prevented a future sign appearing in this thread:

see page 2 of this pdf

They could make it clearer which roundabout you are actually approaching!
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

A bit confusing... http://goo.gl/maps/26hgc
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

This is pretty awful (especially the pointless A272 numbering but that's another question...)
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0999758 ... EkPQwA!2e0
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

ForestChav wrote:This is pretty awful (especially the pointless A272 numbering but that's another question...)
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0999758 ... EkPQwA!2e0
Use of flag signs like that is a bugbear of mine :evil:
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Here's one I must have been past many times but only spotted yesterday.

No idea why A212 should be on a green patch!