Selly Oak Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Stellar Forces

Post by Stellar Forces »

Living near Harborne, I've actually found the new road pretty useful, as it makes for an easier route into the city than dealing with Calthorpe Road/Five Ways at rush hour, and I can stay on the A38 to get out of the city. But I agree, the road seems completely pointless for any route not involving A38(S)-A4040(NW) or A4040(SE)-A38(N). Obviously it serves the hospital too, but for anything other than these there's that awful right turn at Selly Oak Triangle.
Truvelo

Re: Selly Oak Bypass

Post by Truvelo »

I assume the southern end of the bypass doesn't flow directly onto the A38 because it would involve large scale demolition of the area around Frederick Road. A better option would have been online dualling and demolish the buildings on one side of the road through Bournbrook. They're only scruffy old terraced shops that are well past their prime.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Stellar Forces

Post by Stellar Forces »

Truvelo wrote:I assume the southern end of the bypass doesn't flow directly onto the A38 because it would involve large scale demolition of the area around Frederick Road. A better option would have been online dualling and demolish the buildings on one side of the road through Bournbrook. They're only scruffy old terraced shops that are well past their prime.
I have to admit though I have a bit of a soft spot for those terraces in Bournbrook as I lived there when I was at the University. I would have thought something like the Northfield bypass would have worked, though as you say that would have caused issues too.
dvboy

Post by dvboy »

Isn't the Sainsburys going to get knocked down and rebuilt to allow some remodelling of the southern junction?
"...the rear half of the train will call at all unpronounceable stations to Pwllheli."
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

dvboy wrote:Isn't the Sainsburys going to get knocked down and rebuilt to allow some remodelling of the southern junction?
I had a drive along earlier today. There are signs for a supermarket part way along, pointing at an area of wasteland. I was wondering if Sainsbury's was going to move.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

This site has recently popped up in searches:

http://www.sellyoak-regeneration.co.uk/

Interesting is the site plan which shows a map of the possible plans. Note the additional exit/entrance to the roundabout at (1) which I find impossible to fit with the way the roundabout is built!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Big L wrote:
dvboy wrote:Isn't the Sainsburys going to get knocked down and rebuilt to allow some remodelling of the southern junction?
I had a drive along earlier today. There are signs for a supermarket part way along, pointing at an area of wasteland. I was wondering if Sainsbury's was going to move.
That is indeed the plan. That Sainsbury's, which was brand spanking new in 1987 now looks way too small, and the site it's on allows no room for expansion, not to mention the problems with access from the gyratory around it.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Glom

Post by Glom »

It's called the Aston Webb Boulevard. Ah that takes me back!

Is it really a boulevard though?
vlad

Post by vlad »

Glom wrote:It's called the Aston Webb Boulevard. Ah that takes me back!

If this is, anything can be! :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Chris5156 wrote:I've just sent an email to Birmingham City Council asking about this. Let's see what they say.
I wrote:Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to enquire about new signs that have been erected at Selly Oak in connection with the new road that is due to open shortly. They appear to refer to the old road trough the town centre as the "B38".

Please could you confirm whether this is to be the new classification for the part of Bristol Road that has been bypassed, and if so, whether special authorisation has been granted by the Department for Transport for this highly unusual number?

Downgrading the bypassed section of road to Class II is perfectly normal practice, of course, but the choice of number is highly surprising as it would be the only two-digit B-road number in Great Britain and would be out of zone according to numbering rules. In the normal course of things a B-road in this location should have three or four digits to its number and the first digit should be 4.

One would also think that giving the old road exactly the same number as the new (aside from the letter prefix) would provide grounds for confusion and may encourage some motorists to continue through the town rather than taking the new bypass around it.

I'd be grateful for any clarification you can offer on this matter.

Regards,

Chris Marshall
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/
Has anyone got an answer yet as to the stupid "B38" number for the old road?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Halstead

Post by Halstead »

vlad wrote:
Glom wrote:It's called the Aston Webb Boulevard. Ah that takes me back!

If this is, anything can be! :)
Perhaps a polar opposite to your example. :)
6 years...
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

At the roundabout half way along the new road (by the new bridges) the signs say "Selly Oak A38 (B38)" so it seems we do indeed have the only 2-digit B-road in the country.
mapboy

Post by mapboy »

What is really odd is that from the southbound the A38 is signed along the old route but if you turn left down the 'A4040' signs for the new A38 then appear. However from the north it is signed as you would expect, apart from the oddly numbered B38! :|
S Parkinson

Post by S Parkinson »

Here's the plan for the final stage of the 'Selly Oak New Road'. I suspect only then will the existing signage city bound be changed to show A38 as turning left at Harborne Lane. This final stage of the bypass will only commence when the existing Sainsburys is demolished which in turn will only happen when the new Sainsburys has been built.

I agree that the current signage arrangement is poor in that the two directions of A38 traffic are signed so as to cross each other twice. Maybe the use of temporary signage (along with some greying out of existing signs) should be considered?
Haydn1971

Selly Oak Bypass

Post by Haydn1971 »

Oh dear... Another developer led crap roundabout design !!! How often do we see three lane approaches onto circulatory carriageways just wide enough for two lanes ! Makes me bloody cross !
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I've had no joy from Brum Council about the B38 number. Has anyone else?
dvboy

Post by dvboy »

Chris5156 wrote:I've had no joy from Brum Council about the B38 number. Has anyone else?
Any news? Did you follow up your letter with another?
"...the rear half of the train will call at all unpronounceable stations to Pwllheli."
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

FOI it if they don't answer.

Someone has either authorised it at DfT (A. Cretin, Esq - explains why they want to offload this responsibility), or B'ham CC have acted ultra vires...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote:FOI it if they don't answer.

Someone has either authorised it at DfT (A. Cretin, Esq - explains why they want to offload this responsibility), or B'ham CC have acted ultra vires...
I've drafted another email which I'm going to send, so we'll see. It does specifically ask whether this number has DfT authorisation.