West Midlands speed cameras to be switched off

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nicholas

West Midlands speed cameras to be switched off

Post by Nicholas »

Spending cuts will mean that 300 speed cameras in the West Midlands will be switched off (not removed altogether).

I think I know of someone on here who will be happy at that! They could, however, be recommissioned if funding is reinstated.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Truvelo

Re: West Midlands speed cameras to be switched off

Post by Truvelo »

Nicholas wrote:I think I know of someone on here who will be happy at that!
Indeed, there's now several that were torched last year and now they're going rusty because there's no money to replace them.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
davemase

Post by davemase »

Talking of Scameras which have been torched I noticed yesterday that the set on the A45 going into Birmingham just before Damson Parkway and straight after the reduction to 40 has been set alight; I'm pretty sure it was intact when I drove past on Saturday :D
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

London will probably be the last to turn off it's cameras, if at all.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

davemase wrote:Talking of Scameras which have been torched I noticed yesterday that the set on the A45 going into Birmingham just before Damson Parkway and straight after the reduction to 40 has been set alight; I'm pretty sure it was intact when I drove past on Saturday :D
You mean this one. It was torched in 2007.

Picture may not show if you are using the internet at work and it has filtering.
Big and complex.
jaconway88

Post by jaconway88 »

Truvelo wrote:
davemase wrote:Talking of Scameras which have been torched I noticed yesterday that the set on the A45 going into Birmingham just before Damson Parkway and straight after the reduction to 40 has been set alight; I'm pretty sure it was intact when I drove past on Saturday :D
You mean this one. It was torched in 2007.
[/quote]
It was definitely replaced between 2007 and its most recent torching; it flashed my old man for £60.

EDIT: Minor
davemase

Post by davemase »

Its definately been replaced since 2007 as I've seen it flash quite recently.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

This is how it currently looks. Not as severe as the 2007 fire.

Anyone spot the error on the sign?
Attachments
burntgatso.jpg
Big and complex.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Stroke width to the left too thick. Should be same as to the right, both are unclassified.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
davemase

Post by davemase »

I'm impressed you took the photo so quickly! :D
davemase

Post by davemase »

Just out of interest does this now mean that the SPECS just north of Bassetts Pole on the A38 is to be turned off as well?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

davemase wrote:Just out of interest does this now mean that the SPECS just north of Bassetts Pole on the A38 is to be turned off as well?
That's in Staffordshire, so I would expect not.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

MikeMK

Post by MikeMK »

So where does this leave the argument that the cameras are there to make money, rather than save lives by reducing speeding?
davemase

Post by davemase »

Cheers Chris (I always thought it was in Warwickshire) :oops:
michael769

Post by michael769 »

MikeMK wrote:So where does this leave the argument that the cameras are there to make money, rather than save lives by reducing speeding?
2 hypothesis.

1. These devices make money for a few years until compliance (make that driver vigilance) improves to the point that costs start to exceed the falling income.

2. Once the income was switched from the partnerships to the treasury the financial incentive to keep them is removed, and the remaining reasons are not sufficiently compelling to prevent the councils from transferring the budget to something that will have a more direct impact on their goals.

Take your pick. Personally I suspect it is a combination of the two.

if you want my hypothesis of the real reason for the spread of these devices it is this. Councils are under pressure to do "something". These devices were seen as a self-funding way of doing something. Now they are no longer self-funding for councils, some feel that the money can be used to create more opportunities to get themselves in the paper if it is spend elsewhere.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge
M42_J10

Post by M42_J10 »

Hmmm, I have to say I'm quite pleased with the idea of all of the cameras disappearing; but I'm concerned about what may happen afterwards.
If there is no 'replacement' planned other than the police nabbing **** on their travels, then good (the local police seem quite sensible in their interpretation of 'speeding'). If instead there will be lots of people hiding in bushes with laser guns, booking people for 33mph 5 yards into the new '30' limit at the south end of the Aston Expressway, then I'd like the speed traps to remain as day-glow yellow boxes, thank you very much.
Time will tell, one way or another...
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

M42_J10 wrote:... the new '30' limit at the south end of the Aston Expressway ...
Hmm, does anyone know whether the TRO for this has been put into effect yet? There are still a couple of signs that would invalidate it, not telling where.

TheKeymeister

Post by TheKeymeister »

Noticed the burnt out A45 camera the other day, and it's definitely a ******* of a camera, almost caught me out many many times.

I've noticed that one of the Truvelos on the A45 at Ryton have disappeared, and it's the most valid one as well, heading towards Rugby just after the ex-Peugeot works before the central reserve gap.....only trace is a single traffic cone by the Armco! The one further down before the roundabout is showing many signs of having been shot at as well!
Chris Bertram wrote: Hmm, does anyone know whether the TRO for this has been put into effect yet? There are still a couple of signs that would invalidate it, not telling where.
Been driving this daily for the past few weeks, would 30 repeaters be required, considering the "street lights" on the flyover by New Town Row aren't actually 'on street' and also light the roundabout below....
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

As Oxfordshire switch back on, it's D-Day here in the W.Mids as all but 100 cameras are turned off. BBC News
Can't see any councils hurrying to remove the redundant cameras so they're still going to be a deterrent unless they are covered or damaged.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

nick_dunn wrote:Can't see any councils hurrying to remove the redundant cameras so they're still going to be a deterrent unless they are covered or damaged.
The damaged ones haven't been repaired since last summer. There's at least a dozen round here that are still charcoal coloured soon to become red rusty when they've been exposed to the weather long enough. There's some in other areas still be to be repaired such as the one on the former A500 at Shavington which was set light last autumn. I also fail to see how they will be a deterrent when it's plainly obvious they are knackered. I still see the occasional brake lights at burnt Gatsos but it could be the occupants have slowed to inspect the damage rather than to avoid a ticket.
Big and complex.