Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

MotorwayGuy

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by MotorwayGuy »

I suspected that might be the case, as I have seen several similar and newish signs with the same diagram. I think it looks a little odd how the stroke thickness on the roundabout is thinner than the through route though.

Interestingly, the original sign is still in situ there too.
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

I have spotted these two this week. First does the A322 go to Aldershot

And is the A281 is now primary.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Reading

Post by Reading »

It is and always has been the main Horsham/Guildford route (and that is the spot of many a bad crash - due to overtakes in the hidden dips south of there or people coming round corner to north too fast and hitting slow local traffic crossing that xroads)
Jam35

Post by Jam35 »

This (slightly NSFW) sign from Scotland is doing the rounds. Clear botch: the corners are too square.
bikingbunny

Post by bikingbunny »

On the old A34 between Alderley Edge and Wilmslow near the Kings head pub there are still signs for M63! :o
mnb20

Post by mnb20 »

The sign itself isn't a bodge, but I think this is dangerous:
https://goo.gl/maps/64pMq9YrEKC2

The sign shows that the two lanes on the slip road will add to the main road without you needing to merge. And from the point where the sign is, this is true. But from the location of my link, where you can clearly see the sign, the right hand lane has to merge with an additional slip road first.
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

mnb20 wrote:The sign itself isn't a bodge, but I think this is dangerous:
But from the location of my link, where you can clearly see the sign, the right hand lane has to merge with an additional slip road first.
And the sign that would help you to know that is nicely hidden behind this lamppost
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

What's wrong with this sign then :roll:
RichieGraham

Post by RichieGraham »

MotorwayGuy wrote:What's wrong with this sign then :roll:
Well, obviously it's not been mounted on its pole centrally.
I'm so embarassed that I wish everybody else would just die; Bender Bending Rodrẽguez, Futurama
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!
What's wrong with this sign then
Apart from the untidy mounting, this is a classic example of wassocks trying to use something they've not had adequate experience or training for!

1) For starters - the sign should NOT be green ;

2) The chevron is far too wide in proportion to the dimensions of the sign ;

3) The correct design is a white-background sign with black lettering/chevron (and a narrower chrvron more correctly proportioned) and no patches of any sort - the "(A206)" is further along so should be black letters on white!

Chris Williams
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Apart from the fact that it should use a white sign rather than a green sign with white panels, the font weight and/or spacing is wrong, the line spacing is too tight even without considering that you need block spacing because there is a two-line destination, text is centred rather than left-aligned, and even if the panelling was correct then (A206) should be included in the same panel as the destinations.

Apart from that ... well let's see, they've got the chevron pointing the right way!
Viator

Post by Viator »

Quite apart from the directional signage, I'd like to point to the bollards at all the exits from the roundabout. Surely they ought to be "plain face" and not "keep left" (diagram 610)? I occasionally see this at other roundabouts too, but feel it can't be correct. What do the professionals think?
Last edited by Viator on Sun Nov 29, 2015 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

mnb20 wrote:The sign itself isn't a bodge, but I think this is dangerous:
https://goo.gl/maps/64pMq9YrEKC2

The sign shows that the two lanes on the slip road will add to the main road without you needing to merge. And from the point where the sign is, this is true. But from the location of my link, where you can clearly see the sign, the right hand lane has to merge with an additional slip road first.
I'm not a fan of merges in the middle/right of the carriageway. If it's unsafe to proceed, you're in an impossible situation - either having to stop, cross the tigertail illegally to bail left, or force your way into a live lane

When the merge is from the left it makes much more sense - you can bail onto the hard shoulder - or on a normal D/C at least bail onto the grass
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Left lane merges and right lane gains reduce capacity though; everyone moves out of the gained lane to let lorries merge in... This screws up the M6/M61 merge every morning.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
dragonv480

Post by dragonv480 »

This one on the next exit is iffy also...
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

ais523

Post by ais523 »

Andy33gmail wrote:I'm not a fan of merges in the middle/right of the carriageway. If it's unsafe to proceed, you're in an impossible situation - either having to stop, cross the tigertail illegally to bail left, or force your way into a live lane

When the merge is from the left it makes much more sense - you can bail onto the hard shoulder - or on a normal D/C at least bail onto the grass
Bryn666 wrote:Left lane merges and right lane gains reduce capacity though; everyone moves out of the gained lane to let lorries merge in... This screws up the M6/M61 merge every morning.
I checked the DMRB on the issue. It says the preferred option is normally to merge the right lane and gain the left lane because of the issues involving lorries that were mentioned above, but specifically allows merging the left lane and gaining the right lane in "circumstances where it is appropriate" (although doesn't explain what those are). My guess would be situations where there aren't many lorries expected to be using the junction.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

djw1981 wrote:came across this peach today https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Til ... 5b!6m1!1e1
What about it? It's just old.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5