Where are the Little Chefs going?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Comstock
Banned

Re: Where are the Little Chefs going?

Post by Comstock »

shampooefficient wrote:The ex-LC on the A19, that became Mama Bs diner, is closed again. Have also noticed two have become adult stores, much to the entertainment of my missus, especially seeing my mums face as we pointed them out... ;)
Another roadside restuarant a bit south of the Barton one has become an adult store also.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=5 ... 8,,0,-4.76

Now I remeber this site as a 'kelly's kitchen' but it might have been a Little Chef at one point as I believe the brands merged?
Trainfan

Post by Trainfan »

Just been on my first A65 Lakes-Leeds trip for well over a year and am very sad to see the former Newby Little Chef seems to have struggled to make a go of it. Could never make my mind up whether this spot should be a licence to make money or the worst place ever to run a catering business. That said, it did surprise me when Little Chef rebuilt it from its hardboard clad transport café former incarnation in the 90's.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Aw, I forgot to celebrate the 10th anniversary of this thread a few days ago. One of the staples of SABRE it's been here almost as long as me.

And Little Chefs still exist :)

Derek
Free the A11
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

Yes, against all the odds they are still here. And when this thread was created, I thought "I'm not going in one", then when all the ones in Kent closed, I thought I should - and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Better than MacDonalds and BK.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

One on the A420 is now an "Authentic" American Diner. If I ever stop there I will have to have a clip of DDD with me on my laptop for comparison.
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

shampooefficient wrote:The ex-LC on the A19, that became Mama Bs diner, is closed again. Have also noticed two have become adult stores, much to the entertainment of my missus, especially seeing my mums face as we pointed them out... ;)
I noticed an 'adult store' adjacent to a filling station off the A1 as I headed north one evening but at the time I assumed I was hallucinating due to hunger and the effects of a pint of Costa's finest. I'd hate to have to stop off for fuel with a carful of inquisitive children...
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

I can think of one adult store in each direction on the A1 but I didn't think that either was adjacent to a filling station.
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

I may have been mistaken but I thought it was adjacent to or fairly near a BP station. Now is not a good time to do a Google search for "adult stores on A1"...
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

Halmyre wrote:I may have been mistaken but I thought it was adjacent to or fairly near a BP station. Now is not a good time to do a Google search for "adult stores on A1"...
There is one on the southbound carriageway at Stoke Rochford in Lincs, which was opposite a BP petrol station, meeting rooms and golf club, but the petrol station has now been demolished.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

There's an Adult store & adjacent fuel station on the A47 at Wisbech St Mary's, almost opposite the kids soft play place.
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

Fenlander wrote:There's an Adult store & adjacent fuel station on the A47 at Wisbech St Mary's, almost opposite the kids soft play place.
It's no longer an adult store, it's now a cafe again.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Sure there is one next to the Cambridgeshire A1M, and one in the Burton on Trent area of the A38, both in ex little chefs I think.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

One in Sawtry and one just north of Sandy on the A1 in Beds / Cambs.
Daughter was scandalised when her PHSE teacher said he used them.
I (who was a colleague) was not very surprised.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

The former Little Chef on the A17 at Long Sutton is now decked out in a blue livery and signs saying Bennys Diner.
James Heaton

Post by James Heaton »

Fenlander wrote:The former Little Chef on the A17 at Long Sutton is now decked out in a blue livery and signs saying Bennys Diner.
Drove past it this afternoon, lights were on and someone behind the counter.

Doesn't seem to have a website.

Good luck to them, I really hope they can make it work.

James
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I may have been mistaken but I thought it was adjacent to or fairly near a BP station. Now is not a good time to do a Google search for "adult stores on A1"..
Sorry for late reply to this but the adult store is in the old little chef north of redhouse near doncaster next to a new shell garage here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.62604 ... cBKAEg!2e0 if you cross onto the northbound it shows it as a lc still
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Newtown ex-little chef now a van sales site.

Imageex little chef newtown powys by Dskies, on Flickr
chris486
Account deactivated at user request

Post by chris486 »

This very decent fish and chip diner on the A6 at Forton has been in business for 6.5 years.

WP_20150403_002.jpg by EthelRedThePetrolHead, on Flickr

The proprietor knew it was a former Little Chef but didn't know how long it had been closed for.

I told him it was open for business as a Little Chef back in March 2007 because I went there. It shows how awful the food must have been at my school for Little Chef to seem like a treat - 30 years later, a trip to Little Chef was on my 'bucket list' for when I got a car for the first time.
Benny

Post by Benny »

I went to Little Chef at Peterborough yesterday for late breakfast with a mate before we headed down to Stondon Motor Museum which is sadly closing on Monday, for ever.

Excellent service by a keen and enthusiastic staff member, great tea as well, I ordered the Pancake Stack with berries and thoroughly enjoyed it and at £7.40 all in wasn't that expensive.
Living my life on the edge......of two counties!

Formerly known as Roverman

Still driving a British built car, made in a former Rover factory......
owen b

Post by owen b »

roverman wrote:before we headed down to Stondon Motor Museum which is sadly closing on Monday, for ever
:cry: That's a shame. I've been there a couple of times, it's local to me. It's very ramshackle but there's some fantastic vehicles in there.
Owen