A130 upgrades

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

qwertyK

A130 upgrades

Post by qwertyK »

Hi,

Is the A130 due any upgrades? I would be very interested if there were any plans to make it into a motorway, perhaps A130 (M) or M130, considering how high standard it is, with some sections being D3.

Thanks, qwertyK
wrinkly

Re: A130 upgrades

Post by wrinkly »

It was announced last autumn that the hard shoulders would be converted to third lanes between Howe Green and Rettendon in 2016.

I've no idea whether it's happening as I haven't been anywhere near.

There's a thread here with some posts from 2011 and some from 2015.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

This thread really makes me feel my age!

I spent part of my teenage years in the area, and the A130 has already been upgraded out of all recognition from the old-poorly aligned, in places narrow road it used to be within living memory, especially the tortuous section near the Battlesbridge antiques centre.

In fact I'd stick my neck out and say it's the road in the UK with which I am familiar that has improved the most, so it takes a bit of getting used to to think that it might need upgrading again.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I drove through last week - southbound, the hard shoulder is coned off and being resurfaced. Northbound it is still in use.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

If this link posted in the other thread to which wrinkly refers is accurate, the third lanes should be opening up around now.
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

As of today, the Southbound hardshoulder has been resurfaced and marked as the new third lane, but was coned off. Work hasn't started yet Nortbound, but one of the laybys was closed with resurfacing equipment parked in it, so I assume works will be starting on the Nortbound lanes soon
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Work on the northbound actually started last night, when I was driving through. I was expecting southbound to still be closed overnight, so was surprised it was now open.

Southbound now looks ready, although I assume they will be changing the signage approaching Rettendon soon? Strange layout to the new Lane 1 as you exit the Howe Green roundabout, with the first few yards still hatched off, but starting a few yards further on. Looking at markings on the road, looks like that is how it is meant to be?
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

Today, the Northbound hardshoulder was coned off in preparation for the work to begin. Southbound still has the third lane coned off, presumably waiting for Northbound to be completed
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
harlow71

Post by harlow71 »

I drove this yesterday, looks complete, white lines and cats eyes in place, they just need to remove several thousand traffic cones.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

seems that the 3rd lane had to be added once traffic reached 50,000 vpd here is story http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1463410 ... hird_lane/
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

harlow71 wrote:I drove this yesterday, looks complete, white lines and cats eyes in place, they just need to remove several thousand traffic cones.
As of the weekend, seems work to the n/b has been completed.

They still, however, need to replace the signage at the Rettendon and Howe Green ends of the road, to take in to account the new third Lane. Presume this will also be done overnight?
jackal

Post by jackal »

A bit silly given the constraint of the A12 junction and the A12 itself (which will be busier than the A130 but with fewer lanes). Of course, as reported previously, Essex CC are aware of the silliness and are doing it to pressure HE into doing something. Though HE have a lot of improvements planned for the A12 these do not include Howe Green interchange and the A12 immediately east of there.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

About the time the A12 was made a Motorway at least as far as Chelmsford.

For another thread but Copdock is completely unfit for the traffic levels it serves.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

M5Lenzar wrote:About the time the A12 was made a Motorway at least as far as Chelmsford.

For another thread but Copdock is completely unfit for the traffic levels it serves.
Couldn't agree more. With the third lane of the A12 being added in in the next few years, it would be pointless to call it the "A12", should be "M12" or "A12 (M). Though the entire section isn't all of motorway standard; as I have pointed out, there are many buildings along it, particularly at Rivenhall, and the Essex Fire HQ.
Rodney Bass (road minister for Essex CC) wants it motorway as far as Ipswich. See here http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/poll_make_a1 ... _1_3853981

Realistically though, the A12 really just needs a third lane, improvements at Brook Street, and speed cameras and average speed checks...too many fast drivers. To be honest, as a roads enthusiast yes I would love to have an M12 on my doorstep, but for most ordinary people, I don't see how it will bee beneficial, as most of it is "motorway standard", albeit outdated and often quite poor. But in some cases, it may be a downgrade. Oddly, the D2 section at Rivenhall and Witham with lots of frontal development, even with NSL, has pavement along it, and even bus stops! I think the A14 needs to be made a motorway more than the A12, I'd much rather see dualling and trunking of the A12 from the A14 to Great Yarmouth, a bypass of all the villages along it.
IanW

Post by IanW »

The A130 is a bypass of a bypass. I guess it is not the only example of that though.

I also think it had to be built to avoid a historical tree maybe to do with a past king. My memory fails me.

I believe originally it was planned as a part of a larger road to take traffic from the M25 with a plan to extend it over the edge of Canvey into Kent. But this never saw the light of day.
jackal

Post by jackal »

IanW wrote:The A130 is a bypass of a bypass. I guess it is not the only example of that though.

I also think it had to be built to avoid a historical tree maybe to do with a past king. My memory fails me.

I believe originally it was planned as a part of a larger road to take traffic from the M25 with a plan to extend it over the edge of Canvey into Kent. But this never saw the light of day.
The DfT studied this as recently as 2009, as option D for the Lower Thames Crossing. They found it would only divert 3% of traffic from Dartford and would not attract strategic traffic heading up to the Midlands or North. It was also more expensive than the other options, estimated at between £3.5 billion and £10.5 billion.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... pacity.pdf
Philip_Baum

Post by Philip_Baum »

Should be upgraded to motorway to form part of a link between the M1 and M20 by tunnelling the proposed Lower Thames Crossing (see my proposed route: http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/dow ... &mode=view). I think this should be numbered M10 as it would have a similar function to the former M10 by distributing M1 traffic before it reaches London (and the M25). If it were a private toll motorway providing faster travel times than the M25 I would number it MT25 (the M6 Toll should have been numbered MT6 like Spain does with her Autovias and Autopistas e.g. A7 and AP7). The M10 or MT25 would relieve the Dartford Crossing and would provide better access to Stansted Airport. The M10 or MT25 would also provide excellent access to a brand new international airport hub on Maplin Sands. This would also need the extension of the A127 out to the sands.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

On the subject of the A130...

The new third Lane is still not open! Seems they found some of the barriers were not in a safe condition, although seems some of the embankments may also be unsafe, as they have been working beside the road along various parts for a while.

No date yet for when the new Lane will open.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Philip_Baum wrote:Should be upgraded to motorway to form part of a link between the M1 and M20 by tunnelling the proposed Lower Thames Crossing (see my proposed route: http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/dow ... &mode=view). I think this should be numbered M10 as it would have a similar function to the former M10 by distributing M1 traffic before it reaches London (and the M25). If it were a private toll motorway providing faster travel times than the M25 I would number it MT25 (the M6 Toll should have been numbered MT6 like Spain does with her Autovias and Autopistas e.g. A7 and AP7). The M10 or MT25 would relieve the Dartford Crossing and would provide better access to Stansted Airport. The M10 or MT25 would also provide excellent access to a brand new international airport hub on Maplin Sands. This would also need the extension of the A127 out to the sands.
What's wrong with M13?
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Runwell wrote:On the subject of the A130...

The new third Lane is still not open! Seems they found some of the barriers were not in a safe condition, although seems some of the embankments may also be unsafe, as they have been working beside the road along various parts for a while.

No date yet for when the new Lane will open.
I went through today as well, both ways. It looks finished but it's still comes off on both sides and there were a few workmen about. Also, northbound on the approach to the A12, there were some signs which were mostly covered but appeared to reflect the extra lane/layout.