A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ionatransit

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by ionatransit »

The northbound carriageway between Catterick north and Scotch corner is still the same as the new northbound carriageway is being built alongside it. Apart from the alterations at each end to tie it in with the rest of the LAR I dont think the rest of it will change. The short section under the A66 junction also looks the same although I expect it will be resurfaced.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris56000 wrote:Did anybody notice that the Catterick Central junction looks like it's going to be '52', as I suspected it might be when I made an earlier post in this thread?
I don't think that's much of a surprise - Leeming Bar is 51, and Catterick Central will be the next junction north of there.

I continue to find it disappointing that there will be two spare junction numbers on the un-junction-able stretch between Scotch Corner and Barton. There's no particular reason to expect it to be done differently, I just think it's frustratingly untidy!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Chris5156 wrote:
Chris56000 wrote:Did anybody notice that the Catterick Central junction looks like it's going to be '52', as I suspected it might be when I made an earlier post in this thread?
I don't think that's much of a surprise - Leeming Bar is 51, and Catterick Central will be the next junction north of there.

I continue to find it disappointing that there will be two spare junction numbers on the un-junction-able stretch between Scotch Corner and Barton. There's no particular reason to expect it to be done differently, I just think it's frustratingly untidy!
Perhaps one day it'll all be numbered M1 and the junctions renumbered along with it! Or perhaps not...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Chris56000 wrote:The question referred to the photo of the A1 near Scotch Corner where the wiew seems to show the road as it originally was before construction of L to B started - to rephrase the question - are there still any lengths of the old A1 left not yet under reconstruction along the scheme?
As ionatransit says, what you see there is the old northbound, still in use as such, that will become the LAR. On that stretch the new southbound was opened a while ago, and the new northbound is under construction on the site of the old southbound. You can see the old and new central barriers in some of the pictures if you look carefully.

There's also a 1.5-mile stretch, extending north and south from Catterick South junction, where the old carriageways are still open (though the northbound has been re-marked with narrow lanes) as the motorway will be on a separate alignment to the west. Once that is trafficked, the northbound will be closed and the southbound will become the LAR.
ionatransit wrote: The short section under the A66 junction also looks the same although I expect it will be resurfaced.
That is now happening. As mentioned by repmobile above and as partially shown in some of your own pictures, northbound traffic under the roundabout is now split, with one lane on the old hard shoulder and the other on the old southbound lane 2.

I was there today and will post more later.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

wrinkly wrote:I was there today and will post more later.
All traffic on the A6108 now goes (with single alternate line working) the long way round the new roundabout where it will meet the LAR.

The other new roundabout, in the NW quadrant of the Scotch Corner junction, is coming along nicely, with most of its kerblines in place.

Having gone to the trouble of holding an exhibition about diversions for local traffic in the Catterick South area, produced a leaflet and put it on the scheme website, they have now implemented a layout which is not the same as any of the six phases shown!

- The new link alongside the future motorway is open to two-way traffic.

- The new bridge is not yet open.

- Tunstall Lane is closed where it crosses the old A1 and future A1(M).

- The temporary northbound on-slip from Tunstall Lane is open (and traffic from it uses the future northbound lane 3 for a distance before merging with traffic heading for the Catterick Central northbound exit slip).

The descriptions of Phases 4 and 6 both claim to include the demolition of the old Tunstall Road bridge. The one in phase 6 is probably a mistake for Catterick South junction bridge. However as they are now doing things differently, what will actually happen is anyone's guess.

An unidentified new building is under construction at the corner of Leases Road and the entrance to Coneygarth Services.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

wrinkly wrote:
wrinkly wrote:I was there today and will post more later.
All traffic on the A6108 now goes (with single alternate line working) the long way round the new roundabout where it will meet the LAR.

The other new roundabout, in the NW quadrant of the Scotch Corner junction, is coming along nicely, with most of its kerblines in place.

Having gone to the trouble of holding an exhibition about diversions for local traffic in the Catterick South area, produced a leaflet and put it on the scheme website, they have now implemented a layout which is not the same as any of the six phases shown!

- The new link alongside the future motorway is open to two-way traffic.

- The new bridge is not yet open.

- Tunstall Lane is closed where it crosses the old A1 and future A1(M).

- The temporary northbound on-slip from Tunstall Lane is open (and traffic from it uses the future northbound lane 3 for a distance before merging with traffic heading for the Catterick Central northbound exit slip).

The descriptions of Phases 4 and 6 both claim to include the demolition of the old Tunstall Road bridge. The one in phase 6 is probably a mistake for Catterick South junction bridge. However as they are now doing things differently, what will actually happen is anyone's guess.

An unidentified new building is under construction at the corner of Leases Road and the entrance to Coneygarth Services.
Hi Wrinkly,

Following the exhibition at Catterick the other week, from what I gather they have changed a few of the plans following local concerns etc.

Also the new build at Coneygarth Truck Services is construction of an administrative office building for Exelby Services Coneygarth. The planning bumph/plan and reports for it are here:

http://documents.hambleton.gov.uk/Anite ... sults.aspx

Also something I found on the web regarding the interesting history behind Coneythorpe Services and how it came about is here:

http://www.forecourttrader.co.uk/news/f ... _saga.html

Pete
GrahamD

Post by GrahamD »

c2R wrote:
Chris5156 wrote:

Perhaps one day it'll all be numbered M1 and the junctions renumbered along with it! Or perhaps not...
Would make sense for Scotch Corner to be J55, leaving 53 and 54 spare.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

I would avoid the entire A1(M)/A1 between Baldersby/Leeming Bar to Scotch Corner between the evening of the 7th of May to the morning of 9th of May (2000hrs Saturday 7th May to 0600hrs Monday 9th May) due to a full closure both northbound and southbound.

The full details are:

A1(M) & A1 Southbound Full closure between Scotch Corner to junction 51 (Leeming) (Diversion via A689 to A19 or A66(M) to A19) Please note the diversion begins at A1(M) junction 60 for journeys to or further south than A1(M) junction 49. There is no through southbound route from Scotch Corner junction to A1(M) junction 49

A1/A1(M) Northbound full closure between junction 50 (Baldersby) to Scotch Corner (diversion via A168 / A19 to A689)

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-p ... ent?impact

I wonder if this is to demolish the former Tunstall overbridge somewhat earlier than originally planned? Also to move northbound traffic between Catterick North Junction and Scotch over to the new alignment as it looks almost ready to accept traffic.

Pete
Last edited by Repmobile on Fri Apr 29, 2016 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Repmobile wrote:I wonder if this is to demolish the former Tunstall overbridge somewhat earlier than originally planned? Also to move northbound traffic between Catterick North Junction and Scotch over to the new alignment as it looks almost ready to accept traffic.
Demolition of an overbridge is the only explanation I can think of for such a long closure, and Tunstall bridge is the only likely candidate, so yes. There may use the closure for other things too, such as the switch you mention.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

wrinkly wrote:
Repmobile wrote:I wonder if this is to demolish the former Tunstall overbridge somewhat earlier than originally planned? Also to move northbound traffic between Catterick North Junction and Scotch over to the new alignment as it looks almost ready to accept traffic.
Demolition of an overbridge is the only explanation I can think of for such a long closure, and Tunstall bridge is the only likely candidate, so yes. There may use the closure for other things too, such as the switch you mention.
We are wrong about bridge demolition being the cause of this coming weekends closure:

A Message from A1L2B

Please note that a 34-hour closure of the A1 is being planned so that we can undertake a drainage crossing at the River Swale. Dates for this closure are as follows:

Saturday 7th May 8pm – Monday 9th May 6am

http://www.brompton-on-swale.org.uk/a1- ... mentation/

Pete
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

From today's local rag:

''Work on new A1 flood prevention scheme to get underway next week''

MAJOR works to prevent flooding on the main arterial road in the region are to begin next week.

A £6 million storage reservoir to protect Catterick Village and the A1 from flooding is being constructed, with the first trenches being dug by hand next week.

It is hoped the project will prevent a repeat of the serious flooding that hit the A1 in 2012, when it had to be closed for 24 hours in both directions.

With the A1 Leeming Bar to Barton upgrade due for completion in spring 2017, Highways England and local authorities want to ensure the main route linking the north and south of the country remains open whatever the weather.

The storage reservoir is to be built upstream of Catterick, between Brough Park and the A1, and will hold back 91 million gallons of water which in the event of heavy or persistent rain would overwhelm Brough Beck and put the village and motorway at risk.

The project has been jointly funded by the Environment Agency, Highways England and North Yorkshire County Council and will take a year to complete.

The main works will comprise two large earth embankments up to six metres high, diversion of Brough Beck and the construction of a new flow control structure.

Landscaping will also be undertaken which will include tree planting, reinstatement of hedgerows and the creation of a wetland pond.

Phil Boyes, the Environment Agency’s project manager for the scheme, said: “When completed, the storage reservoir will hold flood water back so it flows more slowly down Brough Beck towards Catterick Village and the new section of the A1. This will significantly reduce flood risk in the area.

More here:
http://bit.ly/1rZyntr
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully it will stop a repeat of the havoc the last time the A1 flooded in this area.

Pete
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The storage reservoir is to be built upstream of Catterick, between Brough Park and the A1
Brough Park is presumably the grounds of Brough Hall, which is marked on the OS map, along with Brough Beck, west of Catterick.
ionatransit

Post by ionatransit »

Thanks for the update Pete. I was down that way yesterday as I needed the van for a job interview so I had to take Rachel to work and back. Work seems to be cracking on now with the new northbound lane between Catterick north and Scotch corner looking nearly complete. When I passed Catterick north they were laying down tarmac on the new alignment so it may not be long now before the new section comes into use. Also quite a lot of the cladding had been taken down off the canopy at the old shell garage. There appears to be a new road taking shape at Catterick central that runs down from the new roundabout to the side of the racecourse. Not sure if this may be a new link road to the racecourse or it is in connection with the drainage scheme?
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

ionatransit wrote:Thanks for the update Pete. I was down that way yesterday as I needed the van for a job interview so I had to take Rachel to work and back. Work seems to be cracking on now with the new northbound lane between Catterick north and Scotch corner looking nearly complete. When I passed Catterick north they were laying down tarmac on the new alignment so it may not be long now before the new section comes into use. Also quite a lot of the cladding had been taken down off the canopy at the old shell garage. There appears to be a new road taking shape at Catterick central that runs down from the new roundabout to the side of the racecourse. Not sure if this may be a new link road to the racecourse or it is in connection with the drainage scheme?
Hi ionatransit,

Originally in the plans there was a road planned to link from the eastern roundabout at Catterick Central to the A6136 immediately north of Catterick Village, but south of the racecourse, cutting through the Pallett Hill Quarry site.

It is as per OA16 of the gazette here: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/L-58080-124

''OA 16 Pallet Hill Link
This alternative provides a new length of highway from the eastern roundabout of the proposed Catterick Central junction in an easterly direction. It passes through the Pallet Hill quarry area before forming a junction with the A6136, to the south of Catterick racecourse''.

However a number of issues and objections were raised, in particular about the archaeology in the immediate vicinity allegedly going back to the Ironage and also a 12th Centuary 'motte & bailey' castle which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The archaeologists are apparantly required to do a full survey/dig before the road can be built. There were also concerns about the road running through what is currently a nature reserve on part of the Pallet Hill site.

So, what I think (and it is only a guess until I can get hold of one of our local councillors), is that the road will eventually go ahead in the future and the link off the roadabout has been built in readiness for it, as and when all the issues are resolved.

Pete
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Just an update for anyone in the area.

Despite what the yellow signage says, it is still possible to get southbound from Catterick Central junction to Catterick South junction via the A1. Also possible using the new bridge and the 'new' bit of the A1 to go northbound from Catterick South to Catterick Central. The are big illuminated signs saying this particular route is closed, however I checked with L2B last week who confirmed this route would be open and unaffected by the 34 hour A1 hour closure! So the signage is totally incorrect.

Also both Station Road and Bridge Road at Brompton on Swale are open which makes a change, albeit the western most parts of both overbridges are still 'missing'. So no doubt we will shortly return to only having one of these roads open at any particular time.

Pete
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Not exactly sure who to complain to, probably L2B themselves, but today got even sillier with the A1 closure and the local diversions around Catterick Central and the wider Dishforth to Darlington diversions.

By this morning the signs had been removed saying the A1 was closed between Catterick South and Catterick Central. All well and good, but they had actually then closed the route between the two today. With the Richmond Equestrian Centre at Brough Park having their annual horse trials today there was horse boxes large and small having to turn around in the narrow lanes around Catterick Village, Hackforth, Tunstall etc as L2B didn't let the Equestrian Centre know about the changes today and thus the competitors were going by the directions orginally given to them. Plus there were plenty of HGV's and other motorists all trying to find a way between the two and getting hopelessly lost in the process. Overall it was a complete mess.

Further south on the A1(M) northbound carriageway approaching J49 at Dishforth, one of the overhead signs was telling all traffic to come off the A1(M) at J49 and to use the A168, with the next overhead sign saying the A168 was closed and to use the A1(M) northbound! So a lot of traffic was dithering somewhat, not sure which route to use (the A168 was open and clear by the way).

Northallerton was a complete joke with traffic diverted through it, however the High Street was closed off most of the morning and until around 3.00pm due to the RAF having their annual 'Freedom' parade in the town. Add in extra traffic going to the bike racing at Croft Circuit and it was a nightmare. It really seems like the decision to close the A1 this weekend was made at relatively short notice, with little or no liaison with North Yorskhire Council and other stakeholders about events already planned on the diversionary and closed routes.

Plus (and I know this cannot be legislated for) it was probably the sunniest and warmest Sunday so far this Spring so a lot of extra traffic seemed to be out and about on the roads as well.

All together not a day to have been out and about in the area!!
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

As well as the work to undertake the 'drainage crossing' at the River Swale which was done over the last weekend closure, there is also a new 'tie in' on the northbound carriageway just north of Catterick North junction. It looks like it is to enable traffic on the old northbound alignment to go onto the new alignment. However it did seem a bit narrow for two lanes, so perhaps as has happened further north, only the outside northbound lane (lane 2) is going to change to the new alignment initially.

Pete
ionatransit

Post by ionatransit »

Hi Pete you beat me to it as I noticed the new 'tie in' this morning when I took our lass to work. At the moment it's signed as works access but I did wonder if they were going to use it to divert traffic onto the new northbound carriageway. What I would say is it looks too narrow for HGVs and also has a bit of a slope down. Driving past the new northbound section this morning it looks almost finished with all the road marking now done the only work I could see along it was landscaping and the creation of one of those areas the police like to park in. There still seems a lot to do to the bit just before the tie in as there is a small section that looks like it has no foundations so maybe they are still working on the drainage on that bit. Talking of drainage I could see some work being done over to the west of the new junction & there were some new signs saying environment agency so i'm assuming this is the new drainage scheme we discussed last week.

Dave
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Repmobile wrote:
Further south on the A1(M) northbound carriageway approaching J49 at Dishforth, one of the overhead signs was telling all traffic to come off the A1(M) at J49 and to use the A168, with the next overhead sign saying the A168 was closed and to use the A1(M) northbound! So a lot of traffic was dithering somewhat, not sure which route to use (the A168 was open and clear by the way).
Yes I saw that. As it happened I knew what the plan actually was and the BBC traffic messages giving the full diversion route were frequent and clear or chaos might have reigned. I followed the A19 all the way to the Tees Viaduct before turning onto the A66 and the traffic flowed nicely all the way.
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

Been for a ride up the A1 this morning, a couple of things have changed in the last week or so.

Firstly a lot more of the blacktop has been laid both north and south of the Catterick North junction on what will be the new northbound carriageway. It looks almost ready to use (lines painted and cats eyes fitted) for a fair distance leading upto Scotch Corner.

It looks like work is shortly to start on the roundabout under J56 at Barton. The carriageway around the roundabout has been reduced to one lane only by cones and temporary barrier. I am not exactly sure what they are going to do with the roadabout, but no doubt we will find out eventually.

From what I saw on Friday afternoon, the contractors really do need to sort out the phasing of the traffic lights at the top of the Scotch Corner slip roads, particularly the northbound off slip. Traffic was tailed well back onto the mainline on Friday afternoon, held by a red light with absolutely nothing going round the junction which had a green light for an extraordinary amount of time.

Pete