Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

kevjs

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by kevjs »

Truvelo wrote:
ForestChav wrote:http://g.co/maps/qtyz7

I still haven't worked out why 2 signs for Nottingham are needed here.
Perhaps there's been a crash which took out one of the darker green signs and a new one has been installed with both flag signs on one board but the remaining older sign has yet to be removed?
If it's yet to be removed it's been forgotten about!
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

Octaviadriver wrote:These two street names face each other in Rothwell, Northamptonshire. Sorry that the second is a bit shaky!

The first one is the correct spelling.
On a similar note...
St James St.jpg
St James's Street
St Jamess Street
or
St James Street?

Nottingham city centre.
AndrewGPaul

Post by AndrewGPaul »

The second one looks to have the apostrophe - it's just rather small.
SC2

Post by SC2 »

James's looks awful :shock:
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Truvelo wrote:
ForestChav wrote:http://g.co/maps/qtyz7

I still haven't worked out why 2 signs for Nottingham are needed here.
Perhaps there's been a crash which took out one of the darker green signs and a new one has been installed with both flag signs on one board but the remaining older sign has yet to be removed?
Well I did wonder about that, but then surely they would replace like with like.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

AndrewGPaul wrote:The second one looks to have the apostrophe - it's just rather small.
It's a different colour though, looks more like muck when you are up close. Of course with the state of the sign it's possible it's been worn away / vandalised.
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Which one of these is botched?
http://g.co/maps/h25v5
http://g.co/maps/pqgz6

The second one is meant to say "THE SOUTH" not "A1 SOUTH" too, isn't it?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

crazyknightsfan wrote:Which one of these is botched?
http://g.co/maps/h25v5
http://g.co/maps/pqgz6

The second one is meant to say "THE SOUTH" not "A1 SOUTH" too, isn't it?
They're both botched.

The first leads directly onto the A1 and so should be entirely white-on-green, with yellow route number, and the top line should read "The SOUTH".

The second could either say "A1 South" (all in yellow) or "The SOUTH A1" (route number only in yellow). But not what's there.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The first one is correct if it was installed prior to 1994 :D
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Chris5156 wrote:The second could either say "A1 South" (all in yellow)
Since when was that allowed as opposed to "A1(S)"?

I've seen so many "A<number> <Direction>" as opposed to "A<number>(<D>)" and just thought it was a complete lack of respect for the rules but if you're saying it's valid to sign in the first pattern then that would explain it! I still think the second form is more concise and elegant, though.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Keiji wrote:
Chris5156 wrote:The second could either say "A1 South" (all in yellow)
Since when was that allowed as opposed to "A1(S)"?

I've seen so many "A<number> <Direction>" as opposed to "A<number>(<D>)" and just thought it was a complete lack of respect for the rules but if you're saying it's valid to sign in the first pattern then that would explain it! I still think the second form is more concise and elegant, though.
My bad - I have checked the regs and it would have to be "A1 (South)", all in yellow. The compass direction can be abbreviated or in full, but must be in brackets. Good spot.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

The A453 has a spur.
http://g.co/maps/rns9b
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Two numbers for the price of one in Stow on the Wold.

http://g.co/maps/dqz33

Actually, according to OS Landranger, the A424 is primary anyway. But it should be (A44) whatever the surrounding colour.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Chris5156 wrote:My bad - I have checked the regs and it would have to be "A1 (South)", all in yellow. The compass direction can be abbreviated or in full, but must be in brackets. Good spot.
Either way compass directions on the road number when used in conjunction actual primary destinations just look silly, Yes we know from Perth Inverness is North and Stirling is South without having to be told.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Have I posted this one yet ?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Glen wrote:
Chris5156 wrote:My bad - I have checked the regs and it would have to be "A1 (South)", all in yellow. The compass direction can be abbreviated or in full, but must be in brackets. Good spot.
Either way compass directions on the road number when used in conjunction actual primary destinations just look silly, Yes we know from Perth Inverness is North and Stirling is South without having to be told.
The problem with the A1/M is the complete lack of useful primary destinations along it. South of Darlo, the principal destinations signed are one of Scotch Corner and Wetherby, and sometimes you don't even get that and it's just "The NORTH" or "The SOUTH". No mention of Leeds, York or Harrogate. Doncaster doesn't get a mention until you get to the M62. Darlo doesn't appear until you get to Scotch Corner.

The only exceptions to that are (i) southbound approaching A64, when Manchester/Leeds/(M1,M62) are added, (ii) southbound approaching M1, when Hull/(M62) is added

I wouldn't want to rely on people joining the A1 at Leeming Bar necessarily knowing whether Wetherby was to the north or south, particularly given that it's a popular tourist area.
irrelevant

Post by irrelevant »

Also, by using primary destinations exclusively, such as around here where e.g. "Preston" appears on all roads aiming for the North, one gets very used to them for your direction sense. I remember doing a bit of a double-take first time I was heading back down from Glasgow and meeting the first signs mentioning Preston, and momentarily thinking I was going in the wrong direction.
drm567

Post by drm567 »

Glen wrote: Yes we know from Perth Inverness is North and Stirling is South without having to be told.
Well, yes, WE know, but what about (say) an American tourist? :wink:

David
SarahJ

Post by SarahJ »

Not sure if its been posted, but something looks a bit wrong with the M23 sign :o

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Three+B ... 71,,0,0.07
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

drm567 wrote:
Glen wrote: Yes we know from Perth Inverness is North and Stirling is South without having to be told.
Well, yes, WE know, but what about (say) an American tourist? :wink:
But isn't it more fun to get them lost? 8-)

The difference I can see there is that Inverness and Stirling are clearly obvious places to signpost, so anyone looking at a map is likely to have picked them out. That's quite different from getting to Leeming Bar and seeing A1 Wetherby / A1 Scotch Corner and being expected to know which way is which.

I think it's fair to assume a basic level of geography and preparedness when creating direction signs, and that includes foreign tourists. You could argue that we should include cardinal directions to make it easy for Americans, because that's mostly what they're used to. (Of course, they don't extend the same courtesy to us, even in confusing places where the cardinal direction is 90 degrees out), but that seems to be a bit excessive.