Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jamesabout29

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Jamesabout29 »

Saw a couple on the M25 on the way home from Gatwick the other day. Must post them later
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

This exit must really be something special to get its own brown sign!
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

This bus lane sign yesterday had its orange bouncing balls switched on! Completely unnecessary.

The bus lane was not in operation at the time, so I'm struggling to understand what message they were meant to convey.
urbanfox

Post by urbanfox »

The flashing red 'X's on the gantries 800 yards before the closure starts seem to cause all sorts of bother, as everyone has a bit of a panic and tries to get into the lane that isn't closed far earlier than need be
Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

This one can probably be forgiven, in the circumstances, but roadgeeks will probably still come over all faint at the many mistakes it displays...!
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

What's the arrow here all about?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
chris486
Account deactivated at user request

Post by chris486 »

JamesA44 wrote:This exit must really be something special to get its own brown sign!
The sight of the two little yellow bollards cowering behind the sign really tickled me - it looks like they are skiving off from important duties elsewhere.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

M3 J9 - new signs have just gone up, referring to one of the exits as (A34), which at first I thought was an interesting admission as to the A33/A34/A272 multiplex's number.

However I then noticed the lanes either side are signed as (M3(N)) and (M3(S)) respectively. Great!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
urbanfox

Post by urbanfox »

They must have small HGVs in Ilkeston.

Or should that be HCVs?
Benny

Post by Benny »

Staffs. has form for dodgy HGV signs. I posted one that used lower case letters and had a grocers apostrophe throw in!
Living my life on the edge......of two counties!

Formerly known as Roverman

Still driving a British built car, made in a former Rover factory......
urbanfox

Post by urbanfox »

Whatever it is they mean by cars and LGVs only

I don't think it's LGVs, through this gate. Given that you wouldn't get much more than that van through, I suspect the term they were after is actually vans.

A few other points related to this entrance/exit actually:

1) I've only ever seen vehicles coming out of there
2) There is now a No Entry sign on the gates, when previously there was an arrow (see the Streetview History) - so maybe right turns there are now completely banned anyway (there are permanent no right/left turn arrows on the appropriate lights.
3) Late at night, the lights have an annoying habit of showing a green light to that gate, when it's even less likely something is going to come out of it.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Light Goods Vehicle? ie. van ?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
vlad

Post by vlad »

urbanfox wrote:A few other points related to this entrance/exit actually:
That entrance always used to be tidal flow - inbound only in the morning and outbound only in the evening. If you zoom in on the no entry signs you'll spot that they look a little odd - this is because they're hinged and the authorities swap it between "no entry" and "ahead only" depending on the time of day.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
urbanfox

Post by urbanfox »

Hmm, will have to look out for that. Still never noticed anyone turn in there though, I'm sure.
Big L wrote:Light Goods Vehicle? ie. van ?
LGV is what HGVs are called 'these days' though (Large goods vehicle). Although slightly confusingly, the tax disc on a van does say LGV.

If they insist on using 'short hand' for a 3 letter word, it should be LCV. Light Commercial Vehicle.

Probably best just use the word 'van' though - people know what one of those is.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I saw an upside down when red light shows wait here sign today at temporary traffic lights on A647 Queensbury Road and it's just inside Calderdale. What have you got to say for yourself Bryn :evil:
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Truvelo wrote:I saw an upside down when red light shows wait here sign today at temporary traffic lights on A647 Queensbury Road and it's just inside Calderdale. What have you got to say for yourself Bryn :evil:
"G'day ya Pommy drongo"? :wink: :D
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Truvelo wrote:I saw an upside down when red light shows wait here sign today at temporary traffic lights on A647 Queensbury Road and it's just inside Calderdale. What have you got to say for yourself Bryn :evil:
Standards have slipped since I left last July? ;-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Garsty

Post by Garsty »

This bridge here, has been having some work done on it recently and it has this rather awful speed signing either side:
Attachments
Picture
Picture
A935

Post by A935 »

This botched sign has made the local paper in Dundee. It was red for about a week after it was put up in February but as it's just a laminated piece of paper it was no surprise that it faded! There was nothing wrong with that bit of road being a 40 anyway, just another of Dundee city Council's stupid speed limit changes. Everyone still does 40 along there anyway.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

A935 wrote:This botched sign has made the local paper in Dundee. It was red for about a week after it was put up in February but as it's just a laminated piece of paper it was no surprise that it faded! There was nothing wrong with that bit of road being a 40 anyway, just another of Dundee city Council's stupid speed limit changes. Everyone still does 40 along there anyway.
Ironically, there is a proper "New 30mph limit in force" sign, at the other end, but it is positioned well in advance of the new terminal signs, where the limit is still 40. :roll: