A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

a_c_skinner

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by a_c_skinner »

From what I saw today, Saturday, about 1230 it will be a good plan to avoid the Scotch Corner junction if possible. The A1 was flowing OK (though a queue on the southbound off slip was close to spilling back onto lane 1) but the A66 to the roundabout was a very long wait. I'll post again when the roundabout is back to normal.
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

I had a local map in the mid 60s which showed the Middlesbrough to Thornaby "wilderness" road as the A67, but the signs in 1966 when I looked out of interest were showing A66. I presume now that the change coincided with the opening of the A66(M).
John Butler
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

jcb336 wrote:I had a local map in the mid 60s which showed the Middlesbrough to Thornaby "wilderness" road as the A67, but the signs in 1966 when I looked out of interest were showing A66. I presume now that the change coincided with the opening of the A66(M).
Could be, frankly all we ever called it was the wilderness road. I got it off a old AA route map showing destinations and distances from Middlesbrough but that dates back to the mid 60's too.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

With the new Tunstall bridge open, the layout for local traffic now agrees with this - specifically with what's shown as Phase 4.

It says the old Tunstall Briridge will be demolished during this phase. (As previously noted, it says the same for phase 6, but that's probably a typo for the old junction bridge.) Perhaps they'll try to do it in one of the frequent overnight closures, or perhaps there'll be a special longer closure. If it was my decision I'd leave the demolition until through traffic had been diverted under the new bridge, but perhaps there's some reason why it has to be done earlier.

At Brompton all the new beams for the northbound bridges over the B roads are now in place on the old abutments. The old decks are gone and the new ones have yet to be cast.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

If anyone is interested and lives up that way , the weekend after next the HE are organising trips to the Archaeological sites found along the road.

Details here
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Northbound from Scotch Corner to Barton has its white lines down
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Mikeg wrote:Northbound from Scotch Corner to Barton has its white lines down
I was chatting to one of the engineers at the Catterick archeological event yesterday. He said it is expected that the traffic would move back onto the northbound carriageway between the Scotch Corner northbound onslip and J56 (Barton) during the overnight closures 25/27th July.

Pete
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Repmobile wrote:[ He said it is expected that the traffic would move back onto the northbound carriageway between the Scotch Corner northbound onslip and J56 (Barton) during the overnight closures 25/27th July.
Comparing with the programme for Scotch Corner to Barton which I saved from the web (it came from supporting materials for the public inquiry), they are only a week or two behind in that regard.

If they are still using the same method as proposed then, they will transfer northbound traffic, do some work on the central reserve, then transfer southbound traffic after two weeks, then spend 13 weeks with a contraflow on the northbound before switching southbound traffic back.

In contrast, according to this programme, the LAR should have been finished and opened, including over the bridge, by the end of February this year.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

wrinkly wrote:
Repmobile wrote:[ He said it is expected that the traffic would move back onto the northbound carriageway between the Scotch Corner northbound onslip and J56 (Barton) during the overnight closures 25/27th July.
Comparing with the programme for Scotch Corner to Barton which I saved from the web (it came from supporting materials for the public inquiry), they are only a week or two behind in that regard.

If they are still using the same method as proposed then, they will transfer northbound traffic, do some work on the central reserve, then transfer southbound traffic after two weeks, then spend 13 weeks with a contraflow on the northbound before switching southbound traffic back.

In contrast, according to this programme, the LAR should have been finished and opened, including over the bridge, by the end of February this year.
The temporary steel barriers were in place this evening
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Mikeg wrote:
wrinkly wrote:

The temporary steel barriers were in place this evening
New northbound open this morning
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

There's now a contraflow on the northbound from a point some distance north of Scotch Corner to Barton.

Northbound traffic still splits to go under the Scotch Corner bridges, with the left lane going through the west span and the right lane sharing the east span with two southbound lanes. Then the left lane moves right to combine with the right lane before both move left for the contraflow and for the merge of the northbound on-slip.

Further south the concrete permanent central barrier is now continuous from near Leeming Bar to the 4-lane crossover south of Catterick.

The west abutment of the replacement Fort Bridge now looks finished and clear of scaffolding.
ionatransit

Post by ionatransit »

Drove over the new northbound section from scotch corner to barton on monday. The new bridge for the LAR looks finished whilst on the southbound carriageway under the bridge they had dug out a huge hole.

This was posted on the A1 improvement scheme facebook this morning...

"The A1 will be closed from 8pm on Saturday 13 August until 8am on Sunday 14 August northbound between Scotch Corner and Junction 56 (Barton) to allow contractors to reconstruct the northbound carriageway on behalf of Highways England.
A diversion route (Map attached) will be in place at junction 49 where northbound traffic will be directed off the A1 to use the A19 and will re-join at junction 60 (Bradbury Interchange). Motorists joining the A1 north of junction 49 will be diverted at Scotch Corner via the A66/A67.
Then between 8am Sunday 14 and 8pm Sunday 14 August the A1 will reopen between Scotch Corner and junction 56 (Barton) in a single lane to allow motorists to continue their journey north on the A1."
a_c_skinner

Post by a_c_skinner »

Meant to post this a couple of days ago. The Scotch Corner roundabout was still single lane on the Northern bridge, two lanes on the Southern but traffic seemed to be moving freely around mid morning.

Andrew
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

ionatransit wrote:
Then between 8am Sunday 14 and 8pm Sunday 14 August the A1 will reopen between Scotch Corner and junction 56 (Barton) in a single lane to allow motorists to continue their journey north on the A1."

A nightmare trying to get through northbound earlier this morning (just after 8.00am).

The 'single lane northbound' starts level with where the old Shell Petrol Station at High Brough Moor (now on the LAR) is, and then continues northwards to J56 Barton where all traffic is diverted down the off slip, round the roundabout (which is only one lane all the way around) and then up the on slip. (There is a lot of work ongoing on the northbound mainline above J56).

I drove back southbound about 20 minutes ago and the northbound traffic was tailed back almost to Catterick Central junction.

I understand the northbound gantry signs at J49 (Dishforth) are pointed to take A1 northbound through traffic onto the A168/A19 diversion but it seems a lot of motorists are ignoring the diversion and continuing up the A1!
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

The new southbound carriageway from Catterick South down to Leeming Bar has its white lines down and a speed camera gantry in place.
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

Mikeg wrote:The new southbound carriageway from Catterick South down to Leeming Bar has its white lines down and a speed camera gantry in place.
New southbound section open this morning!
moggsy

Post by moggsy »

Look North on the BBC this morning reported that the road is nearly finished!

I think it must be a slow news day.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Northbound traffic will start using the offline section west of Catterick South on the morning of Tue 6 Sep, with southbound following later in that week. Maybe that's what prompted the item Moggsy saw.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... to-drivers

Then all through traffic will be within the bounds of the future motorway for the first time.
a_c_skinner

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton - Scotch Corner

Post by a_c_skinner »

Still one lane only on the Northern Bridge. It was coping on Tuesday, mid morning, but busier times mean a queue on the A66 Eastbound. Still two lanes on the Southern Bridge but with a shallow but wide hole separating them.
ionatransit

Post by ionatransit »

Found another video on you tube

https://youtu.be/q_Cwf_RjCD4

Looks like this was taken when they built Catterick central.