The very odd M6 Toll J6 (T6)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paul

The very odd M6 Toll J6 (T6)

Post by Paul »

I have a recent email suggesting an entry for Unfinished Business on UK Roads.

It's the odd arrangement of the M6 Toll's J6 (T6). A number of things are immediately apparent from the map:

The odd arrangement you get with tolled motorways is in evidence here (see Continental Europe and the US for hundreds of examples): since all traffic has to go through a toll plaza, all sliproads to and from the mainline are collected together at the one point. This means trumpets abound, rather than the traditional arrangement of sliproads connecting more directly and intuitively with the surface network.

The link road that connects the end of the trumpet with the A5 has the number A5195, and the whole orientation of this short link road, which runs on the course of an old railway (one for Railway to Road Conversions), leads the viewer to mentally project this across to A-roads in Chasetown. Has this link been built? Is it planned to connect in this way? All lines on the map appear to suggest so. If not, then it's even weirder.

The B5011, which the road once had a junction with, appears to have been downgraded at the same time the A5195 number was assigned, so the CBRD Exit List for the M6 Toll is out of date.

Scroll up one frame in that map and the number changes to A5159!!

It's like the Twilight Zone there...
Regards,
Paul
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: The very odd M6 Toll J6 (T6)

Post by Steven »

Paul wrote:Has this link been built? Is it planned to connect in this way?
I thin it was under construction last time I was that way. I'll check it out next time I get the chance.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Jonathan B4027

Re: The very odd M6 Toll J6 (T6)

Post by Jonathan B4027 »

Steven wrote:
Paul wrote:Has this link been built? Is it planned to connect in this way?
I thin it was under construction last time I was that way. I'll check it out next time I get the chance.
Yes, it is complete, as I drove over it a month or so ago. It heads across to the entrance of the Chasewater railway and the Chasetown bypass. It also has the number A5195.