Where are the Little Chefs going?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

tom1977

Re: Where are the Little Chefs going?

Post by tom1977 »

Little Chef on A30 at Whiddon Down is no longer there - replaced by an independent café which has refurbished the old LC building.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Something went wrong at Sleaford today. The waitress came straight up to us and took a drinks order, and by the time I had finished in the toilets, the drinks were on the table.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Coming up the A420 at noon today I thought about trying the ex Little Chef "authentic American diner" but that has now been boarded up.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

B1040 wrote:Something went wrong at Sleaford today. The waitress came straight up to us and took a drinks order, and by the time I had finished in the toilets, the drinks were on the table.
You sure you just didn't spend an inordinately long time in the toilet :D
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
NSWP

Post by NSWP »

When I arrive at Heathrow on September 8, first thing I am going to do after a good sleep at the Bath Rd Premier Inn and a Full English Breakfast is to hit the road the next morning and look for a Little Chef luncheon stop. Have to hit the 'A' roads then. I doubt the cuisine has changed much in the last couple of years. Bacon Sarney still on? :laugh:
Cheers..LES

'Adventure before Dementia !'
James Heaton

Post by James Heaton »

ForestChav wrote:
B1040 wrote:Something went wrong at Sleaford today. The waitress came straight up to us and took a drinks order, and by the time I had finished in the toilets, the drinks were on the table.
Heading a bit further north, North Muskham A1 southbound is being converted to a Burger King and M&S Simply Food.

James
James Heaton

Post by James Heaton »

James Heaton wrote:
ForestChav wrote:
Heading a bit further north, North Muskham A1 southbound is being converted to a Burger King and M&S Simply Food.

James
And in the reopening corner - Barton Mills n-bound, the former AJs and Little Chef, is now 'Pancake and Waffle shack', opened last week. Haven't sampled yet. Good luck to them, hope it's a success. Always nice to see an empty premises reused.

James
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

So they serve pancakes while talking waffle. :wink:

Pancakes with maple syrup are fine but only without the sugar. LC sprinkle it on, unless you request them not to.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
avtur

Post by avtur »

The former Little Chef on the A55 at Penmaenmawr has recently reopened as "The Puffin Cafe" (a nod to Puffin Island which the site overlooks at the northern end of the Menai Straits).

The site has been closed for many years so it's good to see it reopen, it's adjacent to a Shell petrol station so hopefully will do well as a food and fuel stop.
TheLeeds

Post by TheLeeds »

nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

avtur wrote:The former Little Chef on the A55 at Penmaenmawr has recently reopened as "The Puffin Cafe" (a nod to Puffin Island which the site overlooks at the northern end of the Menai Straits).
Meanwhile the one at Halkyn on the A55 is now a Burger King.
Richard (Barrow)

Post by Richard (Barrow) »

The ex LC site on the westbound A590 near Grange is to become a Kitchen showroom.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Former Little Chef on the A90 Kingsway West, Dundee, is in the process of being renovated into a Subway.
Berk

Post by Berk »

tom1977 wrote:Little Chef on A30 at Whiddon Down is no longer there - replaced by an independent café which has refurbished the old LC building.
The same for the one near Morcott on the A47 in Rutland. Although it's actually more a bistro/restaurant and craft shop.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

NSWP wrote:When I arrive at Heathrow on September 8, first thing I am going to do after a good sleep at the Bath Rd Premier Inn and a Full English Breakfast is to hit the road the next morning and look for a Little Chef luncheon stop. Have to hit the 'A' roads then. I doubt the cuisine has changed much in the last couple of years. Bacon Sarney still on? :laugh:
Just look out for burger vans in layby's, get a real taste for British transport catering.

Just seen the date of your post - I hope your enjoyed your trip.
Lifelong motorhead
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

Berk wrote:The same for the one near Morcott on the A47 in Rutland. Although it's actually more a bistro/restaurant and craft shop.
I used to live three miles away from that, when it was still a Little Chef. One day we went there for supper just for a giggle. They had a specials board with "Peppered Steak - £4.50". I couldn't resist.

It was a burger with watery pepper sauce on it.
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The hyperbolic paraboloid roof of the former Little Chef on the A1 at Markham Moor appears to have been repaired or resurfaced or at least repainted, and now looks very smooth. Perhaps the building is going to be brought back into some sort of use.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

wrinkly wrote:The hyperbolic paraboloid roof of the former Little Chef on the A1 at Markham Moor appears to have been repaired or resurfaced or at least repainted, and now looks very smooth. Perhaps the building is going to be brought back into some sort of use.
Yes - noticed that the other day. I think there was a To Let sign as well.
alans

Post by alans »

Little Chef A18/A46 roundabout Laceby empty for many years and now demolished is being replaced by a new spar convenience store and I think maybe some petrol pumps
JamesA71

Post by JamesA71 »

It would appear that the former Little Chef at Dreghorn, Edinburgh is due to reopen as a Starbucks operated by Eurogarages. As yet it would appear that there is no set timescale for this but a job advert that I found said that it was due to open at the end of December, which has obviously now passed.

Sources

http://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Starbucks-E ... nt+Manager
http://www.eurogarages.com/sites/soon/