Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FurryBoots

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by FurryBoots »

Does the sign 5 to 6 seconds into this video count? :wink:
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

FurryBoots wrote:Does the sign 5 to 6 seconds into this video count? :wink:
LOL, Furryboots! Obviously, it means that vehicles on that side of the road (where the Playbus is heading) have priority through the tunnel! Though to be honest, I'm still trying to work out what sort of bus the playbus is, as it doesn't really look like any buses from the 60's/70's/80's (the titles were made in 1988, I believe...) that I've seen!

Ah, who cares, IT'S THE PLAYBUS!

EDIT: Does Storm2's avatar count as a botched roadsign?
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

Mattemotorway wrote:
FurryBoots wrote:Does the sign 5 to 6 seconds into this video count? :wink:
LOL, Furryboots! Obviously, it means that vehicles on that side of the road (where the Playbus is heading) have priority through the tunnel! Though to be honest, I'm still trying to work out what sort of bus the playbus is, as it doesn't really look like any buses from the 60's/70's/80's (the titles were made in 1988, I believe...) that I've seen!

Ah, who cares, IT'S THE PLAYBUS!

EDIT: Does Storm2's avatar count as a botched roadsign?
Either it has horrendous play(bus?) in the steering, or the road around 17 seconds starts turning into a Donington style chicane.
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Trebeck wrote:Either it has horrendous play(bus?) in the steering, or the road around 17 seconds starts turning into a Donington style chicane.
As commented by Stuart Ashen!

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
kit
Banned

Post by kit »

Trebeck wrote:Either it has horrendous play(bus?) in the steering, or the road around 17 seconds starts turning into a Donington style chicane.
The rapid acceleration and braking between 20mph and 30mph would hardly make for a comfortable ride either!
I didn't want to believe my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there.
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

kit wrote:
The rapid acceleration and braking between 20mph and 30mph would hardly make for a comfortable ride either!
Well, obviously whoever made that title sequence didn't drive! (And I mean a car, not a bus!)

scragend

Post by scragend »

Trebeck wrote: Either it has horrendous play(bus?) in the steering, or the road around 17 seconds starts turning into a Donington style chicane.
I always thought that!

I also found the Why Bird really irritating.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This pair thinks its a Pre-Warboys sign. It replaced an older Warboys pair that was exactly the same, the signs being replaced when the speed limit prior to the signs was cut from NSL to 40mph - it seems Bolton are taking like-for-like replacement a litte too literally!
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Nicholas wrote:This pair thinks its a Pre-Warboys sign. It replaced an older Warboys pair that was exactly the same, the signs being replaced when the speed limit prior to the signs was cut from NSL to 40mph - it seems Bolton are taking like-for-like replacement a litte too literally!
Nice....

This one is one of my pet hates. It annoys me almost daily...

stump cross
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
autosignguy
Account deactivated at user request

Post by autosignguy »

This sign puzzles me.
OK, so it's designed properly, but I thought it could only be reversed on directional signs, or warnings of weight limit ahead?

I can honestly say I've never seen it reversed before elsewhere - is this actually permitted, or only via special authorisation?

Sorry if it seems confusing to me... :oops:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

scragend wrote:I also found the Why Bird really irritating.
The Why Bird is the mother of Rory from Doctor Who.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

autosignguy wrote:This sign puzzles me.
OK, so it's designed properly, but I thought it could only be reversed on directional signs, or warnings of weight limit ahead?

I can honestly say I've never seen it reversed before elsewhere - is this actually permitted, or only via special authorisation?

Talking of oops, pan left slightly to see how pedestrian railings deform upon impact!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Not so much botched as no longer relevant. The road does still bend, but the former priority junction at the bend is now a mini-roundabout.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Chris Bertram wrote:
scragend wrote:I also found the Why Bird really irritating.
The Why Bird is the mother of Rory from Doctor Who.
Why Bird reminded me of my auntie... (And was her voice actually done by Arthur Darvill's mum? Mind you, Arthur himself was once a CITV announcer better known as Tom...)

SC2

Post by SC2 »

autosignguy wrote:This sign puzzles me.

That road name signs looks odd. How often do they have the road number on?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Mattemotorway wrote:Why Bird reminded me of my auntie... (And was her voice actually done by Arthur Darvill's mum? Mind you, Arthur himself was once a CITV announcer better known as Tom...)
Yes, Why Bird was voiced by Ellie Darvill. My son spent his pre-school years enjoying Playdays, by the time my daughter was ready it had gone, to be replaced by Tellytubbies.

Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Mattemotorway wrote:Why Bird reminded me of my auntie... (And was her voice actually done by Arthur Darvill's mum? Mind you, Arthur himself was once a CITV announcer better known as Tom...)
Yes, Why Bird was voiced by Ellie Darvill. My son spent his pre-school years enjoying Playdays, by the time my daughter was ready it had gone, to be replaced by Tellytubbies.
Actually, Tellitubbies ran alongside Playdays for a few years... It was actually the Tweenies that replaced Playdays!

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Mattemotorway wrote:Actually, Tellytubbies ran alongside Playdays for a few years... It was actually the Tweenies that replaced Playdays!
OK, they carried on showing reruns of previously-made editions of Playdays for a while. The didn't make any new ones after the tubbies started.

vlad

Post by vlad »

Is this allowed?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

vlad wrote:Is this allowed?
Yes, why not? It's a 20 limit, rather than a 20 zone. It should need repeaters, but there will be no humps or chicanes.