GOOD roundabout deflections

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M5Lenzar
Banned

GOOD roundabout deflections

Post by M5Lenzar »

A contrast topic, I know, but as Bryn said a while ago, we do moan too much!

What are the best roundabout deflections you've seen?

One of my favourites is coming off the end of the NDLR at M5 J27. The left hand lane points directly at the M5 northbound on-slip. I consider this to be sensible as most traffic would be going that way.
Nicholas

Re: GOOD roundabout deflections

Post by Nicholas »

Any (mini) roundabout which doesn't need too much steering to go straight on! :D
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

This has one of the best approach angles. No need to go through brake pads or scuff tyres :D
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

M5Lenzar wrote:One of my favourites is coming off the end of the NDLR at M5 J27. The left hand lane points directly at the M5 northbound on-slip. I consider this to be sensible as most traffic would be going that way.
I'd agree there. You only have to look at the junction on a summer Saturday - coming off the M5 southbound onto the A361, traffic is queuing a good few miles back onto the motorway and towards J26. Going the other way, I've never known a queue to get off the link road. Ever.
shimtoan

Post by shimtoan »

Nicholas wrote:Any (mini) roundabout which doesn't need too much steering to go straight on! :D
or any steering at all
|| DFC latest | MLP | Dunkirk 0-3 South Normanton Ath | 25 3 7 15 26 61 -35 16 | 19 ||

Ginger 11/'12-02/'18 degu;Jordie 04/'05-04/'16 dog;Honey 01/'09-02/'11 mouse;Sam 02/'09-06/'11 gerbil;Jasmine 01/'09-11/'11 mouse;Angel 09/'11-06/'12 mouse;Tibbs 09/'96-09/'12 cat;Shini 02/'09-12/'12 gerbil;Tilly 09/'11-02/'13 mouse;Pip 09/'11-05/'13 mouse
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

The couple of mini-roundabouts on the A49 at Craven Arms must also be a good contender here...

Other than that I don't really have an issue with many roundabouts built prior to the early nineties, when mechanical sympathy, motorist/passenger comfort and freeflow seemed to be at least considered when it come to the design specification.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Can't fault the Redhill roundabout at the Nottingham end of the A614 (which was built with bigger things in mind). The problem of 614 traffic flying straight into the roundabout traffic has been mitigated by putting a fence up alongside the approach, forcing traffic to slow to an acceptable speed.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!