Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Chris5156 »

That's a very long way to Buxton!
Ben710

Re: Botched Roadsigns M6 and M55

Post by Ben710 »

These beauties
I can think of a number of reasons for the above (Just in case you can't see it; "M6" chopsticks instead of "M55" or even "M55 (M6)".)

My theories:
A) Sloppiness: "M6 J32 is only x yards away, this bit must be M6" -On Google I can't find any other M6 chopsticks at the end of the main M55 westbound carriageway...

B)Like for like replacement from previous sign(s) of the M6 originally ending at this junction -Although of course M55 J1 and M6 J32 have changed significantly since the Preston bypass opened.
chris486
Account deactivated at user request

Post by chris486 »

Chris5156 wrote: That's a very long way to Buxton!
I didn't notice this on the road run. Long Hill isn't called Long Hill for nothing.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Ben710 wrote:These beauties
I can think of a number of reasons for the above (Just in case you can't see it; "M6" chopsticks instead of "M55" or even "M55 (M6)".)

My theories:
A) Sloppiness: "M6 J32 is only x yards away, this bit must be M6" -On Google I can't find any other M6 chopsticks at the end of the main M55 westbound carriageway...

B)Like for like replacement from previous sign(s) of the M6 originally ending at this junction -Although of course M55 J1 and M6 J32 have changed significantly since the Preston bypass opened.
Essentially it is to avoid confusing the average driver who is looking for the M6, bearing in mind a lot of traffic from Fleetwood used to come this way prior to improvements to the A585 in the early 80s. The signs have never really been updated, indeed the new signalised layout repeats the information.

It's only an error to us roadgeeks ;-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
chris486
Account deactivated at user request

Post by chris486 »

Bryn666 wrote:

My theories:

Essentially it is to avoid confusing the average driver who is looking for the M6, bearing in mind a lot of traffic from Fleetwood used to come this way prior to improvements to the A585 in the early 80s. The signs have never really been updated, indeed the new signalised layout repeats the information.

It's only an error to us roadgeeks ;-)
Didn't the original signs at Park Lane roundabout say "Birmingham M1" in a similar fashion? In both cases it makes sense.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

It may not be strictly accurate but I can't see what would be gained by putting "M55" on them. M55 is not signposted there and as soon as you join that road it ends, with both options being the M6. It is, in every practical sense, a sliproad on to the M6. It looks like a good, practical decision to me.

Plus, of course, that bit of road may actually be M6 - it wouldn't altogether surprise me to learn that the M55 actually starts on the flyover across the roundabout and not at junction 32.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

http://goo.gl/maps/3f3KH
Spotted on the Peak District meet-up.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

urbanfox wrote:Was a portable VMS sign on the A50 east of Derby displaying 'Road Closed Overnight' or something equally informative this morning.

Then on the stretch down to J24 was a yellow sign saying

'Road closed here
[Dates]
Night time only'

Great.

Is that just a get out which allows them to put the cones out at whatever time they fancy?
More annoying, if you didn't see the tiny yellow sign the other night (i.e. me), you end up at the roundabout and have to double back on yourself to J1 and then sneak through the town on the non motorway diversion route to join the M1 s/bound!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Ben710

Post by Ben710 »

@Chris486 and @CHris5156
After double checking google streetview the, entirety of the junction seems to refer to the M55 E as M6, It does seem to be the simplest solution to avoid ambiguity for traffic trying to go to anywhere that doesn't have a beach. :P
This possibility didn't occur to me, an excellent botch then. Thanks very much for the clarification.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Chris5156 wrote:Plus, of course, that bit of road may actually be M6 - it wouldn't altogether surprise me to learn that the M55 actually starts on the flyover across the roundabout and not at junction 32.
I think this clears it up.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Nicholas wrote:
Chris5156 wrote:Plus, of course, that bit of road may actually be M6 - it wouldn't altogether surprise me to learn that the M55 actually starts on the flyover across the roundabout and not at junction 32.
I think this clears it up.
Well, that's told me!
Ben710

Post by Ben710 »

I understand that legal orders are published in this way, but as a nondriver/forum newbie I'm struggling to connect how the above article relates to the M55/M6 other than that the orders concern them. If somebody could clarify that the orders refer to 'on the ground' as it were, I'd be most grateful.

@Chris5156
From reading CBRD, your reaction surprises me. I wouldn't have thought that for such as a distinguished section of mototorway, and a person so informed about such stretch, that there would be anything surprising left to learn! :)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Ben710 wrote:I understand that legal orders are published in this way, but as a nondriver/forum newbie I'm struggling to connect how the above article relates to the M55/M6 other than that the orders concern them. If somebody could clarify that the orders refer to 'on the ground' as it were, I'd be most grateful.
Simple, without those orders, restrictions cannot legally be imposed. If it was a speed restriction and the wrong road number was stated, then the limit would not be enforceable - if cameras were in use then that could result in a lot of fines being overturned. Likewise with a closure, with a wrong number, what was to stop someone removing the cones and driving through roadworks, only to say if stopped "well the order has the wrong number, so you can't legally stop me!"
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Ben710 wrote:From reading CBRD, your reaction surprises me. I wouldn't have thought that for such as a distinguished section of mototorway, and a person so informed about such stretch, that there would be anything surprising left to learn! :)
I don't know everything! I might know a lot about a particular bit of road but it's very rare that I've ever gone looking for the legal orders that apply to it.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

I like the idea used at M55 J1 there. IMHO it should be how such roads are signed - for example M5 J1 towards Ray Hall also leads inexorably to the M6.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

M5Lenzar wrote:I like the idea used at M55 J1 there. IMHO it should be how such roads are signed - for example M5 J1 towards Ray Hall also leads inexorably to the M6.
True, but there's a mile or two of undivided M5 first, so M5(M6) makes sense. At Broughton, the M55 splits pretty much immediately you head east, so you'd be confronted with signs for M6(N) and M6(S) straightaway. An M55 sign would be redundant.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

Spotted this one today in London. Never seen a portmanteau sign like this before...
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

This sign looks wrong, and the positioning even worse.
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

It looks quite elderly, with amendments over the years that have made it a mess. Presumably it does the job.

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

Big Trip In A Big (Now Little) Car! (new)
Serena's Mr Floppy Collection
My other pet project!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

This and this make a cracking combination.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.