Where are the Little Chefs going?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ninny

Re: where are the little chefs going?

Post by ninny »

As a result of the recent prepack administration the sites listed and lots more of former Little Chef sites (some closed as far back as 2004) have been handed back to the landlord Travelodge and are being marketed for lease. If you search on the Christie and Co website there is a pdf showing all the vacant units. Sad times
Mattsignmaker

Post by Mattsignmaker »

Anyone know about this one in hellingsey? Was there last year and it was still open, although us and another couple were the only ones in there and the service was still bad!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=BN27+4D ... 57.64,,0,0
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

You mean Hellingly. Gone, one of the 2012 casualties.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice to see mid-century buildings such as the iconic Markham Moor LC have not only been saved from closure but also from the wrecking ball.
Regards,
Paul
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mattsignmaker wrote:Anyone know about this one in hellingsey? Was there last year and it was still open, although us and another couple were the only ones in there and the service was still bad!
That Little Chef was only a few miles from Eastbourne, and therefore most people would only be a few miles from their destination or on their journey (I know I contrasted its closure with the apparent continuing trading Five Oaks, though of course that is now closing), but it was a short way up the A267, not on the A22. Also, there are several other places to eat in the area, such as Boship Farm, Hailsham town, which has free parking, and there is a new service area at Polegate at the junction of the A22 and A27.
Paul wrote:Nice to see mid-century buildings such as the iconic Markham Moor LC have not only been saved from closure but also from the wrecking ball.
That one is now closed and boarded up.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

My feeling is that the management of LC opted out of active management of customer satisfaction years ago. 15 years ago they were OK at filling you up with something moderately satisfying. Then they decided to cut costs and leave the sites in the hands of teenagers who had no long term interest in promoting their workplace.
This was followed by a nosedive of public interest.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

As sad as this may sound, I think the only way that the chain could survive would be for it to be sold and completely revamped. Even if this means ditching the iconic name and logo.

I would have thought that LC sites closing mould have been advantageous to the like of McDonalds, Burger King or KFC, but perhaps the lack of other services facilities (namely fuel) have kept them away.

The problem is that the whole focus of food is shifting. If even McDonalds is struggling to survive in some town centres, how are other smaller chains going to manage?

Despite aiming at the budget concious, something like a Pound Bakery wouldn't work in such locations - it would be one extreme or the other (not enough custom or not enough food).

So, the question is, what do people want?
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Mattsignmaker

Post by Mattsignmaker »

Duncan wrote:
Mattsignmaker wrote:Anyone know about this one in hellingsey? Was there last year and it was still open, although us and another couple were the only ones in there and the service was still bad!
That Little Chef was only a few miles from Eastbourne, and therefore most people would only be a few miles from their destination or on their journey (I know I contrasted its closure with the apparent continuing trading Five Oaks, though of course that is now closing), but it was a short way up the A267, not on the A22. Also, there are several other places to eat in the area, such as Boship Farm, Hailsham town, which has free parking, and there is a new service area at Polegate at the junction of the A22 and A27.
Thats annoying as we use that travelodge, gonna have to travel for my fry up now!
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

OLD GIT wrote:Perhaps we need a SABRE guide to roadside catering places . :D
Actually, it was something I looked into setting up as a little website a couple of years back, in the days where I had a decent internet connection... I've got my own little network of roadside vans that I use on my trips, and indeed I have a reputation at work in which I get colleagues texting me and asking for suggestions.... I don't know if this is a reflection on my eating habits, or my road knowledge?!
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

OLD GIT

Post by OLD GIT »

I did post up some suggestions. Perhaps ,we need more.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I can easily supply info, as I mark cafes on my maps. Not burger vans though, as they tend to move around and can't always be relied on. They often leave the OPEN signs up when they are not there.
Impossible to keep completely up to date, as I would have to drive around Britain continuously just to keep track of changes. Dream job or what!!
I include garage cafes in this, like Esso On The Run and BP Wild Bean Cafe

Still, I know where they are, just not whether they are still open, except LC, where it is all too clear what is happening.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Duncan wrote:
Paul wrote:Nice to see mid-century buildings such as the iconic Markham Moor LC have not only been saved from closure but also from the wrecking ball.
That one is now closed and boarded up.
Yes, you're right. However I believe there is a campaign to get it listed.
Regards,
Paul
Mettie

where are the little chefs going?

Post by Mettie »

I always thought it was listed, and that's why the southbound off slip was built the way it was. Or was that just an urban myth I've heard for a while?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Mettie wrote:I always thought it was listed, and that's why the southbound off slip was built the way it was. Or was that just an urban myth I've heard for a while?
I can't find any record of it being listed. The long slip road is to provide access to the Little Chef, if it wasn't there the exit slip would be shorter.
OLD GIT

Post by OLD GIT »

Used to be one on the A444 heading to J3/M6. It shut roughly about the same time MacDonald's opened in a nearby trading estate .It then became a Indian takeaway ,and last time I was down that way was under new management as a restaurant.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Nicholas wrote:I would have thought that LC sites closing mould have been advantageous to the like of McDonalds, Burger King or KFC, but perhaps the lack of other services facilities (namely fuel) have kept them away.
Many LC sites had co-located Burger Kings for a while.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

My local one (A16/A17) lost the BK a few years ago but has kept the LC. If there's enough trade for LC then surely there was enough for BK, the queue was usually to the front door when I went in.
Only eaten at the LC once, rude staff & expensive food means we won't be back.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The BKs were only there as LC became a franchisee during the Granada ownership era - I think they went when Granada sold off the LC chain.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Another LC gone :(
Attachments
LC.jpg
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

That's the A456 at Hagley.

Next.....:lol:
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.