Euro Cycle Route Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

Euro Cycle Route Signs

Post by jervi »

I've noticed over the past few months in some locations, new signs being erected illustrating the EuroVelo cycle routes on new signs for NCN 1, in various places in both England & Scotland.
I can't find anything in TSRGD relating to them, or any traffic sign authorisations.

Also I do find it a bit of an odd thing to sign. We don't sign European highway routes (which would have some, if minor purpose), so why would we sign European cycle routes which are practically completely useless as if you are cycling across multiple countries, I'm pretty sure you would be on the same native route for days if not weeks at a time.
In addition, it is just another sign to add to the clutter and another sign to maintain, raising costs for no practical reason.
Conekicker

Re: Euro Cycle Route Signs

Post by Conekicker »

jervi wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 22:02 I've noticed over the past few months in some locations, new signs being erected illustrating the EuroVelo cycle routes on new signs for NCN 1, in various places in both England & Scotland.
I can't find anything in TSRGD relating to them, or any traffic sign authorisations.

Also I do find it a bit of an odd thing to sign. We don't sign European highway routes (which would have some, if minor purpose), so why would we sign European cycle routes which are practically completely useless as if you are cycling across multiple countries, I'm pretty sure you would be on the same native route for days if not weeks at a time.
In addition, it is just another sign to add to the clutter and another sign to maintain, raising costs for no practical reason.
A box to be ticked somewhere, or a budget to be blown, errm, "carefully spent"?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

You don't say where this is, but large sections of what was NCN 1 - particularly in Scotland and East Anglia - have now been removed from the National Cycle Network (for reasons of increased/faster motor traffic) but remain part of a EuroVelo route. So it makes sense to sign the EuroVelo route.
jervi wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 22:02 why would we sign European cycle routes which are practically completely useless as if you are cycling across multiple countries, I'm pretty sure you would be on the same native route for days if not weeks at a time.
France, Germany, the Netherlands, and Switzerland all sign EuroVelo routes (and probably several other countries but I've not ridden there!).

Very often EuroVelo routes aren't duplicated by a national route - this is standard in France, for example. I rode the EuroVelo Rhine route in the Netherlands last autumn and it would sometimes take in several different national/local routes in the space of just a few miles.
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
jnty

Post by jnty »

Richard_Fairhurst wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 18:53 You don't say where this is, but large sections of what was NCN 1 - particularly in Scotland and East Anglia - have now been removed from the National Cycle Network (for reasons of increased/faster motor traffic) but remain part of a EuroVelo route. So it makes sense to sign the EuroVelo route.
jervi wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 22:02 why would we sign European cycle routes which are practically completely useless as if you are cycling across multiple countries, I'm pretty sure you would be on the same native route for days if not weeks at a time.
France, Germany, the Netherlands, and Switzerland all sign EuroVelo routes (and probably several other countries but I've not ridden there!).

Very often EuroVelo routes aren't duplicated by a national route - this is standard in France, for example. I rode the EuroVelo Rhine route in the Netherlands last autumn and it would sometimes take in several different national/local routes in the space of just a few miles.
I wondered if it was something to do with that. It occurs to me that this could create the odd situation where British cyclists come to associate the Euroroute sign with substandard infrastructure.

Near me, NCN 1 goes through a supermarket car park then over a railway bridge...which only has stairs. Facetiously, I'd rather they were fixing things like that than directing visitors to the worst bits...