Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Halstead

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Halstead »

Big L wrote:A14 roadworks at Stowmarket.
A quick glance through the side mirrors should put the NSLs back to normal.

But it will make the roadworks signs look odd... :box:
6 years...
FurryBoots

Post by FurryBoots »

Drove past this recently. What muppet erected that one? :roll:
Storm2

Post by Storm2 »

It's not just the Brits that cock it up. Take a look at this taken down sign on the R191, not the R... whatever it says in the picture. Its replacement sign claims that Bailieborough is only 7km away from the picture, not 8...
Attachments
What a hilarious mistake!
What a hilarious mistake!

Balancing the books since 2017
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

FurryBoots wrote:Drove past this recently. What muppet erected that one? :roll:
Probably the same person that replaced this one with an internally illuminated sign with the apex upwards, that has yet to show up on Streetview! :twisted:
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Mettie wrote:Probably the same person that replaced this one with an internally illuminated sign with the apex upwards, that has yet to show up on Streetview! :twisted:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that triangle, it's got at least another decade's worth of service life left in it yet :roll: :wink:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Erath

Post by Erath »

Seems like the contractors on the Edinburgh Trams project are as apathetic as the citizens. Here's some roadworks in St Andrew's Square.
Xing.png
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

I thought twice about posting this as it's not a botch as such. It's just that there are so many colours on it and "all directions" clearly isn't the case.

Poole Harbour

Green, blue bordered, brown, grey, yellow...
dragonv480

Post by dragonv480 »

multiraider2 wrote:I thought twice about posting this as it's not a botch as such. It's just that there are so many colours on it and "all directions" clearly isn't the case.

Poole Harbour

Green, blue bordered, brown, grey, yellow...

Is this the signmakers equivilent of a cross-stitch "sampler" piece? :)
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

That lorry sign thinks it's in France! :D
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

multiraider2 wrote:Poole Harbour
I'm interested in the weight restriction sign. Why are vehicles over that height exempt?
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

M5Lenzar wrote:
I'm interested in the weight restriction sign. Why are vehicles over that height exempt?
It looks like turning right there gives you a maximum height of 15'3", so basically, all lorries turn right unless you're too tall for the bridge.
Mettie

Botched Roadsigns

Post by Mettie »

Conekicker wrote:
Mettie wrote:Probably the same person that replaced this one with an internally illuminated sign with the apex upwards, that has yet to show up on Streetview! :twisted:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that triangle, it's got at least another decade's worth of service life left in it yet :roll: :wink:
My thoughts exactly! Lol and to be honest, I hadn't even noticed it had been changed until I was sat at some unrelated TTLs just by the sign, and thought, 'what the .............' lol
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

M5Lenzar wrote:
There was something similar on the A46 - Lorries over 7.5T were prohibited through Bingham (except for access) - except those over 15ft high - this was because they didn't want lorries going through Bingham which is understandable - but those taller than that couldn't continue down the trunk road - so they were allowed through Bingham. I guess the same applies here.
FurryBoots

Post by FurryBoots »

kevjs wrote:
M5Lenzar wrote:
There was something similar on the A46 - Lorries over 7.5T were prohibited through Bingham (except for access) - except those over 15ft high - this was because they didn't want lorries going through Bingham which is understandable - but those taller than that couldn't continue down the trunk road - so they were allowed through Bingham. I guess the same applies here.
Yes, but in any case, if you turn left at that roundabout then you eventually come to this which doesn't look too much better for high vehicles and there doesn't seem to be another route to avoid it. I've only had a quick look around that area but I can't see a height restriction sign prior to those bridges.

Also, on the other side of that roundabout, we have this which I find irritating.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

What's your thoughts to this one that I saw in Rowley Regis this morning? I can't see why a simple weight / width restriction sign won't do.
Attachments
Moor Lane, Rowley Regis.jpg
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Matthew wrote:What's your thoughts to this one that I saw in Rowley Regis this morning? I can't see why a simple weight / width restriction sign won't do.
More effective in getting the message through? Or the road doesn't actually meet the requirements for a restriction?
michael769

Post by michael769 »

Problem with just signing restrictions is that, as has been seen from the "sat-nav numptie" media reports, a minority will believe their sat-nav over any signed restriction or warning (especially the group who have no idea of the dimensions of their vehicle). So perhaps the new (TSRGD approved) sat-nav sign may do the trick. Which begs the question why not just use that approved sign?

Alas I suspect there are those who use their sat-nav as a convenient excuse after the fact to cover over their blatant stupidity - I fear nothing will work for that group.
Last edited by michael769 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

FurryBoots wrote:Yes, but in any case, if you turn left at that roundabout then you eventually come to this which doesn't look too much better for high vehicles and there doesn't seem to be another route to avoid it. I've only had a quick look around that area but I can't see a height restriction sign prior to those bridges.
Those bridges have no restrictions or warnings therefore have at least 5m clearance.
Matthew wrote:What's your thoughts to this one that I saw in Rowley Regis this morning? I can't see why a simple weight / width restriction sign won't do.
It should be an "unsuitable for HGVs" sign, the latest version of which includes the symbol used on that sign.
Storm2

Post by Storm2 »

lol :laugh: That's a good one there.

Balancing the books since 2017
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

Bit of a different one - the road sign is actually correct, but they obviously got a bit confused with the paint...

I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.