Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

drm567

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by drm567 »

Rob590 wrote:
drm567 wrote:Not exactly a bodge but a mystery. Why should cyclists be prohibited from riding up a residential road here in Watford?

David
Very odd. Further down the street there's a second sign which might make more sense if referring to the pathway between the two buildings, although having it at the start of the road is clearly wrong. And there's also evidence that it's ignored in the attached image!
That is very strange!

I did wonder if there's a footpath under the M1 there, I don't think there is but I'll have a look this afternoon. (it's 5 minutes walk). Looking at the historic OS and other maps there's no sign of a legacy path which might explain it. Perversely the sign that I noticed is in Watford DC, while the other one at the far end of Peregrin Close is in Hertsmere DC. I did try reporting the original sign to HertsCC but there automated on-line system doesn't include an entry for bodged signs (!) and they are a bit shy about publicising a direct email.

David
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

urbanfox wrote:I'm assuming it's as a result of it being on a pretty steep hill, but this overheight vehicles warning sign was flashing up as cars were approaching down the slope. As you got a bit nearer, it worked it out and stopped, but still seems potentially a bit 'boy who cried wolf'.
... and being an arch bridge, it's a botch to stick a regulatory low headroom sign up on the bridge too!
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
drm567

Post by drm567 »

drm567 wrote:
Rob590 wrote:
drm567 wrote:Not exactly a bodge but a mystery. Why should cyclists be prohibited from riding up a residential road here in Watford?

David
Very odd. Further down the street there's a second sign which might make more sense if referring to the pathway between the two buildings, although having it at the start of the road is clearly wrong. And there's also evidence that it's ignored in the attached image!
That is very strange!

I did wonder if there's a footpath under the M1 there, I don't think there is but I'll have a look this afternoon. (it's 5 minutes walk). Looking at the historic OS and other maps there's no sign of a legacy path which might explain it. Perversely the sign that I noticed is in Watford DC, while the other one at the far end of Peregrin Close is in Hertsmere DC. I did try reporting the original sign to HertsCC but there automated on-line system doesn't include an entry for bodged signs (!) and they are a bit shy about publicising a direct email.

David
Just been to have a snoop around. That isn't an alleyway between buildings, it's a doorway entrance to the flats.

I must get a life, but I'll email Watford BC, with no expectation of a reply!

David
Erath

Post by Erath »

Had to post this strange thing I found in Dunoon. It seems to be demarking the free and paid sections of a car park, but it's not the way I'd have done it!
Dunoon car park.jpg
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Erath wrote:Had to post this strange thing I found in Dunoon. It seems to be demarking the free and paid sections of a car park, but it's not the way I'd have done it!
it also shows a cross roads (road carries on straight ahead) when it's obviously not.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

urbanfox wrote:I'm assuming it's as a result of it being on a pretty steep hill, but this overheight vehicles warning sign was flashing up as cars were approaching down the slope. As you got a bit nearer, it worked it out and stopped, but still seems potentially a bit 'boy who cried wolf'.
I tracked back up the hill to the detector and it may be due the pole on the left ( going downhill ) being well into the hedge.

It's possible that the system is detecting a vehicle, switching on the IR beam and that is being disturbed by the greenery, hence the false indication. :bang:
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

These three get on my nerves...

1. 20mph - :thumbsup: , but a mini roundabout sign before the junction... No
2. What? The speed limit is now 10mph (on the junction sign might I add) and the mini roundabout is now a junction? (with weird destinations)
3. I give up... 20mph again, where is the original and not additional parking and why the Warning triangle!!!

:ipunch: :hurl:
Attachments
OK... (640x480).jpg
What... (640x480).jpg
Give up and go home (640x480).jpg
Last edited by Nathan_A_RF on Fri Apr 18, 2014 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Erath wrote:Had to post this strange thing I found in Dunoon. It seems to be demarking the free and paid sections of a car park, but it's not the way I'd have done it!
Dunoon car park.jpg
Why would anyone go to the car park where you'd have to pay when there is a free one right next to it?
Squigs

Post by Squigs »

This is a permanent sign at the south side of the forth road bridge.

I wonder how many vehicles are wider than 72 tonnes?
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (178.56 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
drm567

Post by drm567 »

As a seasoned pedant I could point out that the notice only refers to vehicles that are over 2.9 metres wide AND over 73 tonnes weight, it should say 'over 2.9 metres OR over 73tonnes weight', as it is a vehicle that is (say) 2.8 metres wide and over 73 tonnes is OK.

I think I've got my logic right, I'm only running on 23 brain cells this morning.

David
kc1

Post by kc1 »

Spotted this in East Kilbride yesterday. Sorry for the quality - it was taken as a back seat passenger!
Attachments
image.jpg
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Squigs wrote:This is a permanent sign at the south side of the forth road bridge.

I wonder how many vehicles are wider than 72 tonnes?
Is the "NEXT SIGN" not the no u-turns one immediately behind it?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

There's a wonderfully-bodged temporary roundabout sign at the new Thrumpton junction on the A453 - the 'roundabout' symbol is a thin black circle with three white lines scratched through them.

Didn't get a picture as I'm always driving.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
si404

Post by si404 »

kc1 wrote:Spotted this in East Kilbride yesterday. Sorry for the quality - it was taken as a back seat passenger!
Well, that's one way to sign 1100yds! I'm guessing they put "1km in miles" into Google, and knew that you can't do decimals on signs, bit can do fractions.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

TfL have found a very cheap way of converting this roundabout to magic. It only costs one extra sign!
Attachments
6fc9uzEl[1].jpg
Last edited by Fahad on Sat Apr 19, 2014 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

si404 wrote:
kc1 wrote:Spotted this in East Kilbride yesterday. Sorry for the quality - it was taken as a back seat passenger!
Well, that's one way to sign 1100yds! I'm guessing they put "1km in miles" into Google, and knew that you can't do decimals on signs, bit can do fractions.
You can always put 1100yds on the sign... ;-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
urbanfox

Post by urbanfox »

Squigs

Post by Squigs »

Seems reasonable to me to ban vehicles that wide from an urban street.

Doh!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Can anyone see what the problem is with this sign?

It's actually quite appropiate as the layout really is as confusing as the sign is.

The positioningof this sign really bugs me too.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

I have only glimpsed it from a bus but there was a road in the Olympic Park area of stratford that appears to have a cycle track in the carriageway and a no cycling sign. Street View still shows the area under construction so I can't post a link.

Hopefully at slow speed on a bike the whole thing is a bit clearer.