A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M19

Re: A1(M) LEEMING - BARTON

Post by M19 »

Achmelvic wrote:The upgrade can't come soon enough based upon the 5 mile tailback heading north this afternoon.

A caravan looked to have been ripped apart, not sure how or why as I only passed southbound as it was being cleared up by the HA. But due to having happened on the D2 section north of Leeming all northbound traffic was reduced to being directed past the remains slowly in one lane, resulting in the above mentioned 5 mile tailback well onto the new section of motorway south of Leeming.

If the D3M had been built here as planned it would all have been moved to the H/S for recovery and at least 2 if not 3 lanes could have remained open.
But at least people, with a bit of warning could have taken the A19, which highlights the value of a parallel strategic route.
M19
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Indeed - if a caravan got ripped apart on the M5 northbound this evening, the queue would have been more like 25 miles. Like you say, M19, the importance of a good alternative is impossible to stress enough - though I suspect that the A1 would have been a lot quieter today than on a normal Monday.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Such fun on bank holidays! The A64 had a 26 mile tailback tonight from York to sherburn with all the traffic coming back from the coast and that had no accidents dread to think what it would have been like with an accident!

As for the A1 it does get busy on bank holidays with traffic to the lakes via A66 and up North but far less lorries on a bank holiday!
stu531

Post by stu531 »

This was horrendous-looking on Google Maps and Waze earlier. (By the way does anyone else use Waze?)

All more evidence that the A64 needs properly upgrading.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

NICK 647063 wrote:Such fun on bank holidays! The A64 had a 26 mile tailback tonight from York to sherburn with all the traffic coming back from the coast and that had no accidents dread to think what it would have been like with an accident!
This is why I don't use the A64 any more.
M19

Post by M19 »

jgharston wrote:
NICK 647063 wrote:Such fun on bank holidays! The A64 had a 26 mile tailback tonight from York to sherburn with all the traffic coming back from the coast and that had no accidents dread to think what it would have been like with an accident!
This is why I don't use the A64 any more.
From the south, to get to somewhere like Scarborough, I'd think it would be feasible to use the M18, M62 and get onto the A614 all the way up to the A165, or via the B1249, or if going to Whitby, peel off and use the B1248 via Wetwang to Norton and up to Malton etc.

Last easter Bank Holiday I did an extreme version of the latter as part of a route from Ketring to Sunerland. My original plan was to follow the A43 to the A1 near Stamford and stay on the A1 until the A168 which would take me onto the A19 and Sunderland.

Traffic problems on the A1 however, led me to divert onto the B6403 High Dike, which I discovered to be a fun alternative roadtrip. My diversion brought me along the B6403 High Dike onto the A17 briefly before picking up the A607 to Lincoln and then the A15 to Hull,followed by the A164, A1079 onto the B1248, multiplex with the A614, then B1248 to Norton A64 west briefly past Malton, then A169, A171, A174 and then the A19 to Sunderland.

Did it get me there any quicker? No. Was it fun though - definitely,with nice quiet roads, including the A169. I guess the cold weather may have put a lot of people off.
M19
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The draft supplementary orders have been published today.

I haven't checked yet but I'm assuming everything is exactly as at the February exhibition.

Edit: From page 5 of the Explanatory Statement it appears that this is not everything we have been waiting for. There is a further side roads order still to come for the Scotch Corner area.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Still some 'optioneering' to be done, vis, exact alignment, etc.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I hope they haven't forgotten it's supposed to start construction in first quarter 2014!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Really?

Might be sooner than you think...
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

Well it has to be this financial year does it not? I presume that agreement is outstanding with the landowners at the northern end-the contractors can get on with the rest in the meantime. The explanatory notice says that the orders will not be made until a statutory instrument is published relating to the Planning Act 2008 "later this year". Crucially a public inquiry has to be avoided. Once the orders are made the contractors can begin on-site work?
John Butler
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Well, it seems like the HA have got the money, and it's burning a hole in their pocket, so the first quarter of 2014 may be pessimistic for the start of works.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

I noticed a number of what look like statutory notices have appeared between Leeming and Scotch Corner. There seems to be 3 notices at each site. Has anyone stopped to read one yet!!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Undoubtedly they'll refer to the recently published draft orders. See my post of 23rd May and follow the links.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Yes Just noticed this link to bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-22795397

If you read it it states its the only remaining section of none motorway A1 between London and Newcastle, it should say via M1 south of Hook Moor!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The remaining supplementary orders, covering side roads etc Scotch Corner to Barton, have now been published.

Available online here.

Exhibition at Middleton Tyas 1-2 Aug.

Press release.

If it's to start on schedule there'll need to be no objections, or only ones that can be settled quickly by negotiation.
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

Well I hope to get to the exhibition at Middleton Tyas-the HA and contractors are more likely to explain the current position informally. I would assume that by publishing the orders for the northern section they are confident of landowner agreement. Of course these are supplementary orders, so the scope for those campaigners who object to all road schemes for the hell of it is somewhat limited. Debaser may know more!
John Butler
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

Called in briefly on Friday-the plans on display seemed no different to those from February. Spoke to one of the design consultants-he was of the view that there had been no sustained objections to the first set of orders. If that is right then surely the only cause for further delay will be logistical-whether enough detailed design and preparation has been done to get started on the ground, once vesting day has passed. After all the money is there to start in 2013/14.
John Butler
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Presumably there could still be objections to the bunch of orders published 2-3 weeks ago. Even if there is no change from the proposals exhibited in February, they have only recently been officially publeshed and become open to formal objection. Doesn't seem very likely though.