Old Severn Bridge to close permanently?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Norfolktolancashire

Old Severn Bridge to close permanently?

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

I've heard today from a pal from the Bristol area that the old Severn Bridge is to close forever soon. :o . I cannot find any source which confirms this, but I would not be suprised as the cost of repairing the bridge must be massive and with the Second Severn crossing taking most of the traffic the bridge is no longer strictly necessary. However it is such a majestic bridge it would be a shame to lose it.

Has anyone else heard of this rumour?
CJ

Post by CJ »

Due to corrosion in the bridge cables I believe that HGV's are to be banned from it, but there are certainly no plans to close it altogether that I'm aware of.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It already has a 44T weight limit, which presumably can be further reduced if neccessary.

Obviously with the new bridge this wouldn't be as catastrophic for traffic flows as it would be with the Forth Road Bridge, but all the same it would be a travesty to lose a national landmark.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

What would happen to the access mway? Would it just become a field again or what if this were to happen?
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

The Cables rusted? ....... They were only replaced around 20 years ago. :shock:

I had heard about its possible closure a few weeks ago on radio bristol but I didin't believe it.
Michael
Former Member

Post by Michael »

I wouldn't be surprised if the bridge was closed to everything but cars and motorbikes - surely less strain on the bridge means less maintenence?

Is there any precedent for a bridge this size to be removed?
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Michael wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the bridge was closed to everything but cars and motorbikes - surely less strain on the bridge means less maintenence?

Is there any precedent for a bridge this size to be removed?
Not just the bridge -- what about the stretches of M48 either side? And you thought the M45 was quiet...
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

It'll be turned into a 4 lane cycleway, with speed cameras on each downhill side and, AFR, facial recognition cameras.
The toll booths will be non stop energy booths, where they grab a high energy Lucozade, as they sweep past.

For the less energetic, there will be tea rooms and tables along the central reservation of the M48, with all the barriers removed.

Probably. :wink:
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

From the Bristol Evening Post of May 10th 2007:

Drivers using the Severn Bridge will face disruption early next month when restoration work to protect the massive suspension cables from rusting enters a new phase.

Engineers will be working at weekends to shroud the worst-affected areas of the cables with a special coating, which will allow dry air to be pumped through the cables and prevent the build up of rust.

The work will cost about £2 million and is part of a £27m operation which will eventually cover the entire length of the two huge support cables of the 41-year-old bridge, which carries the M48 motorway.

It will not be closed completely to traffic while the weekend work is in progress but will be shut in one direction at a time to east or westbound traffic, to enable work on the cables to be carried out separately.

The first closure order is likely in early June, between 9.30pm on Fridays and 6am on Mondays.

Robin Miller, of the Highways Agency, said: "These measures will be in the interests of road safety to enable contractors to carry out main cable dehumidification and acoustic monitoring of the installations works."

The Highways Agency said it hoped to complete the engineering works during June and July, and anticipated imposing the weekend closures on about eight occasions.

As a further precaution HGV lorries weighing more than 7.5 tonnes have already been restricted to the first lane only since the beginning of April.

As well as the shrouding of the cables, engineers are also installing a £1m acoustic system which will allow them to monitor the snapping sound of any of the 8,322 individual strands of wire which make up the huge support cables.

The bridge currently carries about 17,000 cars and lorries a day, compared to the Second Severn Crossing which carries 75 per cent of traffic over the River Severn.

Rust was discovered in the support cables after an earlier inspection of the Forth Bridge in Scotland revealed corrosion had taken a hold in the support cables.
nirs

Post by nirs »

Or perhaps they'll go the other way, remove the speed limit entirely and turn the whole thing into a drag strip! :twisted:
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Michael wrote:Is there any precedent for a bridge this size to be removed?
Not quite as large, but the original Severn Rail Bridge was removed in the 1960s after a boat strike.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

And from Steven's comment, here's some nice footage...Movie Tone
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Why is the Severn Bridge still a motorway?

I’m sure there must be a nice A-road number which could be assigned to it.

Or what would happen if it was closed to all motor traffic? Would traffic levels on the Seventh Second (sorry, Second Severn) crossing be too high? It could be kept as a scheduled monument or something.
M45 Tailback

Post by M45 Tailback »

Excellent footage there Matthew! Thanks very much.
Steve S

Resurrect the A604!
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

skiddaw05 wrote:Why is the Severn Bridge still a motorway?

I’m sure there must be a nice A-road number which could be assigned to it.

Or what would happen if it was closed to all motor traffic? Would traffic levels on the Seventh Second (sorry, Second Severn) crossing be too high? It could be kept as a scheduled monument or something.
The bits either end lead only to motorway, so have to be motorway. I guess the crossing itself between junctions 1 and 2 could be reduced in status, but I'm not sure there'd be any point. Pedestrians, cyclists and horseriders, and IIRC mopeds, can already use the bridge on the parallel cycle path. Learner drivers can get their chaperone to drive one junction. That leaves tractors n stuff -- how many would actually want to cross the Severn there?

If the bridge were permanently closed, it would be because it was unsafe. That means unsafe to anything underneath it, as well as on it, so it would undoubtedly be demolished (as the rail bridge was when it became unsafe after the collision). But the rest of the M48 would remain, along with Aust services. This would be the biggest abandonment of a major piece of transport infrastructure since the Beeching closures on the railways. It would be interesting to see what happened to the motorway. It could be used for filming post-apocalyptic sci-fi series, I suppose...
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'd probably be replaced somehow - perhaps with a S2 viaduct given the current climate. Engineering has come a long way since 1966, so the M48 wouldn't be doomed to die I don't think.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Paul Townsend

Post by Paul Townsend »

Bryn666 wrote:I'd probably be replaced somehow - perhaps with a S2 viaduct given the current climate. Engineering has come a long way since 1966, so the M48 wouldn't be doomed to die I don't think.
The problem is that you have to go down a long way below the mud levels to find a solid foundation to build on, which is why the entire Severn span was a suspension bridge. A viaduct is unfortunately just not on.

At the site of the new bridge, the solid rocks are found just above at mean sea level for most of the way. (They are visible at low tide.) This bridge *is* a viaduct for most of its length - only the deep channel in the centre had to be crossed by a suspension span.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Cable-stayed Span actually...

{Ducks for cover}
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
A303Paul

Post by A303Paul »

I suspect that if there was the slightest whiff of the bridge being closed and demolished I supect grade 1 listing would appear overnight

What surprises me is that Aust Services are still going - they are quite nice though
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Doesn't anyone remember the cables being completely replaced in the late 80's? ( in the days when the toll rose to 50p each way )

....... in that EP article it makes it sound like they are 41 years old.............
surely they shouldn't fail every 20 years?

( 1st set lasted 25 years, 2nd 17-18 years...........)