Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Bryn666 »

There is, but that site hasn't got a TRO so a No U Turn roundel wouldn't be enforceable and the Police had no resources to deal with it. The sign was meant to be temporary though to stop people going into Sainsburys without using the Tesco roundabout - that situation has now been fixed by the new junction and the sign should have been removed.

How do I know that? I put it there. ;-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

As for the 'roundabout' sign - that would have been replaced as part of a plan to improve the cycle route off the canal onto the A641 - I left before that plan got funding and I think for all intents and purposes it's dead in the water.
Bryn

AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

lefthandedspanner wrote:Not so much botched as outdated and misleading. It's a circular junction, but it doesn't have the priority rules of a roundabout - there are two give-way lines on the 'roundabout' itself, and A641 northbound to eastbound / westbound to southbound traffic gets priority above all else.

Even in its original form, this was only three-quarters of a roundabout; if you crossed the east side, from Lawson Road to A641 southbound (or u-turning from A641 northbound to southbound), you had to give way to traffic on the left.
Roundabouts don't have to be give way on entry. Know Your Traffic Signs has shown an example of one with give way lines on the circulating carriageway for many editions, and I think the old Driving Manual may also have done so in the 1970s.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

AndyB wrote:Roundabouts don't have to be give way on entry. Know Your Traffic Signs has shown an example of one with give way lines on the circulating carriageway for many editions, and I think the old Driving Manual may also have done so in the 1970s.
I'm sure the roundabout on the A460 in Fallings Park was like that. Steven, do you remember it?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

I should clarify that the examples only had give way at particular points on the circulating carriageway - most entrances gave way.

Off the top of my head, Grosvenor Road roundabout at the Westlink in Belfast was signed as a roundabout, was partially signalised, and two if not four points in the circulation had give way lines so that opposite flows could get green lights while right turning traffic simply waited to clear.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Truvelo wrote:
AndyB wrote:Roundabouts don't have to be give way on entry. Know Your Traffic Signs has shown an example of one with give way lines on the circulating carriageway for many editions, and I think the old Driving Manual may also have done so in the 1970s.
I'm sure the roundabout on the A460 in Fallings Park was like that. Steven, do you remember it?
Sounds right to me. Also there's a give way line on the roundabout on the A456 Hagley Road in Quinton, by the former Hollybush pub, giving out-of-town traffic on the Hagley Road priority over traffic turning onto Quinton Lane or Ridgacre Lane.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

The A38/Lickey Road roundabout near the old Longbridge plant has a give way line to give priority to the A38 southbound flow.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

rhyds wrote:The A38/Lickey Road roundabout near the old Longbridge plant has a give way line to give priority to the A38 southbound flow.
Also close to me, and well-justified.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Truvelo wrote:
Sounds right to me. Also there's a give way line on the roundabout on the A456 Hagley Road in Quinton, by the former Hollybush pub, giving out-of-town traffic on the Hagley Road priority over traffic turning onto Quinton Lane or Ridgacre Lane.
I lost a wheel trim there the other day :roll:
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

As far as I know, and because the priority is reversed, all places where traffic on the roundabout gives way to traffic entering the roundabout are signed with Reg 25 Give way signs and double give way lines.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

AndyB wrote:
lefthandedspanner wrote:Not so much botched as outdated and misleading. It's a circular junction, but it doesn't have the priority rules of a roundabout - there are two give-way lines on the 'roundabout' itself, and A641 northbound to eastbound / westbound to southbound traffic gets priority above all else.

Even in its original form, this was only three-quarters of a roundabout; if you crossed the east side, from Lawson Road to A641 southbound (or u-turning from A641 northbound to southbound), you had to give way to traffic on the left.
Roundabouts don't have to be give way on entry. Know Your Traffic Signs has shown an example of one with give way lines on the circulating carriageway for many editions, and I think the old Driving Manual may also have done so in the 1970s.
Yes, I believe that's correct, and had I had time the other day, I was going to post something similar.

There's a roundabout on the A660 in West Park, Leeds that is arranged this way.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Like the junction at the north end of the A6097 where traffic staying on the A614 has right of way in either direction.

Traffic moving from the A6097 to the northbound A614 needs to give way first to turn left onto the junction then to turn right onto the A614.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

This roundabout in Compton has two give ways to joining traffic. Are there any roundabouts where every entry has priority over circulating traffic?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.58725 ... 6656?hl=en
Big and complex.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Truvelo wrote:This roundabout in Compton has two give ways to joining traffic. Are there any roundabouts where every entry has priority over circulating traffic?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.58725 ... 6656?hl=en
Similar, on the other side of Wolverhampton.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: RE: Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by Steven »

Truvelo wrote:
Yes, it was like that up until a few years ago. It's now marked as a standard roundabout.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

vlad

Post by vlad »

This roundabout in Horwich has the roundabout giving way to two out of three of the joining roads. There's a "keep clear" section for the third road so you might have to give way sometimes.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Yes, I know that one well, it works relatively well too. If it was a conventional roundabout there'd be no visibility.
Bryn

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

At least this sign won't need changing if we move to driving on the right :)
Attachments
Roundaboutgap.jpg
Big and complex.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Hmm, Very nice.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5