Forth Replacement Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

WHBM

Re: Forth Replacement Crossing

Post by WHBM »

Rain wrote:It's not just learners, pedestrians/cyclists will have to rely on a special bus service over the new bridge once the old bridge is demolished 12 months or so after the new one opens.
Why ? There is a perfectly adequate train servce between the two sides of the estuary.
Rain

Post by Rain »

Ritchie333 wrote: What's your source of information? Transport Scotland's website here states that the old bridge will remain as a dedicated public transport corridor for buses, taxis, pedestrians and cyclists.
That was the plan but I have been informed by someone in the know that this is no longer the case.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Rain wrote:That was the plan but I have been informed by someone in the know that this is no longer the case.
Well I was informed by someone once that the M41 was supposed to go to Birmingham, but saying don't necessarily make it so!
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Rain

Post by Rain »

Ritchie333 wrote: Well I was informed by someone once that the M41 was supposed to go to Birmingham, but saying don't necessarily make it so!
Well the person had quite extensive knowledge of Transport Scotland contracts that wouldn't be obvious to anyone outside so I would have thought they would know what the plan was.
WHBM wrote: Why ? There is a perfectly adequate train servce between the two sides of the estuary.
Cycle space is quite limited on trains though.
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

Rain wrote:
Ritchie333 wrote: What's your source of information? Transport Scotland's website here states that the old bridge will remain as a dedicated public transport corridor for buses, taxis, pedestrians and cyclists.
That was the plan but I have been informed by someone in the know that this is no longer the case.
I think they're pulling your leg, but I'll keep an eye on e-bay just in case...
michael769

Post by michael769 »

As I understand it there are no immediate plants to demolish the bridge.

However there are investigation works into the condition of the cable anchors, if that investigation throws up something unexpected - well, it might be prudent to have a contingency plan in place.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

WHBM wrote:
Rain wrote:It's not just learners, pedestrians/cyclists will have to rely on a special bus service over the new bridge once the old bridge is demolished 12 months or so after the new one opens.
Why ? There is a perfectly adequate train servce between the two sides of the estuary.

What if I want to take a tandem across the firth on New Year's Day?
A8000Bob

Post by A8000Bob »

t1(M) wrote:
WHBM wrote:

You could always take a loony dook....
carawaystick

Forth Replacement Crossing

Post by carawaystick »

It seems like Ireland and Britain need to adopt the foreign system of "motorway" but not "Autoroute/strada/bahn/piste"

Many D routes in France have sections restricting pushbikes and ag. vehicles(& possibly scooters) using the blue sign with a car rather than chopsticks, also lots of routes nationale use this scheme too

The Waterford bypass and westlink in Belfast should use this for sure, and parts of the n25 in and about Cork. Don't know Britain well enough to mention places
booshank

Post by booshank »

What about those who want to cross the Severn estuary on an invalid carriage?
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!
What about those who want to cross the Severn estuary on an invalid carriage?

Those daft things must all be deceased by now surely?! Mobility Scooters and what-not are allowed to use the special paths by the side of the old Severn Crossing!

Going back to the new FRB, the Special Road Restrictions would only cause aggro for tractors and things, which if the old FRB is demolished would have to go via the Kincardine and cause rage for all the drivers on the bridge & approach roads there, and I suspect very, very few'd want to bother!!!

Chris Williams
A43Corby

Post by A43Corby »

carawaystick wrote:It seems like Ireland and Britain need to adopt the foreign system of "motorway" but not "Autoroute/strada/bahn/piste"

Many D routes in France have sections restricting pushbikes and ag. vehicles(& possibly scooters) using the blue sign with a car rather than chopsticks, also lots of routes nationale use this scheme too

The Waterford bypass and westlink in Belfast should use this for sure, and parts of the n25 in and about Cork. Don't know Britain well enough to mention places
Do you mean like this? http://g.co/maps/q7522

As a side note, does this count as a botched road sign? A "no" directive inside a prohibition sign? A double-negative?
Rain

Post by Rain »

Is the new bridge going to be tolled?
cb a1

Post by cb a1 »

Rain wrote:Is the new bridge going to be tolled?
I would hesitate to provide a definitive answer as it's quite a few years before it'll be open (at least one session of parliament).

However, at present, there are no plans for there to be a toll.
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
michael769

Post by michael769 »

Scotland abolished all tolls a few years ago. Unless political policy changes (which is possible), there is no prospect of it being tolled.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
Potholes ate my car

Post by Potholes ate my car »

Any news on construction starting? As I only live a few miles down the road I'll be keeping a keen eye on proceedings.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

Construction starting "soon" according to September 2011 newsletter.
Potholes ate my car

Post by Potholes ate my car »

Traffic management starts this Friday on the M90/A90, A92 and A823(M) ahead of the new gantry installations on the Fife side:

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/new ... anagement-
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

Transport Scotland wrote:For reasons of safety, a mandatory 40mph speed limit will be applied throughout the extent of the traffic management scheme, which will be enforced by average speed cameras. These cameras will measure a vehicle’s average speed from point to point along a length of the route, using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) to identify vehicles that exceed the 40mph limit.
Wonder will this stealth install of SPECS be removed afterwards..... ?
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

The SPECS cameras were removed from the M80, I don't see why they won't be removed from here. However, it looks like that section will be speed-controlled once the works are finished, along the lines of ATM in England. According to Transport Scotland, "Overhead signal gantries along this corridor will aim to keep traffic moving smoothly by providing traffic, lane control and mandatory speed control and information to drivers via variable message signs (VMS).".