Forth Replacement Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big Nick

Re: Forth Replacement Crossing

Post by Big Nick »

Has anybody got photos of the new bridge and how construction is progressing? Not easy to find anything good online.
tommym8

Post by tommym8 »

Big Nick wrote:Has anybody got photos of the new bridge and how construction is progressing? Not easy to find anything good online.
I'm going out that way this morning. I'll see if I can get anything decent for you - I don't know how good the vantage points are.

Edit: Poor weather (heavy rain and fog) stopped me getting any decent pics but I'll try again in the next few days.
Last edited by tommym8 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

tommym8 wrote:
Big Nick wrote:Has anybody got photos of the new bridge and how construction is progressing? Not easy to find anything good online.
I'm going out that way this morning. I'll see if I can get anything decent for you - I don't know how good the vantage points are.
Probably too late for you to get this, but the lower car park of the Queensferry Hotel gives a good view of the north tower, which is the furthest ahead in terms of build. The footpath on the west side of the Forth Road Bridge is only open to pedestrians at weekends.
tommym8

Post by tommym8 »

Halmyre wrote:
tommym8 wrote:
Probably too late for you to get this, but the lower car park of the Queensferry Hotel gives a good view of the north tower, which is the furthest ahead in terms of build. The footpath on the west side of the Forth Road Bridge is only open to pedestrians at weekends.
Thanks for the info. I was on the south side and the parking is pretty non-existent. As far as I can see the only chance of decent pics is to park up in South Queensferry and walk across a field. Don't mind doing this on a dry day but today was awful at times.
oldchap

Post by oldchap »

They may well have been mentioned earlier in the thread but live webcams can be found at http://www.frcwebcams.co.uk/home
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

oldchap wrote:
They may well have been mentioned earlier in the thread but live webcams can be found at http://www.frcwebcams.co.uk/home
Thanks for that, it gives an idea. Must be pretty wet and windy up there tonight judging by the way the cameras are waving around!
The Devil's Armpit

Post by The Devil's Armpit »

Unfortunately the best vantage point for photos of the new construction, the west walkway on the current roadbridge, is closed mon-fri.

However the new road to North Queensferry which goes under the approaches to the new bridge and goes under the current bridge affords a great view of the new undertaking but no-one thought to put a lay-by or viewpoint..
PishedPaul

Post by PishedPaul »

For a decent selection of up to date photographs check out Queensferry Crossing on twitter
https://twitter.com/FRC_Queensferry

2 Spots for a good view - Ferry Road in North Queensferry - go just under the existing bridge. Society Road On the south Queensferry side - this is the road to Hopeton House.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

North viaduct launch video:

Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Stunning
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Halmyre wrote:North viaduct launch video:

Really enjoyed this! Thanks for the link.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Was I the only one waiting for a squadron of Hueys to attack?
Built for comfort, not speed.
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Fantastic video. Great progress being made.

When is the scheme due to be completed?
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

Enceladus wrote:Fantastic video. Great progress being made.

When is the scheme due to be completed?
Still this December I think.
nirs

Post by nirs »

Just spent four days in Scotland - flying in to Edinburgh and out again from the same airport. First and last sight of Scotland was the Queensferry Crossing - magnificent piece of work. There's regular photos of progress on their twitter feed. http://twitter.com/NewForthBridge

My relatives in Stirling said they felt the impact of the Forth Road Bridge closure even there with a lot more traffic than usual. Shows how wide an impact the closure must have had.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
coneman

Post by coneman »

Halmyre wrote:North viaduct launch video:

Thanks for the link,
I'm on a bit of a roll here with bridges tonight (see JMB's Baily thread), its fascinating to see that civil engineering mirrors my past life as a military bridging sapper. We used to build both Baily and Medium Girder Bridge (MGB) in this fashion , ie start by building your launching frame and rollers on the "home" bank and then adding panels as you boom forward , when the nose touched the other side the far bank team went across with landing rollers and the bridge was boomed across to its final position and lowered down with jacks . It was then decked and kerbed and entry/exit points marked. The only difference was that when the battlegroup was across, it then had to be stripped back in reverse to be re-used.
Don't think they'll be doing that with the Queensferry Crossing. :)
Many a guid tune played on an auld fiddle.
John A Roebling

Post by John A Roebling »

Found an excellent collection of the construction while trawling through Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robert550 ... 0742239413
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Although I know it's been mentioned a few times on SABRE, I was reading this document posted in another topic and it does confirm that the section between the current A90 and the new South Queensferry junction will be a non-motorway special road, at least for now...
Almost all the new roads, including the crossing, will be classified as a motorway. However, due to certain existing use-rights enjoyed by the A90, the section between Scotstoun and the new South Queensferry Junction will be a special road rather than a motorway. This road will be built to standard that can easily be upgraded to motorway and, as at present, the road will not be useable by cyclists, pedestrians or horse drawn vehicles.
Looking at the video that Transport Scotland uploaded some time ago, it looks like the A90 section will be the exact same physical standard as the M90 sections, but with green signs instead of blue. I'm sure it'll bother entirely nobody except some of us Sabristi. :mrgreen:
Gav

Post by Gav »

Edinburgh councillors are complaining about getting no say in the running of the Forth crossings:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ ... -1-2814472

Hallelujah!

Well Well Well maybe they knew something we didnt...

Look at the messes that thye are responsible for

Trams

Hospital

Schools....

just as well they were not involved with the new bridge in any shape or form....

Question -

|Does anyone know how they pan to route the old bridge into the new road layout on the south side - is there any provision being made that thye can shift traffic from the A90 to the old bridge in the event that they need to close the new bridge ? I had thogught that they were putting in provision to let this happen but it looks like there is no provision other than the roads that will be there - traffic will need leave at the last junction and swing back to the bridge. I had thoughtt hat there was going to be an easy connection provided that would allow them to diver the traffic onto the old bridge from the existing mainline.