Where are the Little Chefs going?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Re: where are the little chefs going?

Post by SteveA30 »

Landlords do seem to have been one more problem on top of the continual disruption caused by policy changes each time someone else takes over.
The LC at A31 west of Wimborne was one of the busiest, winter and summer but, the lease wasn't renewed, because of some dispute with the landlord. Sounds like they should own all their sites and then, settle down with one owner. Oh for the days of the 60's and 70's, when they were there year in year out, with no interference from speculators or big fish, who have no interest in the brand or, the public, just profiteering.
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

It's typical venture capital "asset stripping". Unfortunately it doesn't matter to RCapital whether a thousand people lose their jobs.

1. Sell the restaurants to gullible property investors with promises of a long term lease, knowing they are going to lose money having to pay rent.
2. Put the business into administration allowing you to renege on all those long term leases you've just signed.
3. Certainly don't invest the windfall from the sale of the sites back into the business.
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Little Chef Map from the mid-70's ( I rekon) :)
Attachments
Little Chef Map (Mid 1970's)
Little Chef Map (Mid 1970's)
Little Chef Map (Mid 1970's) South
Little Chef Map (Mid 1970's) South
Little Chef Map (Mid 1970's) North
Little Chef Map (Mid 1970's) North
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

And That little central bit I missed & the rear.
Attachments
Little Chef Map (Mid 1970's)Central
Little Chef Map (Mid 1970's)Central
Little Chef Map (Mid 1970's)Directory
vlad

Post by vlad »

Alan wrote:Anyway, in the process 5 more branches have closed.
Barton Mills North A11(The last former AJ's site under Little Chef ownership)
The Little Chef website claims that "Stoke" (i.e Talke - A34/A500 junction) is still open. Is it?

That used to be an AJ's (the Travelodge was a Granada Hotel at one time!).
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

The same undated LC map as mine. I've never seen one earlier so, perhaps that was the first one produced. Seems to be mid 1974, as the M5 ends at Bridgwater south (Dec 73) but, the M3 into London is open. The A38 dualling from Exeter is almost done and, many stretches were opened in 74, completing the dualling by July.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

SteveA30 wrote:The same undated LC map as mine. I've never seen one earlier so, perhaps that was the first one produced. Seems to be mid 1974, as the M5 ends at Bridgwater south (Dec 73) but, the M3 into London is open. The A38 dualling from Exeter is almost done and, many stretches were opened in 74, completing the dualling by July.
But it could be later - for instance the 1993 map has cartography from 1980!

However, I havn't looked thought all the lc maps yet but the other ones I've seen are all copyrighted.. which is why I put this one up!

Do you rekon the picture of the LC is on the A3?
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

It may be the A3 Milford branch. The other 2 at Butser Hill and south of Hindhead, were different from the one pictured.

The next LC map I have is 1982 by the AA and, has M54 under construction. The only other clues are closure dates. The 2 on the A38 at Lower Weare and Waterloo Cross, are open in the mid 70's map but gone by 82.
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

It's interesting to see where Little Chefs are listed as being open at... I notice the one at Shiptonthorpe was around back then! (And the BP Garage, which is STILL a BP Garage today!) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=russell ... 15000&z=15 See what I mean!

And then, there's ones I didn;t know existed... The one at Nafferton (listed as being on the A116-oops!) will have closed in about 1983-ish when the bypass opened... I think the building at the back was it...http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=russell ... 15000&z=18

The one at Barmston will have been near where the former Q8 garage is... I think this was it... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=russell ... 15000&z=15

The one that intrigues me the most is the Pocklington one... Growing up, the nearest Little Chef to me was always Shiptonthorpe, I never knew there was once one closer! http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=russell ... 15000&z=17 Was that REALLY once a Little Chef?
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Alan

Post by Alan »

I think the map dates from 1976/77. The reason I say this is that an ex-member of staff sent me the same map and had written this date on the corner. I have one that looks the same but has a couple of the sites missing so they must have done a 77/78 update too!

I don't know if this gets me Sabre brownie points or just a groan but, having seen how many have closed and have been knocked down since, I decided it was about time to start trying to find every Little Chef which has ever been and making a list which I am still working on with a postcode reference and directions to each site. As so often happens, it has grown arms and legs and now takes in AJ's, Kelly's Kitchen and Happy Eater too! Plus, three years on and it is still not complete so I may need the help of fellow Sabrers if you are keen.

There are a couple of maps I have seen on ebay older than the one posted, but I am not the only collector it seems and I have always been outbid at the last minute. I live in hope however that i'll get at least access to them one day!

With regards to the ones Mattemotorway has idenfied, Shiptonthorpe opened I think in 1972, closed in 2007 and was re-opened in 2009.

For Barmston I totally agree. I found some info on the web somewhere that identified it as here

For Nafferton and Pocklington, I never found either of these for definite but these were the two places I thought looked the most likely too so I'm glad you agree.

The picture of the one on the map had me stumped too, although I knew it had to be one besode an Esso so Godalming certainly fits the bill.

I'll make a list of the ones I still need to find this weekend and see if there are any glaringly obvious omissions. I'll happily share the list with anyone who wants too!
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Alan wrote:With regards to the ones Mattemotorway has idenfied, Shiptonthorpe opened I think in 1972, closed in 2007 and was re-opened in 2009.

For Barmston I totally agree. I found some info on the web somewhere that identified it as here

For Nafferton and Pocklington, I never found either of these for definite but these were the two places I thought looked the most likely too so I'm glad you agree.
I also know that of the 3 that aren't there any more, all of them had closed by 2001... I know this as I have an AA road atlas from that year that shows Little Chef and Travelodge locations!

I also have an AA Road Atlas from 1991 that shows them, but the part with those areas on is missing!

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Am I the only who has noticed that the LC list attached believes there to be an A40(M) near Ross?
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Alan wrote:I don't know if this gets me Sabre brownie points or just a groan but, having seen how many have closed and have been knocked down since, I decided it was about time to start trying to find every Little Chef which has ever been and making a list which I am still working on with a postcode reference and directions to each site. As so often happens, it has grown arms and legs and now takes in AJ's, Kelly's Kitchen and Happy Eater too! Plus, three years on and it is still not complete so I may need the help of fellow Sabrers if you are keen.

I'll make a list of the ones I still need to find this weekend and see if there are any glaringly obvious omissions. I'll happily share the list with anyone who wants too!
I'm happy to help with this one, especially with the Essex and London area. Did you want photos of sites or Google Earth images?
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

M5Lenzar wrote:Am I the only who has noticed that the LC list attached believes there to be an A40(M) near Ross?
Well, as I've already mentioned, it believes there to be an A116 in East Yorkshire (Oh sorry, 'Humberside'...)

B1040

Post by B1040 »

I was reflecting on the fate of LC as I drove from Alconbury to Letchworth today, passing several scenes of LC dereliction as well as a spot of reuse. I feel that a failure to advertise adequately is part of the problem. Bottom line with McDonald's is that they serve a fairly limited range of stuff, but do it well enough to keep their core market happy, and advertise with vigour and pride.
LC used to offer rather more than McD's (probably still do)- this could have been a strength - but there's no feeling (or even pretence) of pride, and not been for several years.
Lucy6226

Post by Lucy6226 »

vlad wrote:
Alan wrote:Anyway, in the process 5 more branches have closed.
Barton Mills North A11(The last former AJ's site under Little Chef ownership)
The Little Chef website claims that "Stoke" (i.e Talke - A34/A500 junction) is still open. Is it?

That used to be an AJ's (the Travelodge was a Granada Hotel at one time!).

I'm pretty sure that has gone now :(

I demand more Little Chefs closer to me, so I can indulge in their fantastic pancakes :msntongue:
Lucy :)

"It is a long road to ruin..."
NSWP

Post by NSWP »

Just had a look at LC website, they say 95 Restaurants due for closure will now restructure and remain open, something like that.
Recent statement only a few days old..chip butties here we come!
Cheers..LES

'Adventure before Dementia !'
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Stopped at Alfreton en route home this week from Brighton. We were the only customers but our food was of a good quality and served very quickly.

Apparently, the LCs that shut lately were given next to no notice - the papers heard before the managers did. All in all very sad.

We can thank Granada for totally ruining the brand in the 90s, to the point where only die hard loyalists have stuck by it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Bryn666 wrote:Stopped at Alfreton en route home this week from Brighton. We were the only customers but our food was of a good quality and served very quickly.

Apparently, the LCs that shut lately were given next to no notice - the papers heard before the managers did. All in all very sad.

We can thank Granada for totally ruining the brand in the 90s, to the point where only die hard loyalists have stuck by it.
Last time I stopped at Alfreton was in 1998 :o .. seems like yesterday. But one of my favorite LC's... I don't know why but it was just a nice place to refreash... maybe the high ceilings or the hotel kind of entrance gave it an air of what could have been acheived with LC.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Is Alfreton one of the Little Chefs in the locations Granada tried to develop TRSAs or am I confusing it with the one at the A38/A61 junction, which I think has closed? I know Warminster, Saltash and Colsterworth were, along, I think, with Monmouth, and Musselburgh, much to Alan's chagrin. Did they have Country Kitchens, or were they always AJ's? Also, wasn't the A34/A500 a Granada operation once? Edit - just read Vlad's post. Can anyone tell me what it was Granada did to Little Chefs? As I remember them under THF, they were open till 2200 and usually were fairly full, though even pre-Granada the service sometimes left a lot to be desired. I also find some of the shut downs rather odd. On the A31, they have closed Picket Post, which is part of a dedicated service area, and the Little Chef (a former Happy Eater IIRC), but have kept St Leonard's and Rufus Stone, which are in old, fairly run down buildings, going. Also, in my area, they have closed Hellingly, which is on a very busy Primary Route, the A22, yet kept Five Oaks, on the A29, a non-primary route, which does not get very heavy traffic, open. Does anyone know what they are basing the choices for closure on?