Old Route of A5 in North Wales Reopening

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ANiceEnglishman

Old Route of A5 in North Wales Reopening

Post by ANiceEnglishman »

A 1km stretch of tthe A5 between Dinmael, Conwy, and Ty Nant, Denbighshire is closed due to a dangerous cliff face and the Welsh Assembly have negotiated with landowners to reopen the former route to provide a diversion round the closure.

Presumably the new section cannot be very old if the old route is still usable. Has anyone got the details - opening date etc?

BBC Wales have been reporting this for a couple of weeks now but it doesn't seem to have made it to these forums. Link below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/5064496.stm
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

I has been mentioned before here.

I heard a few weeks ago on BBC Wales News that the old road needed some work doing to it before it could reopen - quite whether they mean resurface the actual old road or just make some modifications to tie it in at each end I don't know, but it certaintly seems to be the only sensible option.
bealach na ba

Re: Old Route of A5 in North Wales Reopening

Post by bealach na ba »

ANiceEnglishman wrote:Presumably the new section cannot be very old if the old route is still usable. Has anyone got the details - opening date etc?
I remember it being built in the early 1990s - say sometime between the start of 1992 and the end of 1995. Sorry I can't be more precise!
Guy

Post by Guy »

Presumably it is the section to the south marked as a footpath?
bealach na ba

Post by bealach na ba »

Guy wrote:Presumably it is the section to the south marked as a footpath?
Yes, that's the old road.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

I bet the double gated road to the north would provide an interesting diversion...!
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Other than resurfacing stated in the BBC thread, does anyone know what else had to be done to reopen this road? Not really knowing that particular stretch too well, from the aerial picture it looks like the eastern end was blocked off by vegetation e.t.c. Obviously all of this would have had to have been removed. I suppose the trees which cover both sides of the roads had to be cut back? I presume because it looks quite twisty that a lower speed limit is in force?
VibeOne
Banned

Post by VibeOne »

Right the road is open, and has been lightly resurfaced at each end, but it appears most is original - as you can still see the old road markings. The road condition looks very good, the retaining walls are original.

The road is 80% traffic and 20% footpath. The road has been made single track. It wasn't the widest road in the world, but with the wide footpath, I can understand why its single track with traffic lights.

Westbound, about to dive onto the old road

Surely this sign should read "Old Road Layout Ahead"?

Linking back to the old road

Old Road

EASTBOUND:

This side, its quite hard to see which route is "new"

Until 10 years ago, this was the A5, and now, its once again the A5 :)

This section of the old A5 (now current) has always been in use, as a side road, and as such is two-way

Back on the footpath section, and traffic light controlled, notice the old road markings, and original walls.

The rebuilt eastern link back to the "new" road. You can see the resurfaced section.
VibeOne
Banned

Post by VibeOne »

haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

A fantastic set of pictures, many thanks! I'm sure that's answered most questions about the 'old' road. Glad to see the old road at least to an extent back in use in it's former glory as the A5. :D It's not every day an 'old' road once again becomes the current road!

I am surprised at how narrow it is and not surprised in the slightest it's only used as a traffic light controlled S1. No way could that be used as an S2, not with modern lorries. Glad to see it remains in very good overall condition - almost as if it was bypassed only recently. I expected vegetation to have started encroaching the carriageway.

I wonder what they will do with each end of the 'old' road once the repairs on the current road have been carried out? I presume returned to how it has been for the last decade.
VibeOne
Banned

Post by VibeOne »

The photos could have been better - I forgot the digicam and what you see there are camphone pics :(

Theere is a 7.5 ton weight limit on the diversion, so most lorrys are banned. However with the footpath there as well, it is way too narrow for S2.

Remember the new road opened 10 years ago? 1996. I was born in 1984 and even I remember the trip down the A5 - including that section.

Also, although you can't tell from the pics, the old road is a much much more interesting route than the big cutting!

I wouldn't be surprised if the road is kept open one way to be honest. If only for a political point of view, it kinda makes sense. If it ever needs using as the A5 mainline again though = someone needs shooting!

I recommend anyone who can, goes and takes a look. Very interesting for many reasons. I really like the old route! :)
mittfh

Post by mittfh »

And here's the relevant MS Live/Getmapping shot:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... e=h&lvl=17

An alternative (longer) route to the footpath section would be to turn off at the minor road/footpath junction, then keep turning left until you hit the main road again.

Looking at the treeline between that minor road and the reincarnated A5 gives a nice impression of how that section has been straightened, ending in a farm access taking the line of the old route.
VibeOne
Banned

Post by VibeOne »

This will be my entry for next months POTM compo...

The A5 - reopened. Looking west. Photo cropped, adjusted, and dead flies removed!