Forth Replacement Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

tractorman

Re: Forth Replacement Crossing

Post by tractorman »

hoagy_ytfc wrote:
Where were they scheduled to be at this point in time?

ISTM that building the caissons then foundations are a time-consuming task without a lot of visible progress, by definition.
Interesting article:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/ ... e.23509317

It'll be interesting to see all the apologists in Transport Scotland running about like headless chickens having realised that, at last, they've been found out.

Mt Salmond and his cronies will not be happy that the public now realise that their flagship project is going to be late.
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

And of course if they had gone for the Forthspan option everyone would have been applauding Transport Scotland for their foresight, and not harping on about the extra £300m, oh no...
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

Halmyre wrote:And of course if they had gone for the Forthspan option everyone would have been applauding Transport Scotland for their foresight, and not harping on about the extra £300m, oh no...
Of course it's going to be late... the Referendum will be a "no"... Westminster will take an axe to the Scottish Government pot... project will get delayed... Scottish Government will blame Westminister cuts.

Personally, I don't care if the bridge is late, as long as it's built properly...

"For the stronger we our houses do build, The less chance we have of being killed." :wink:
A935

Post by A935 »

novaecosse wrote:"For the stronger we our houses do build, The less chance we have of being killed."
...At least many sensible men do say.
tractorman

Post by tractorman »

More Transport Scotland propaganda:

http://news.stv.tv/east-central/265561- ... d-of-2016/
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Apparently a fixed cost project, so in the interests of the contractors to get it done while the project is still in profit...

TS will be damned if the project comes in under budget earning the contractors a big profit

TS will be damned if it over runs because the bridge will be late.

Cannae win... But given the history of government contracts going massivley over budget this really is how it should be done.
Burns

Post by Burns »

A video has been released by Transport Scotland showing how the bridge and it's associated junctions will look upon completion of the project. The sudden transition back to A90 is clearly shown as the signage in the video is quite detailed. I can see the mile long gap of A90 between two sections of M90 being a bone of contention here for many years to come. I know it'll irk me every time I have to drive it.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Burns wrote:A video has been released by Transport Scotland showing how the bridge and it's associated junctions will look upon completion of the project. The sudden transition back to A90 is clearly shown as the signage in the video is quite detailed. I can see the mile long gap of A90 between two sections of M90 being a bone of contention here for many years to come. I know it'll irk me every time I have to drive it.
Great how that even in the video before it's built, the matrix signs are warning of congestion ahead!
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Great how that even in the video before it's built, the matrix signs are warning of congestion ahead!
Yep, noticed that as well! Wow they're optimist! :lol:

Also expecting a lot of yellow cars in the future! :wink:
parristim

Post by parristim »

Burns wrote:I can see the mile long gap of A90 between two sections of M90 being a bone of contention here for many years to come. I know it'll irk me every time I have to drive it.
Have I missed a meeting? I thought it was to be M90 right the way through.
si404

Post by si404 »

parristim wrote:Have I missed a meeting? I thought it was to be M90 right the way through.
Between the A90 at Scotstoun and the A904 at Queensferry it is a Special Road open to more classes than just Classes I and II and therefore not a motorway.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Achmelvic wrote:
Mark Hewitt wrote: Great how that even in the video before it's built, the matrix signs are warning of congestion ahead!
Yep, noticed that as well! Wow they're optimist! :lol:

Also expecting a lot of yellow cars in the future! :wink:
But, as is frequently the case, there is no congestion ahead.

No lorries, coaches, big vans, motorbikes? Just cars and small vans.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
A181

Post by A181 »

They need to do something about the traffic light phasing on the roundabouts too. There's an awful lot of cars going nowhere!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

A181 wrote:They need to do something about the traffic light phasing on the roundabouts too. There's an awful lot of cars going nowhere!
I think they could get rid of the signals altogether and close up parts of the roundabout. As far as I can see every vehicle joining the roundabout just turns left!
trafficman

Post by trafficman »

si404 wrote:Between the A90 at Scotstoun and the A904 at Queensferry it is a Special Road open to more classes than just Classes I and II and therefore not a motorway.
With the usual plethora of non standard signs that people will fail to understand, and like the A1 Expressway (Special Road) nothing to tell slow moving vehicles (<25mph) that they shouldn't be there. Sigh

Look on the bright side though, at the least the "Spur" was reclassified as the M90. That wasn't going to be the original case - so technically a sign north of the Forth could read Glasgow M90 (A90) (M9) (M8) :laugh:
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-28673297

I had no idea that work was so far advanced on the bridge. Last time I was down that way there was no structure to see, just lots of mud on the banks of the Forth and barges in the river.

Are there any local Sabristi with photos they care to share?
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Coincidentally there's this news item today.
Gav

Post by Gav »

Look on the bright side though, at the least the "Spur" was reclassified as the M90. That wasn't going to be the original case - so technically a sign north of the Forth could read Glasgow M90 (A90) (M9) (M8)

So that sign would actually read

Glasgow M90 (A90) (M90) (M9) (M8)
Gav

Post by Gav »

I wonder if they have considered the Toll Forth Crossing....

Put in tolls like they have for the Dartford bridge. Have them set up that you can pay after you use it - or a running account that you top up and use as required - how ever its managed not so cheap but then again not too dear that is puts people off....

Something happens on the bridge you can use the toll road to beat the jams and get across.

Sorted.

Council gets more money and people get to work quickly.
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

No, just no...

Not only is implementing a toll charge against the Scottish government "no tolled bridges in Scotland" policy but it would put a huge dampener on the fact that we have the brand new crossing...except this time it's back to tolls.

I see your point about cutting down on congestion and giving motorists a choice but as the M6 toll has proven, it's all a bit of a folly. It could lead to the new bridge being under utilised because all the cheap skates will opt for the old one.

No one wants the added faff of having to pay the toll, regardless of how you do it.

I'm sorry Gav, but I respectfully disagree with that proposal.
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive