M6 in the Midlands - More roadworks!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

brummie_rob

Re: M6 Birmingham - More roadworks!

Post by brummie_rob »

Tonight it took me 50 minutes between 10a and 10 because the motorway was closing at J10 for the night. Considering this was supposed to happen for the last two weeks and hasn't, it took me by surprise. There was a police car crawling at 5mph whilst workers put the cones out. Interesting as I've not seen this method before. He waited all the way until J10 sliproad until the police car pulled away.

The VMS signs informed me of the M50 closure at the M5, but failed to inform me of the M6 closure. Also the total disregard for the two Red X's was staggering. If those cameras were rigged up, they'd have made thousands tonight.
urbanfox

Post by urbanfox »

I think* they regularly get the police to hold everyone up while they stick their cones out around here. Even just for lane closures.
I've sat stationary for nearly an hour several times on the M6 and M5, before everything magically clears and we pootle off through the one remaining lane at 40.

*That's the only explanation I can think of for hours of regular traffic chaos at 11pm as the cones are being dropped.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

brummie_rob wrote:Tonight it took me 50 minutes between 10a and 10 because the motorway was closing at J10 for the night. Considering this was supposed to happen for the last two weeks and hasn't, it took me by surprise. There was a police car crawling at 5mph whilst workers put the cones out. Interesting as I've not seen this method before. He waited all the way until J10 sliproad until the police car pulled away.

The VMS signs informed me of the M50 closure at the M5, but failed to inform me of the M6 closure. Also the total disregard for the two Red X's was staggering. If those cameras were rigged up, they'd have made thousands tonight.
I narrowly avoided exactly the same thing on Monday night, Google informed me of an alternative route that would save me 30 mins just as I was passing 11A, it took me off at 11A, round some brummie backstreets and back on at J10 (just as they were about to close the sliproad). There were zero VMS messages about the traffic and nothing mentioning a closure (though admittedly at the time I came off the M6, it hadn't been yet closed).

I'm guessing VMS don't get activated regarding a closure until it's actually physically closed, but that's illogical. They've got journey time data, so if they know that a motorway is due to be closed, it wouldn't be too difficult to set VMS's further down the road to say that it's closed ahead of the closure time. (Because, to a driver at J18 at 9pm, the M6 is effectively closed ahead, even if it doesn't actually close till 10)
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Jeni wrote:...it took me off at 11A, round some brummie backstreets and back on at J10...
Hell of a detour !
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Big L wrote:
Jeni wrote:...it took me off at 11A, round some brummie backstreets and back on at J10...
Hell of a detour !
It's all Birmingham ;-)
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Looks like these are the scehemes:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... g-Schemes-

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... erproofing

The average cameras are already up by J8 and on the link road to the M5. Thankfully it only appears to be Southbound but for those day commuters this will cause issues no doubt.
urbanfox wrote:I think* they regularly get the police to hold everyone up while they stick their cones out around here. Even just for lane closures.
I've sat stationary for nearly an hour several times on the M6 and M5, before everything magically clears and we pootle off through the one remaining lane at 40.

*That's the only explanation I can think of for hours of regular traffic chaos at 11pm as the cones are being dropped.
When that programme on BBC2 was on about the HA, they said they don't get any help from the police and it had them shutting off J10 and the lorries all skirting round the closure narrowly avoiding them. If this change is a result of this, then good because safety is paramount. I just wish they could have been more forewarning and looking at Twitter, I wasn't the only annoyed person.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Given how much dosh is allegedly going to be spent on roads over the next few years, I can't help but think that, "Get used to it", ought to be on the tip of most folks tongues. Just saying like...
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Drive around Blackburn. We're the prototype for roadworks on all arterial routes all at once.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Conekicker wrote:Given how much dosh is allegedly going to be spent on roads over the next few years, I can't help but think that, "Get used to it", ought to be on the tip of most folks tongues. Just saying like...
Well on the flip-side it is good for my MPG. If the Smart Motorway works do end in the next few months, the M5 works will provide my MPG journey boost.
chaseracer

Post by chaseracer »

Jeni wrote:
Big L wrote:
Hell of a detour !
It's all Birmingham ;-)
<cough!>

Cannock/Bloxwich/Walsall... :wink:

</cough!>
urbanfox

Post by urbanfox »

Saw some signs warning of '30 weeks' od roadworks on the Aston Expressway earlier.

A bit of digging reveals that the on slips from Salford Circus will be closed until May and the Expressway-M6 links will be 30mph (probably with cameras) for the duration too.

Additionally, the on slip at J5 will be shut for 20 weeks for other works.
chaseracer

Post by chaseracer »

Great.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Oh, and there's going to be a 50mph limit at Ray Hall until May :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Truvelo wrote:Oh, and there's going to be a 50mph limit at Ray Hall until May :@
Lucky to get anywhere near 50 at the times I use that stretch!
Make poetry history.

urbanfox

Post by urbanfox »

Seems a bit nuts to close consecutive junctions for months.

Presumably all the traffic that would join at J6 is meant to get on the Expressway city-bound and go around Park Circus and back on to join the M6. Or if you arrive at Salford Circus unawares, head along the A5127 most of the way into the city centre and back out again.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Imagine you are at Salford Circus and want the M6 southbound. A fair few will head to junction 5 to find that blocked too.
Make poetry history.

brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

They all seem to be starting in sync sadly. Overnight closures from 5th-19th Jan on M6 SB as well, perfect timing as I hit that area just before 10pm as I head to work, so more delays I face.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

brummie_rob wrote:They all seem to be starting in sync sadly. Overnight closures from 5th-19th Jan on M6 SB as well, perfect timing as I hit that area just before 10pm as I head to work, so more delays I face.
TBH it's been common knowledge since the 1970's that these viaducts would need fairly constant repair, so basing a lifestyle choice (job, place of residence etc.) on the expectation of a clear M6 might be seen as a bit of a poor decision?
Benny

Post by Benny »

I'm so glad my family all live nearer the M5 these days. The M6 and A38(M) sound like they will all become intolerable.
Living my life on the edge......of two counties!

Formerly known as Roverman

Still driving a British built car, made in a former Rover factory......
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

RichardA35 wrote:
brummie_rob wrote:They all seem to be starting in sync sadly. Overnight closures from 5th-19th Jan on M6 SB as well, perfect timing as I hit that area just before 10pm as I head to work, so more delays I face.
TBH it's been common knowledge since the 1970's that these viaducts would need fairly constant repair, so basing a lifestyle choice (job, place of residence etc.) on the expectation of a clear M6 might be seen as a bit of a poor decision?
I'm not sure many people living nearby and making frequent use of the M6 would look at it this way. Most people don't think about how roads or structures are maintained; the M6 is just something that is there.