Forth Replacement Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

PishedPaul

Re: Forth Replacement Crossing

Post by PishedPaul »

I was quite supprised by this on twitter. I always assumed it was a replcement bridge, with the view that one day the old bridge would be beyond repair and be demolished.
The New Forth Bridge‏@NewForthBridge

The new Forth bridge will have no pedestrain walkways when it is built as it will be designated motorway
si404

Post by si404 »

Of course the Severn and Wye bridges are motorways with walkways, so it wasn't impossible to have one on there.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Burns wrote:
ferrybloke wrote:Interestingly, the traffic scotland (http://www.trafficscotland.org) live cameras on the new gantries on the M9 spur are active (was using them tonight to see the chaos from a fluid spill on the Forth Road Bridge). Aside from the fact that the cameras are shown to be on the railway line, the map labels the spur as M90!
I drove the M9 Spur on the way home earlier and the new northbound mileage sign tells you you're on the M90. I wish there was a safe place to photograph it.
Well that IS interesting!

Mistake or deliberate, I wonder? If it's deliberate, Transport Scotland are building a motorway with a hole in it.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

si404 wrote:Of course the Severn and Wye bridges are motorways with walkways, so it wasn't impossible to have one on there.
There is also the Avonmouth Bridge.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Chris5156 wrote: Mistake or deliberate, I wonder? If it's deliberate, Transport Scotland are building a motorway with a hole in it.
It wouldn't be the first time either. Perhaps the short section of remaining A90 won't be the A90 after all and they were just saying that to stop the people of South Queensferry from whinging too much?
FurryBoots

Post by FurryBoots »

Burns wrote:It wouldn't be the first time either. Perhaps the short section of remaining A90 won't be the A90 after all and they were just saying that to stop the people of South Queensferry from whinging too much?
The latest version of the Forth Crossing Act 2011 shows that the "hole" will be a special road allowing class IV traffic in addition to class I & II traffic. It's there in black and white unless there's a significant revision on its way.

If the traffic cameras and RCS are showing M90 then they are probably just renaming the spur. It wouldn't be the first motorway to have a gap in it (although it probably would be the smallest gap that there's been).

Perhaps the gap will be labelled (M90) on green signs :wink:
Roadtripper_Ian

Post by Roadtripper_Ian »

What is Class 4 traffic?
"I don't make the rules, ma'am, I just make them up and write them down"
michael769

Post by michael769 »

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/schedule/4

Basically all other Motor Vehicles not being class I, II or III. It is Scotland's standard Special Road restriction.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

I think it's customary at this point to make a remark about people not reading Steven's site... ;)
http://pathetic.org.uk/features/special_roads/act/
FurryBoots

Post by FurryBoots »

Glen wrote:I think it's customary at this point to make a remark about people not reading Steven's site... ;)
Sheesh...

Looking at Pathetic Motorways, it's clear that the majority of non-motorway special roads are in Scotland. Is there any particular reason that Scotland has more of these than other parts of the UK?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

FurryBoots wrote:
Glen wrote:I think it's customary at this point to make a remark about people not reading Steven's site... ;)
Sheesh...

Looking at Pathetic Motorways, it's clear that the majority of non-motorway special roads are in Scotland. Is there any particular reason that Scotland has more of these than other parts of the UK?
They're more on the ball than anywhere else?

I'd suggest that Northern Ireland is about right - the A12 Westlink is about the only road I'd expect to perhaps be Special. It's actually just England that doesn't have non-motorway Special Roads - I'd expect the A12 in East London, for example, to be Special if it were in Scotland. I got the impression that the HA hadn't even thought of the idea that they could have a Special Road that wasn't a motorway - despite the Severn Bridge footpath being one!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

si404

Post by si404 »

Steven wrote:It's actually just England that doesn't have non-motorway Special Roads
Other than the three it has (one a footpath, the others not trunk and both one way).
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The M9 spur already has two southbound RCSs calling it M9 and a northbound one calling it M90. Now here's a drawing calling it A90(M).
In The Know

Post by In The Know »

wrinkly wrote:The M9 spur already has two southbound RCSs calling it M9 and a northbound one calling it M90. Now here's a drawing calling it A90(M).
it's another TS F'up wasn't due to change until 2016. Yet again nobody called to be held accountable.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Does that mean they've taken down the M90 mileage sign on the M9 spur now? I was going to photograph it from the field below next time I was in the area.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It was still there 10 days ago. The plan I just linked is much older than that, and probably irrelevant to the signage.
Gav

Post by Gav »

If this becomes the A90(M) them what happens to the A90 into Edinburgh - all that signage will need to be altered as you wont be able to keep the A90 as the number.....

They either need to keep it as a spur of the M9 or call it the M90. That would make a first as the A90 would come in and then take priority for a mile or so before becoming the M90 till Perth where it becomes the A90 again heading to Aberdeen....

Interestingly the A90 will have a stretch of special road status south of the Forth then again north of the Forth when it is the realigned section of road heading up to Aberdeen.

Will the Aberdeen bypass be the A90 ?
In The Know

Post by In The Know »

The M9 Spur is to change to the M90. Signage and change not due to occur until Forth Replacement is complete.
Gav

Post by Gav »

Well at least they have done the logical thing and called the spur the M90 - this gives some decent alignment to the motorway layout.... well done !
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It also means they'll have to change the junction numbers. It wouldn't do to have a major Scottish motorway on which the junction numbers have always stayed the same.