A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Achmelvic

Re: A1(M) LEEMING - BARTON

Post by Achmelvic »

Mark Hewitt wrote:The services could expand to the North with no impact on Middleton Tyas.
I was thinking it's not so much the land take as the potential increase in the traffic along Middleton Tyas Lane that locals would be opposed to. If a bigger MSA has it's own access onto the main roundabout might be less of a problem IMO, or just move the whole site elsewhere as the current one is rubbish anyhow.
j033y

Post by j033y »

I have just uploaded a couple of pictures from the highways agency.

They're a shrunk down version of the exhibition posters:

Picture 1 of 2
Picture 2 of 2

Enjoy
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

LAR provision looks pretty good!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Get it built I say - just a pity we still have no direct links to the A66.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Thanks for the plans. Am I right in thinking at Cattrick the LAR follows the existing A1 which will be reduced from dual to single and the new A1(M) will be on a new line
The M25 - The road to nowhere
bob@romiley1

Post by bob@romiley1 »

A303Chris wrote:Thanks for the plans. Am I right in thinking at Cattrick the LAR follows the existing A1 which will be reduced from dual to single and the new A1(M) will be on a new line

That is how I read the plans
Bob
echowarning

Post by echowarning »

Still think Scotch Corner is a missed opportunity to do something with a bit of future proofing - but as a whole a worthwhile scheme so still good to see it going ahead!
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

Yes these plans appear to be identical to the exhibition photos I displayed earlier. It just goes to show the progress that can be made when the money tap is turned on. 8-)
John Butler
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

On which note, the major construction will probably start about this time next year (there's a shedload of detailed design to do as you can imagine), but the HA are wanting to get going on anything that can be done earlier, so there might be progress, for example on the LAR, later this year.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

And trips south will be slow again :(
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I'm not sure I can see that petrol filling station immediately south of Scotch Corner (currently on the N/B A1 carriageway) lasting too long after the new road is built...

All in all though, the plans look good - just what I'd be looking for...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Mark Hewitt wrote:And trips south will be slow again :(
During Disforth - Leeming I used the A19, I suppose from your address its to much of a trip over to the A19 to make it worth while
The M25 - The road to nowhere
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I suppose it depends how often you use the route. If a road I used once a week or less was being upgraded to motorway, I would welcome a speed limit as increasing my chances to watch the progress of the work.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

A303Chris wrote:
Mark Hewitt wrote:And trips south will be slow again :(
During Disforth - Leeming I used the A19, I suppose from your address its to much of a trip over to the A19 to make it worth while
I did too when commuting to York. Thankfully trips to the south are sufficiently infrequent now as to not be a big problem.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Not sure if this is now also the appropriate thread for the A684 BALB bypass.

It seems the public inquiry on the side roads order and CPO will start on 21 May.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Further news on the A684 BALB.

Spring 2014 to 2016 will be busy in this corner of North Yorkshire.

http://www.highwaysmagazine.co.uk/bids- ... %2F04%2F13
j033y

Post by j033y »

50MPH along this stretch at the moment, is this for tree felling, or pre major works repairs?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Wouldn't be tree felling, it's surely nesting season now. The winter felling was completed AFAIK and unconnected with the motorway proposal.

The only thing I can find on the HA website is resurfacing northbound at Catterick so I suppose it's that.

Nothing on the traffic website except rain. I see it doesn't show the VMSs north of Dishforth.
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

The scheme to close the central gaps appears to be finished. The cones have gone and there are shiny new stretches of safety barriers. The signs have been adapted as well. Should save a few lives over the next four years.
John Butler
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

The upgrade can't come soon enough based upon the 5 mile tailback heading north this afternoon.

A caravan looked to have been ripped apart, not sure how or why as I only passed southbound as it was being cleared up by the HA. But due to having happened on the D2 section north of Leeming all northbound traffic was reduced to being directed past the remains slowly in one lane, resulting in the above mentioned 5 mile tailback well onto the new section of motorway south of Leeming.

If the D3M had been built here as planned it would all have been moved to the H/S for recovery and at least 2 if not 3 lanes could have remained open.