A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by wrinkly »

The timetable page among the scheme's pages on the HA site has been modified some time in the last few days.

On the positive side, Scotch Corner to Barton, originally described as "subject to public inquiry" and then as "subject to statutory processes" now says "autumn 2014 to spring 2017".

I suspect the south end of the LAR has been put back but I haven't got a saved copy to compare.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

A central pier is now under construction for the Catterick Central junction overbridge. I was beginning to assume there wouldn't be one.

The central barrier has been removed between Scotch Corner and Barton, ending any doubt over whether they'll be replacing it with a concrete one. No bridgeworks yet visible there.

Work now well advanced on the abutments of the two southbound B road underbridges at Brompton-on-Swale. Three of the four abutment sites now have full-height scaffolding.

Preliminary works seem to be starting on the western half of the BALB bypass, with works accesses being built from the west roundabout of J51 and from the A684 near Bedale golf course.

The cafe at Leeming Bar services is now a Costa. The adjacent building that used to be a shop (and appears purpose-built) is not currently being used for anything - the shop has been replaced by a far smaller one in the cafe building.

A large new Shell filling station is nearly ready to open NE of J51, with access from Leases Road.
MatthewB6323

Post by MatthewB6323 »

I knew that Leeming Bar was now branded as Costa - when I was there in September the interior still had some of the Les family's murals, but the counter had been Costa-fied, with the unusual addition of a hot counter.

The arrival of a Shell garage at J51 is an interesting development - another smaller development aimed at taking some of the motorway pound, as with EuroGarages' project at J29A on the M1?

EDIT: Aha - it's Exelby Services new Coneygarth Services, aimed at lorry drivers.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I think the murals have been painted over now. Why do the chains have to destroy anything interesting about a place when they take it over? I liked the mural of someone sitting at a cafe table.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Anyone know what is happening just north of Leeming Bar, on the southbound side? A temporary roadway has been put down on the field.
M19

Post by M19 »

wrinkly wrote:I think the murals have been painted over now. Why do the chains have to destroy anything interesting about a place when they take it over? I liked the mural of someone sitting at a cafe table.
I like the quirkiness of places like Leeming Bar but a lot of places like this have been replaced with services that can really be described as placeless. In other words everything is about the brand regardless of where you go. Even in the places that are quirky by their architecture these interesting features are often are rendered inaccessible, presumably for 'elf an' safety an' all that. I'm thinking of Forton's UFO saucer in this case - such an underused asset.

On the motorway the rest stop at best has become a very predicable and boring experience. At worst it's a Dick Turpin experience if you dare to go for a Starbucks or a Costa. Otherwise its an in yer face expeience of adverts about erectile dysfunctions etc in the toilets, AA membership touts and the occasional dodgy watch salesman.

I've taken to naming a Welcome Break a Welcome Crap, as that is the only reason why I'll want to stop there.
M19
A691(M)

Post by A691(M) »

Mikeg wrote:Anyone know what is happening just north of Leeming Bar, on the southbound side? A temporary roadway has been put down on the field.
It could be electricity works, as they had boards further up near Darlington on both sides of the A1(M), while they worked on two poles. There are electricity poles at this location.

So as the nights grow darker, I only get chance to see what is going on in the morning, earthworks continue between Scotch Corner and Catterick North on what will become the southbound carriageway. Between Catterick North and Cattterick South, still investigation taking place on the the roman remains, the central central support of the new junction is complete, with earthworks bringing the new off line section down for tie in. The off line section from here is progressing towards Lords Lane, where they are building the new bridge that will carry the LAR, first of the hexagon sections going in to place on the southbound side.

Also North of Scotch Corner, work is progressing on the central reservation.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

M19 wrote:
wrinkly wrote:I think the murals have been painted over now. Why do the chains have to destroy anything interesting about a place when they take it over? I liked the mural of someone sitting at a cafe table.
I like the quirkiness of places like Leeming Bar but a lot of places like this have been replaced with services that can really be described as placeless. In other words everything is about the brand regardless of where you go. Even in the places that are quirky by their architecture these interesting features are often are rendered inaccessible, presumably for 'elf an' safety an' all that. I'm thinking of Forton's UFO saucer in this case - such an underused asset.

On the motorway the rest stop at best has become a very predicable and boring experience. At worst it's a Dick Turpin experience if you dare to go for a Starbucks or a Costa. Otherwise its an in yer face expeience of adverts about erectile dysfunctions etc in the toilets, AA membership touts and the occasional dodgy watch salesman.

I've taken to naming a Welcome Break a Welcome Crap, as that is the only reason why I'll want to stop there.
I totally agree and I think it's a real shame about Leeming Bar. I preferred services when they had the huge self-service restaurants, even if they did sell awful coffee. Sadly the public no longer want a sit-down meal, and only want to grab a quick coffee or burger. Couldn't they have offered those within the restaurants?
Tinpusher

Post by Tinpusher »

Duncan wrote:I totally agree and I think it's a real shame about Leeming Bar. I preferred services when they had the huge self-service restaurants, even if they did sell awful coffee. Sadly the public no longer want a sit-down meal, and only want to grab a quick coffee or burger. Couldn't they have offered those within the restaurants?
Off Topic I know but…There is always a 4 mile queue for KFC and/or burger king, whereas the restaurant area has about 4 elderly couples in it who are not talking to each other, and rows of hot plates with bangers and mash for £8.50 on them…The generation has changed. The restaurants will not last 10 years.

Back to the A1(M), I'll try and ask the misses if she will photograph the works when we drive through on Sunday, but…I expect I'll be laughed at until we leave the car at Durham. So. I'll try.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Duncan wrote:I preferred services when they had the huge self-service restaurants, even if they did sell awful coffee. Sadly the public no longer want a sit-down meal, and only want to grab a quick coffee or burger. Couldn't they have offered those within the restaurants?
I occasionally 'fill up' at a local services that has a Little Chef, Burger King and a petrol station that does sandwiches, pies & pasties with its own little seating area. I always order take away and sit in the car/van to eat it - I don't get pestered by staff trying to sell me more & I don't have to listen to everyone else's conversations, instead I get a comfy seat, my own choice of entertainment and if I'm lucky enough phone signal to catch up with e-junk while I'm doing so.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Fenlander wrote:
Duncan wrote:I preferred services when they had the huge self-service restaurants, even if they did sell awful coffee. Sadly the public no longer want a sit-down meal, and only want to grab a quick coffee or burger. Couldn't they have offered those within the restaurants?
I occasionally 'fill up' at a local services that has a Little Chef, Burger King and a petrol station that does sandwiches, pies & pasties with its own little seating area. I always order take away and sit in the car/van to eat it - I don't get pestered by staff trying to sell me more & I don't have to listen to everyone else's conversations, instead I get a comfy seat, my own choice of entertainment and if I'm lucky enough phone signal to catch up with e-junk while I'm doing so.
That's true; I guess I am just being nostalgic. It was in the 1970s that we first went on long-distance holidays as a family, and stopping at MSAs was a highlight for me as I don't think I'd ever been in such huge transport buildings other than railway stations before (we never flew until I was 14). As awful as they were, it was part of the excitement of going on a long journey. I revisited most of them when I started driving in the late 1980s and they didn't seem to have changed, apart from the fact that one now could get a pretty decent meal (at Granada services in particular). After a long break I started following the Albion on the road again by car in 2009, and the big brands were dominating virtually every MSA, while the remaining restaurants served nothing but fried stuff. I guess what I don't like is that the brands make them all look the same. Leeming Bar was at least individual. Now the only variety comes from Westmorland's four services (Tebay East and West, Gloucester and the Junction 38 Truckstop). Going back to Leeming to Barton, does anyone know what Moto is planning? Surely Leeming Bar, Scotch Corner and Barton can't all be viable.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

North of Scotch Corner there's now visible evidence of the central pier of the LAR bridge, with rebar sticking up out of the central reservation. No visible evidence yet of the replacement central barrier.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

wrinkly wrote:North of Scotch Corner there's now visible evidence of the central pier of the LAR bridge, with rebar sticking up out of the central reservation. No visible evidence yet of the replacement central barrier.
Concrete being pumped in this evening.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Press notice to say that a bridge beam lift has been cancelled due to weather:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a1-b ... -cancelled

Presumably this was for the Catterick Central junction bridge.

Strange to have a notice for the cancellation when (as far as I'm aware):

a) there was no notice for the lift in the first place (this is the first I've heard of it)

b) it didn't require any road closures anyway, being offline of the present A1.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Cancelled? Postponed I would have hoped, rather than cancelled!

Derek
Free the A11
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

The A1 around Catterick (through the roadworks) has been closed since about 3.00am this morning because of 'an explosion'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30258728

Will be interesting to see what caused this and if it is connected to the roadworks

Traffic round and about Northallerton is awful at the moment.

Pete
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

I see the BBC are very much emphasizing the fat that it's near the barracks, and to me at least hinting at a possible terror attack or major problem at Marne barracks. Not one word mentioning the roadworks and the far more boring, but far more likely, potential causes like a gas canister for burning road markings or a defective works vehicle, for example. :roll:
Last edited by DavidBrown on Sat Nov 29, 2014 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

It's Marne Barracks, former RAF Catterick, named after the WW1 battle - it does seem a little strange that no detail is yet given.
Lifelong motorhead
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Saw an article on AOL news about the Catterick incident. Sounds serious but the big thing I noticed about it was the picture they used with the article. Captioned as A1 at Catterick it most certainly wasn't as it showed the end of a dual carriageway rather than a continuous one or one being turned into motorway! Very lazy IMO.

I did look at the A1 further north where it isn't continuous dual but couldn't find anywhere that fitted. I am on a mobile device and can't post a link so you will have to search for the article yourselves. Would be interested to find out where it was taken.
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
A181

Post by A181 »

North Yorkshire police just announced that the A1 is open again. Not a word about what it was!

I suspect it was a grand case of over-reaction, but they'll never of course admit it. And how come it took them 15 hours. Surely they'd have been able to find even a penny banger in that time!