B9086 now a defunct number?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

TS

B9086 now a defunct number?

Post by TS »

According to every single map I own, at Haroldswick, Unst, Shetland, the A968 ends at a junction with the B9087 heading northeast to Norwick and the B9086 northwest to Burrafirth.

However, I have just noticed that in a picture I took, marking the northern limit of Britain's 'A' roads, the signage seems to disagree and both roads are in fact numbered B9087.

Having just checked on the Wiki, the B9086 page makes no mention of the number having been scrapped. Can anyone confirm or refute whether it is a signage error?
Attachments
P1020458.JPG
rileyrob

Re: B9086 now a defunct number?

Post by rileyrob »

Coincidentally, I came up with a similar (but different) confusion the other day when I was looking at the B9087 wiki page. If you look at OSM on Sabre Maps it shows a different route for the B9087 to either the OS or Google.

Going back to your question, GSV shows This sign at the next crossroads along the B9086, so I suspect that it is a botched sign rather than anything else!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: B9087 :

The B9087 is Britain's northernmost classified road, although only by a whisker over its neighbour the B9086. Both roads start at the end of the A968 at Haroldswick, with the B9087 turning off to head north east. After curving along the shore at the head of Harold's Wick, the B9087 splits. The mainline TOTSOs left, while a spur continues ahead along the shore, past the houses to the next junction.

... Read More