A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Richardf

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by Richardf »

Richardf wrote:Saw an article on AOL news about the Catterick incident. Sounds serious but the big thing I noticed about it was the picture they used with the article. Captioned as A1 at Catterick it most certainly wasn't as it showed the end of a dual carriageway rather than a continuous one or one being turned into motorway! Very lazy IMO.

I did look at the A1 further north where it isn't continuous dual but couldn't find anywhere that fitted. I am on a mobile device and can't post a link so you will have to search for the article yourselves. Would be interested to find out where it was taken.
Photo Here: http://www.aol.co.uk/article/2014/11/29 ... d=webmail1

Not A1. A66 Perhaps?
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Most news sites were using generic stock photos of roads to illustrate their articles, there's nothing unusual about that. Especially since there wasn't actually anything to show, even if they had sent a photographer to the scene of what was a relatively minor story.
RoadHog

Post by RoadHog »

Richardf wrote: Photo Here: http://www.aol.co.uk/article/2014/11/29 ... d=webmail1
Not A1. A66 Perhaps?
A1, but in Northumberland, just up from the Rover coquet crossing on the what would have been the Morpeth to Felton Dualling scheme if it ever went ahead.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

wrinkly wrote:Press notice to say that a bridge beam lift has been cancelled due to weather:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a1-b ... -cancelled

Presumably this was for the Catterick Central junction bridge.

Strange to have a notice for the cancellation when (as far as I'm aware):

a) there was no notice for the lift in the first place (this is the first I've heard of it)

b) it didn't require any road closures anyway, being offline of the present A1.
Now happening this week:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/brid ... provements
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

wrinkly wrote:
wrinkly wrote:Press notice to say that a bridge beam lift has been cancelled due to weather:

a) there was no notice for the lift in the first place (this is the first I've heard of it)

Now happening this week:

Beams being lifted into place yesterday and this morning
mehere

Post by mehere »

Mikeg wrote:
wrinkly wrote:

Now happening this week:

Beams being lifted into place yesterday and this morning

Does anyone have any photos of the works?. On the last section we seemed to have a lot of photos posted?.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

"Southbound carriageway" beams started going up this morning
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

All beams appear to be in place at Catterick Central.

Both abutments of the LAR bridge midway between Leeming Bar and Catterick are in evidence though not very high yet.

Other than that it's mainly things that haven't happened yet: Scurragh House Lane not connected, and no readily visible evidence of either (i) the minor bridge 3/4 of the way from LB to Catterick, (ii) a central pier for the new bridge at Catterick South, (iii) a replacement central barrier between Scotch Corner and Barton.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Was there today. Work now in evidence on the central pier of the new bridge west of Catterick South with a grove of tall rebar.

Where the two B roads go under at Brompton-on-Swale, the south abutment of the south bridge is looking finished, with formwork and scaffolding removed. A closure of the north B road lasting several weeks is coming up.

Going north on the A1 approaching Catterick Central junction, a road diverging to the left is under construction. I think it's in the wrong place to be part of the permanent works so I think it's for a temporary diversion. It looks like northbound A1 traffic will in the not too distant future be diverted under the new junction bridge. Not clear why - it seems not very helpful unless southbound is diverted too, and the temporary link looks too narrow for that.

I have a theory but it's convoluted so I'll wait and see if it's right.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Scaffolding up on central reservation between Scotch Corner and Barton
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

That's for the central pier of the LAR bridge. Unless there's been a change in the last 24 hours there's no visible evidence yet of the concrete central barrier there.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

wrinkly wrote:That's for the central pier of the LAR bridge. Unless there's been a change in the last 24 hours there's no visible evidence yet of the concrete central barrier there.
No, just the scaffolding
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Mikeg wrote:
wrinkly wrote:That's for the central pier of the LAR bridge. Unless there's been a change in the last 24 hours there's no visible evidence yet of the concrete central barrier there.
No, just the scaffolding
Vertical rebars in place today!
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Central barrier foundations appear to be going in south of Scotch Corner on new section
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Mikeg wrote:Central barrier foundations appear to be going in south of Scotch Corner on new section
My mistake, it's the drainage channels (its was dark last night on way home!)

One of the big matrix signs southbound between Barton and Scotch Corner has gone and there was a lot of plant in the old quarry next to the B6275 at the Barton junction.
Jaggzuk

Post by Jaggzuk »

The kit at the Quarry is a concrete batching plant which I am assuming is for all the slip-form works.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Mikeg wrote:
Mikeg wrote:
No, just the scaffolding
Vertical rebars in place today!
Shuttering looks finished, concrete next
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Concrete poured in at Barton and about 100m of central barrier up as well
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

wrinkly wrote:Going north on the A1 approaching Catterick Central junction, a road diverging to the left is under construction. I think it's in the wrong place to be part of the permanent works so I think it's for a temporary diversion. It looks like northbound A1 traffic will in the not too distant future be diverted under the new junction bridge. Not clear why - it seems not very helpful unless southbound is diverted too, and the temporary link looks too narrow for that.
Saw it again today. It doesn't have blacktop yet so it won't be in use very soon. But I now think it's wide enough for four lanes of temporary diversion, so I think all A1 traffic will be going under the new junction bridge fairly soon. This will enable completion of the east side of Catterick Central junction - the east roundabout is right above the present A1.

The more northerly of the two B roads at Brompton-on-Swale has been closed for a few weeks to place beams for the new southbound bridge. The closure ended around noon today, which by chance was while I was there, so having failed once today to get under the bridge I succeeded later. The closure will now be switched to the southern B road, starting this evening I think, so the beams can be placed there.

Going south from Scotch Corner the site of the new southbound now looks nice and smooth and no longer like a battlefield, and the concrete drainge channel between it and the central reservation is in place.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Mikeg wrote:Concrete poured in at Barton and about 100m of central barrier up as well
Shuttering coming down and more barrier gone up!