A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Repmobile

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by Repmobile »

wrinkly wrote:The new Kneeton Hall bridge is open. I was able to drive over it this afternoon.

The southbound halves of the decks of the old bridges over the two B roads at Brompton-on-S are being demolished, in fact one of them has gone, though northbound traffic is still using the other halves.
I went for a nosey around there and across the new bridge this morning in the horizontal rain!. A couple of workers on the 'new' bridge finishing bits off looked surprised that someone was actually using it!.

From what I could see of the old one in the driving rain it looked pretty much demolshed so hopefully we won't have a repeat of the overrun that occurred in the demoltion of Fort bridge.

Pete
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

There was a temporary VMS on the A689 at J60 this morning saying "Time left on A1 diversion 55 mins". One would think that would be better employed on the mainline rather than after turning off, but still.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

I drove up the A1 from Leeming Bar to Catterick yesterday. I see the beams for the new LAR overbridge located between Leeming Bar and Catterick are now on site waiting to be put up. This is apparently going to happen during the various closures over next weekend 11/12/13 December.

Details of the forthcoming A1 closures have been added here:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... provement/

Scroll down the list).

It is fortuitous that nothing is planned for this weekend with the gale force winds forecast.

Pete
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

There's now a press release about the closure. It describes the bridge as carrying Low Street!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a1-o ... ge-upgrade

I can't see where on the scheme website it gives the reason for the closure.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

wrinkly wrote:There's now a press release about the closure. It describes the bridge as carrying Low Street!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a1-o ... ge-upgrade

I can't see where on the scheme website it gives the reason for the closure.
Hi wrinkly,

I found out the reason for the closure this coming weekend when I went exploring Kneeton Hall's new bridge nearly a fortnight ago. I got chatting to one one of the project's bridge engineers and he told me what was happening with the 'southern' bridge and the beams going in.

I passed the site yesterday and a large crane is now there and they look almost ready to go. I just hope the weather holds out for them this weekend as, if it is too windy to lift the beams, they will have to delay and use the 'contingency closure' the following weekend.

Pete
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

I received an e-mail overnight from Highways England telling me of some changes to this coming weekend's road closures.

Amended details here: http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... ent?impact (scroll down).

It doesn't really affect the mainline as far as I can see with its already published overnight closures, but there are some more works on minor roads around the area.

Pete
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

I was working in Catterick again last week, and the new A6136 junction had opened, but I zipped past it as it looked like a works access and didn't see it until I saw the A6136 confirmation sign on the tiger tails, so ended up going all the way to Richmond and go the long way around.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

jgharston wrote:I was working in Catterick again last week, and the new A6136 junction had opened, but I zipped past it as it looked like a works access and didn't see it until I saw the A6136 confirmation sign on the tiger tails, so ended up going all the way to Richmond and go the long way around.
Yes, I must admit the new junction is not very well signposted in advance, particularly if on the northbound carriageway in the dark and as you say it does look somewhat like a works entry point.
It does afford a much quicker route from the A1 to the Garrison/Colburn etc than was previously the case though.

I wonder what with yesterdays snow and overnight ice etc if the beams for the LAR overbridge between J51 and Catterick got lifted into place. I know they have tonight and tomorrow night as a 'contingency closure' if they haven't finished the job.

On another note, it is a pity that the temporarily re-opened off slip junction on the Southbound A1 leading into the A6136 at the Brompton on Swale end isn't going to be a permanent fixture. It affords very quick access to Brompton on Swale and its industrial estate and also to the B6271 and B1263 etc without having to either take the LAR from Scotch Corner or coming off at the new junction and back tracking.

Pete
Sam

Post by Sam »

I drove southbound at around 1230 yesterday (Sunday). The bridge was halfway across the southbound running carriageway, with the beams sitting at the side - did they manage to get lifted in last night?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The steel beams are all in place for the LAR bridge between Leeming Bar and Wetherby but you can see sky between them - there's no formwork for the deck yet.

The decks and beams for the southbound halves of the old bridges over the two B roads at Brompton-on-Swale are all gone, though traffic is still using the northbound halves. I suspect that the old abutments are to remain, and get new beams and decks, but time will tell.

The southbound widening between Barton and Scotch Corner has progressed quickly in recent weeks and the lowest blacktop course is now mostly in place. I believe the plan is to put a contraflow on the southbound side once it's ready. That should have happened a while ago according to the original programme.

The NE approach road to the future LAR bridge south of Kneeton Hall bridge is largely done, though the SW approach road is nowhere.

There's a covered-up blue flag-type direction and chopsticks sign at the start of the northbound on-slip at Catterick Central junction. Is this the first permanent sign on the contract?

I think a major theme in the coming months will be getting traffic on the future motorway where it bypasses Catterick South junction. A prerequisite for that will be to get local traffic off the old alignments of Catterick Lane and Tunstall Road and onto the new overbridge. However, work has yet to start to tie in its eastern approach road to the existing road at Catterick South.
RoadHog

Post by RoadHog »

[quote="wrinkly"]... between Leeming Bar and Wetherby ... quote]

Wetherby?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Sorry, I mesnt Leeming Bar and Catterick.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Well, after the Christmas and New Year break I see we are back to overnight road closures this coming weekend with a full closure of the A1 from 2000hrs Friday 8th Jan to 0600hrs Saturday 9th Jan.

Northbound the closure is from J50 (Baldersby) to Scotch Corner.

Southbound the closure is from Scotch to J51 (Leeming Bar).

Full details and diversion routes here: http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... mprovement

I am quite surprised the closure is on Friday Night/Saturday morning when usually they opt to close it over the usually quieter Saturday Night/Sunday Morning.

I suppose they may use Sat Night/Sun Morning as a contingency but they normally advertise this in advance if doing so.

On another note, a colleague from work who had started to use the new link road from Scotch Corner to Scurrah House Lane/Moulton (passing the Morris Grange Nursing Home etc) received a firm telling off from the local traffic police for driving past the road closed signs. (The closure, other than for access to the nursing home and the farms, is apparently still covered by a temporary traffic regulation order). The nursing home has complained about the volume of traffic using the new road as a short cut and also ignoring the 15mph limit so the police are giving it some attention!

Pete

09/01/16 - Edit to add: Some more A1 closures have been added to the link I posted above. Click on the 'Journey Impact' tab when the page loads to see the extra road closures.
Last edited by Repmobile on Sun Jan 10, 2016 15:20, edited 3 times in total.
ionatransit

Post by ionatransit »

Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Update from Traffic England:

'Catterick South northbound exit slip will be permanently closed from Friday 22 January 2016'

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... ent?latest

That could be interesting as it is currently part of the diversion route from Catterick Village to the Garrison. Unless of course the old A1 (soon to be the LAR) opens between Catterick South and the new Catterick Central junction with all A1 through traffic fully moved across to the new road.

Pete
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Repmobile wrote:Update from Traffic England:

'Catterick South northbound exit slip will be permanently closed from Friday 22 January 2016'

That could be interesting as it is currently part of the diversion route from Catterick Village to the Garrison.
Surely it's the northbound entry and southbound exit that are part of the diversion route.

Perhaps the motive is to reduce traffic in the vicinity of the tie-in that has to be completed between the existing link over the existing bridge and the new link over the new bridge. (See the last paragraph of my post of 27 Dec.)
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

wrinkly wrote:
Repmobile wrote:Update from Traffic England:

That could be interesting as it is currently part of the diversion route from Catterick Village to the Garrison.
Surely it's the northbound entry and southbound exit that are part of the diversion route.

Perhaps the motive is to reduce traffic in the vicinity of the tie-in that has to be completed between the existing link over the existing bridge and the new link over the new bridge. (See the last paragraph of my post of 27 Dec.)
You are right of course wrinkly (I am getting my entry slips and exit slips confused - We normally use the terminology on/off slips at work).

Yes it could well be for the tie ins. I suppose A1 northbound traffic for Catterick Village/Marne Barracks will have to drive up to the new junction, go around that and come back south to leave the A1 at Catterick South Southbound off slip, pending completion of the LAR?

Pete
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Repmobile wrote: I suppose A1 northbound traffic for Catterick Village/Marne Barracks will have to drive up to the new junction, go around that and come back south to leave the A1 at Catterick South Southbound off slip, pending completion of the LAR?
Yes, it says so on the journey impact page:
Catterick South junction northbound exit slip on the A1 northbound permanently closed – diversion via Catterick central junction.

Meanwhile some archaeology:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/monu ... ong-the-a1
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Might not the Catterick Central junction have another purpose, to provide faster access to the racecourse than using the original A1 through the village? Having visited the racecourse, I've always thought a junction with the A6136 and A1 would make access to the A1 quicker, as the racecourse is only about 400 yards away, than the long slog northwards through the village to the A1( it does seem Catterick attracts a strong following from the North East and Cumbria).
Berk

Post by Berk »

I don't think the racecourse's needs would trump the garrison. Which is there all year round, as opposed to the odd day's racing...