Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Johnathan404 »

Bryn666 wrote:They were thinking the A329(M) might eventually end up around there, but the temporary stub has been signed incorrectly with a 'sharp deviation of route' chevron. Whoops!
If it's a mistake, it's definitely been done before!
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
A325Ham

Post by A325Ham »

I saw a new sign on the A3 near the new tunnel today. It was a green sign with entirely white text saying "For Haslemere follow Hindhead A333". Is this correct, it just doesn't look right.
M4Mark

Post by M4Mark »

Bryn666 wrote:Like what always stops urban roads - NIMBYs and probably a shedload of utility diversions that looked too scary to move.
In this case the NIMBY was Oxfordshire CC. who did not want Berkshire CC. to complete the Cross Town Route project (which even had it's own logo I have it on an old drawing) which would have extended the A329(M) from Sutton Seeds roundabout (where it crosses the A4) across the river and round to this point and encouraged more traffic to head north and south through South Oxfordshire using this route instead of the M40 or A34. It also faced environmental impact concerns regarding the river.

It pretty much died with Berkshire CC. when it got split up into the unitary authorities in about 1998 iirc, it's raised it's head a few times again when elections come round but the closest it got was when it was proposed to be a bus or public transport only link road, but funding then becomes the next problem. A303Chris was probably at Berkshire CC. at the time so knows the history better than I do.
Bryn666 wrote: They were thinking the A329(M) might eventually end up around there, but the temporary stub has been signed incorrectly with a 'sharp deviation of route' chevron. Whoops!
The red and white barrier marking would have been correct. Like this:
http://g.co/maps/3vkzu
I don't think that's completely correct Bryn, that is a Direction 36 Temporary Sign so may be placed only in connection with the execution of works on or near a road or a temporary obstruction thereon.
Given the length of time those chevrons have been in Reading (as long as I can remember) it seems to do the job. I think a line of hazard marker posts with yellow reflectors would be the compliant way of doing it.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

Noticed one today, there's a VAS 30 roundel here that has a flat top 3 like a PW sign.

Who would make such a thing in this day and age?
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Johnathan404 wrote:If it's a mistake, it's definitely been done before!
And not forgetting M65 J6...

"Sharp deviation" is relative to the road, so in the case of the A329 the lanes being shunted two lanes to the left, away from the central reserve, could possibly warrant a warning.
Burns

Post by Burns »

I noticed this roundabout sign in Elgin yesterday, it doesn't look right to me.

I also noticed that at the roundabout with the A941, Perth is signposted as the destination. Surely Grantown-on-Spey or Aviemore would be a more logical choice here?

Finally, this one isn't botched, I just thought it was funny.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Dougman wrote:Noticed one today, there's a VAS 30 roundel here that has a flat top 3 like a PW sign.

You mean it's working?! :lol:

It was showing only a red circle for a while...
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Burns wrote:I noticed this roundabout sign in Elgin yesterday, it doesn't look right to me.
That's pretty awful.

1 - letters are too closely spaced in "Aberdeen"
2 - "B9010" should be the same size as all other text
3 - not enough space between the edge of the white panels and the text inside them
4 - "Local" should (I assume) say "Local traffic only", unless there really is a village called "Local" nearby...
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Burns wrote:I noticed this roundabout sign in Elgin yesterday, it doesn't look right to me.

I also noticed that at the roundabout with the A941, Perth is signposted as the destination. Surely Grantown-on-Spey or Aviemore would be a more logical choice here?
All the signs at the roundabout by Dr Grays Hospital have wrong text sizes and spacing.
You missed the one with the white panel for "Fraserburgh (A98)" at the A941 junction.

And yes, all signs in Elgin direct to Perth, I think they have delusions of grandeur signing destinations over 130 miles away and, ironically, another town which pretends to be a city, but I don't think Perth returns the favour.
But the A941 used to be a primary route, and many of the signs are still green, so Perth is the next primary destination reached.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

novaecosse wrote:
Dougman wrote:Noticed one today, there's a VAS 30 roundel here that has a flat top 3 like a PW sign.

You mean it's working?! :lol:

It was showing only a red circle for a while...
Indeed it is, although it was on constantly with no traffic approaching. :sigh:
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

A325Ham wrote:I saw a new sign on the A3 near the new tunnel today. It was a green sign with entirely white text saying "For Haslemere follow Hindhead A333". Is this correct, it just doesn't look right.
"For X follow Y" is a fairly common instruction.

I think they forgot to put Haslemere on the signs initially, so added that to avoid the resigning.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Lockwood wrote:
A325Ham wrote:I saw a new sign on the A3 near the new tunnel today. It was a green sign with entirely white text saying "For Haslemere follow Hindhead A333". Is this correct, it just doesn't look right.
"For X follow Y" is a fairly common instruction.

I think they forgot to put Haslemere on the signs initially, so added that to avoid the resigning.
Although A333 should be yellow on that particular sign. Or maybe "Hindhead A333" should be on a white non-primary patch?? No, I'll go with the former.
Twamgle

Post by Twamgle »

Bryn666 wrote:I've seen these as well, they look very odd - presumably the blank panels will have patches applied to them in due course.

Also, which city centre is it referring to? Salford? Manchester?
Also the black arrow should be on the right of the legend as that's the side of the sign the carriageway is on, and 'Centre' as in 'City Centre' should not start with a capital as that is a description of the destination and not its name or title!
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Twamgle wrote:Also the black arrow should be on the right of the legend as that's the side of the sign the carriageway is on, and 'Centre' as in 'City Centre' should not start with a capital as that is a description of the destination and not its name or title!
TSRGD says it should be "..centre", but you will find differing opinions on whether it is a title or a description. "Town Centre" and "City Centre" are fairly common occurrences on signs.

On a similar point of capitalisation, all the signs at this roundabout on the B8082 sign "Druid glen" as a destination - I'm wondering if the designer though it was a description and there is actually a glen where druids reside.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Glen wrote:On a similar point of capitalisation, all the signs at this roundabout on the B8082 sign "Druid glen" as a destination - I'm wondering if the designer though it was a description and there is actually a glen where druids reside.
I would think "Raigmore hospital" should be "Raigmore Hospital", too?
kc1

Post by kc1 »

This may be fine, but looks a bit unusual http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=green+s ... 33,,2,2.86

Opinions?
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

orudge wrote:I would think "Raigmore hospital" should be "Raigmore Hospital", too?
Yes, because it's the name of the hospital.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

I find "Locks heath Shopping Centre" a bit ugly to see.
a1adam

Post by a1adam »

Someone in Derbyshire decided that Foolow isn't worthy of a capital F.

All place names on road signs should be capitalised, as any fule kno.
dragonv480

Post by dragonv480 »

Sheffield seems to have an occasional "thing" for mini-sized signs, such as this miniature End plate, and The cutest little deviation chevron ever seen (closer up)

The End plate seems an obvious botch, but not sure what regs apply to minimum sizes of deviation signs?
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson