A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

NICK 647063

A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by NICK 647063 »

Just thought I would start up a new topic to cover the halted Leeming to Barton improvement which is now due to go ahead!

After news that this scheme is back on I was quite surprised to see that tree removal has already started on a 10 mile section of the A1 to be improved! seems very soon after the news of the upgrade came although I guess there is only a limited period that trees can be felled before bird nesting season ect, so anyway I think this would be a great place to post all news about the upgrade so for starters does anyone know what happens next?

By the end of next year I'm guessing construction will have started?
wrinkly

Re: A1(M) LEEMING - BARTON

Post by wrinkly »

The previous thread is here and has seen a dozen or so posts since Osborne announced the project's revival in his autumn statement.

Do we want/need a new thread? what do people think? The old one has reached the round figure of 100 pages. Or should we ask for this to be merged with it?

When you say tree removal has started do you mean you've read it somewhere or you've seen it happening on site? Are you sure it's for the motorway project?

The HA website hasn't yet acknowledged the project's revival. You'd have a hard job discovering it was ever proposed if the HA website was all you had to go on.

Some resurfacing has apparently been going on south of Catterick but that's probably irrelevant.

As I've said several times in the last couple of weeks, a new Side Roads Order and Compulsory Purchase Order will be needed, to reflect the inquiry inspector's recommendation for additional lengths of local access road. These have yet to be published and if they attract objections they may require a new public inquiry. It's also conceivable that they might lead to changes in the mainline Scheme, though I imagine the HA will try to avoid that, to avoid re-opening the discussion about it.

They could legally start now on removing trees within the present highway boundary, and maybe on any other land they may have bought up in advance and not sold off again. I imagine this would be a good time of year to do it. But are they capable of acting so fast? It's only two weeks since the announcement.

Meanwhile, North Yorks CC, working on the assumption that the motorway project was dead, have produced this report.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Well I Just thought as Dishforth Leeming is complete its best to Just have a Leeming Barton thread as the other one as you say is over 100 pages!

As for the tree removal I have both seen and been told that it is connected to the motorway works, as for the study done by NYCC this Just shows again what money has been wasted due to this scheme been cancelled and now back on It should have never been cancelled in the first place!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Maybe the HA has decided to be really pro-active on this. They may also have had a nod from the Treasury before the speech.

At best, they might have had the necessary new orders ready to publish when the project was dropped in 2010. If so, we may hear something early in the new year.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

This news is what I like waking up to in the morning. :D Can't wait to see this completed.

I wonder what the timeline will be?
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

wrinkly wrote:.

Meanwhile, North Yorks CC, working on the assumption that the motorway project was dead, have produced this report.
As someone who manages the Rights of Way officer here, I really feal for the person who has spent so much time writing that and doing the surveys. I would love to know how much abortive work has been done over the last 2 1/2 years that wouldnt have been needed if the thing was not cancelled in the first place.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
mehere

Post by mehere »

A new thread seems a great idea. And if tree clearance really is underway , Then maybe it's a good sign. But given the track record of this government we shall have to wait and see
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

As much as I like to hear news like this I do feel that the Doncaster-Darrington section is in a more urgent need of upgrading. Leeming-Barton is merely joining the dots. Of course, starting both schemes would be nice :pig:
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Truvelo wrote:I do feel that the Doncaster-Darrington section is in a more urgent need of upgrading.
Totally agree, but sadly, not on any radar to be done
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

As much as I like to hear news like this I do feel that the Doncaster-Darrington section is in a more urgent need of upgrading. Leeming-Barton is merely joining the dots. Of course, starting both schemes would be nice
Yea I totally agree with this although the main reason for Leeming Barton is to Join Newcastle to the rest of the motorway network to the south, the Darrington section is horrible but it will always be pointed out that the M1 to the west completes the motorway connection although going via it adds an extra 10 miles! I always use M18/A1 I'm sure in the future after Leeming to Barton is complete then the Darrington section will stand out although at least that has no central crossings for cars although the footpath crossing at Wentbridge always horrifies me!

Much money has been wasted due to the scheme been cancelled then now put back on the agenda! I know that some central crossings were due to be closed as it looked likely that this was not going to happen for at least 10 more years, but now Leeming to Barton is back on and will be sorted then Darrington leaves a gap in the network via the M1/M18/A1(M) and for that reason I'm sure one day will be sorted!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

NICK 647063 wrote: the Darrington section is horrible but it will always be pointed out that the M1 to the west completes the motorway connection although going via it adds an extra 10 miles!
Not quite 10 miles difference according to Google - 7.3 northbound, 7.1 southbound.

I would normally do it the M18 way.

At least Redhouse - Darrington has no central reservation gaps.
Glom

Post by Glom »

This is good. Gaps get my OCD up.

As more of the A1 gets turned into a motorway, any chance of it getting a proper motorway number?
si404

Post by si404 »

Glom wrote:As more of the A1 gets turned into a motorway, any chance of it getting a proper motorway number?
Like A1(M) - a perfectly proper motorway number...
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

si404 wrote:
Glom wrote:As more of the A1 gets turned into a motorway, any chance of it getting a proper motorway number?
Like A1(M) - a perfectly proper motorway number...
I've got to say, I think these threads/posts which speculate about renumbering certain roads are perhaps the ones which point up the differences between those within and without the industry.

I'd be interested to know just what people think is involved in changing a road number and the associated costs...
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I think Glom's comment about a proper number means Mx rather than Ax(M).

The section north of Aberford would be easy to renumber - just continue the M1 north to Newcastle. As for south of Aberford I would use M10 as it's now a free number.
Big and complex.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I think Glom's comment about a proper number means Mx rather than Ax(M).

The section north of Aberford would be easy to renumber - just continue the M1 north to Newcastle. As for south of Aberford I would use M10 as it's now a free number
Well I think A1(M) is fine for south of Aberford as its used for whats its meant for and thats for sections of the A1 that are motorway and that is ideal unless a complete motorway upgrade south of Aberford happens which is very unlikely!

As for North of Aberford it should be M1 to Newcastle with the LAR becoming the A1 but lets face it I cant see this happening as huge costs are involved but you never know look at the A14 that was all renumbered in the 90's taking over the A45 and A604 ect, so you never know!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

NICK 647063 wrote:Well I think A1(M) is fine for south of Aberford as its used for whats its meant for and thats for sections of the A1 that are motorway and that is ideal unless a complete motorway upgrade south of Aberford happens which is very unlikely!
North of Aberford it's used for exactly the same thing - sections of the A1 that are motorway. They just join up a bit more!

:twisted:
chriscumbria

Post by chriscumbria »

According to PM, M100 was reserved in the early 90's as a number if the A1 was upgraded to motorway the full length between the M25 and Tyneside:

http://www.pathetic.org.uk/unfinished/a1m/
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

A three digit number would be inappropriate for such an important route.
Big and complex.
chriscumbria

Post by chriscumbria »

I agree that a three digit number would be wrong for a major long distance route. Now that it's available, M10 would be more appropriate, should it ever be upgraded in it's entirery but even back in the 90's there were other M1x numbers that could have been reserved.