A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by wrinkly »

The first structure is in evidence.

A wall of precast concrete panels ("reinforced earth") is growing up close to the west side of A1 near Catterick racecourse and is already several rows high. It must be the east abutment of the bridge of Catterick Central interchange.

My prediction that they'd want to make an early start on the bridge is confirmed.
Matt_EA_A14

Post by Matt_EA_A14 »

Keiji wrote:
Matt_EA_A14 wrote:I especially liked the ambitious message on the portable matrix signs: "UPGRADING TO MOTORWAY"!
Would anyone in the area be able to share a photo of this sign?
Here is an image I took on Saturday travelling southbound just south of Scotch Corner:
File:A1_southbound_Upgrading_To_Motorway_matrix.jpg
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I hate it when people post stuff like that and blame 'autocorrect', forgetting that they (rather than their chosen piece of technology) are in charge of what gets posted.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Keiji

Post by Keiji »

Matt_EA_A14 wrote:
Keiji wrote:
Matt_EA_A14 wrote:I especially liked the ambitious message on the portable matrix signs: "UPGRADING TO MOTORWAY"!
Would anyone in the area be able to share a photo of this sign?
Here is an image I took on Saturday travelling southbound just south of Scotch Corner:
File:A1_southbound_Upgrading_To_Motorway_matrix.jpg
Aha, thank you... for some reason I missed the word "portable" and thought it was being displayed on a permanent VMS sign... not that non-motorways are equipped with many of those in the first place!!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

j033y

Post by j033y »

Catterick North junction (southbound slip road) will be closed permanently from Saturday 12th July
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

j033y wrote:Catterick North junction (southbound slip road) will be closed permanently from Saturday 12th July
That's the on slip. The southbound off slip remains open for the present as far as I know.
Jaggzuk

Post by Jaggzuk »

Drove South yesterday, after a holiday in Northumberland, and I noticed the Institute of Civil Engineers have placed some banners on a number of over-bridges which say "This is Civil Engineering".
mehere

Post by mehere »

Hi guys aplogies for my delirious post the other night.
Im not too well and am taking medication to help me sleep.
Turns out a side effect is sleep texting.....
Anyway the jist of my question is this.
Does anyone please have a link to the Aidkew Bedale leeming bypass scheme.
When is it due to start and where will it run from and to?.
Also coming off the sliproad at Leeming going nortb (Ive just moved up to the Dales from nr the A161). Ive noticed the new roadworks for the A1M.
Indeed wgen I get time I have photos to upload when I last went to Scotland.
Anyway I notice off the roundabout ,heading north nr tge farm looks like tgeybare buildimg a new LAR heading toward the site compund that I recall being there when they built Dishforth-Leeming.
Is this an Lar and if so it looks advanced enough to be open before long at least for a short distance.
Or is it related to the compound.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The last I heard the BALB bypass was due to start in the autumn and NYCC were appointing a contractor. A quick web search finds a report to the council dated February listing five tenders and recommending one. That was a very quick search, there may be other more recent documents to be found.

The route is the same as it's always been. From a new roundabout on the A684 NW of Bedale near the golf club, NEwards over the railway and Bedale Beck, to the west roundabout of the A1(M) junction. Then from the east roundabout of the A1(M) junction, as a northward realignment of the existing link road, to a realigned version of the existing roundabout at Leases Road. Then eastward over the railway to a new roundabout on the A684 east of Leeming Bar. There's a map at the end of this. Again that's the result of a quick search, there may be more helpful versions elsewhere.

Yes there is an LAR being built northwards from the west roundabout at Leeming Bar, and part of it is in use as an access road to the site compound, replacing the old road, as I remarked on here a couple of weeks ago. A greater length of it is due to open before the end of the year to take traffic to local farms off the A1, but it will then remain a dead end for quite a while before connecting to Catterick.
mehere

Post by mehere »

wrinkly wrote:The last I heard the BALB bypass was due to start in the autumn and NYCC were appointing a contractor. A quick web search finds a report to the council dated February listing five tenders and recommending one. That was a very quick search, there may be other more recent documents to be found.

The route is the same as it's always been. From a new roundabout on the A684 NW of Bedale near the golf club, NEwards over the railway and Bedale Beck, to the west roundabout of the A1(M) junction. Then from the east roundabout of the A1(M) junction, as a northward realignment of the existing link road, to a realigned version of the existing roundabout at Leases Road. Then eastward over the railway to a new roundabout on the A684 east of Leeming Bar. There's a map at the end of this. Again that's the result of a quick search, there may be more helpful versions elsewhere.

Yes there is an LAR being built northwards from the west roundabout at Leeming Bar, and part of it is in use as an access road to the site compound, replacing the old road, as I remarked on here a couple of weeks ago. A greater length of it is due to open before the end of the year to take traffic to local farms off the A1, but it will then remain a dead end for quite a while before connecting to Catterick.
Thank you very much Wrinkly :).
Much appreciated..
Jon
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

I travelled up the A1/A1(M)from London today.

I see there are signs advising of an overnight closure starting at 2000hrs tonight from J50 (Baldersby) to 'The A66' which I take to be Scotch Corner (or it could be the other end of the A1/A66 Multiplex at the Darlington Spur)? It's not exactly clear on the temporary signs to be honest.

I thought if they were going to close it Northbound they would have closed it from Dishforth (J49) and put all Northbound traffic onto the A168/A19 (as they usually do when there is an RTC etc on the A1 in the Leeming/Catterick area) as opposed to taking the traffic off at J50 and routing it A61 towards Thirsk then A167 through Northallerton to Darlington.

I did notice that some temporary diversion signs (using an 'X' symbol') have appeared on the B1263 from Brompton on Swale taking, I believe, southbound traffic away from the A1 (although I am not exactly sure how traffic will get there if the A1 is shut Southbound from the A66!!).

Mind you there are still signs out warning of queuing traffic for 'Le Tour de France Grand Depart' on the 5th July!!!

Pete
RoadHog

Post by RoadHog »

Repmobile wrote:
Mind you there are still signs out warning of queuing traffic for 'Le Tour de France Grand Depart' on the 5th July!!!

Pete
Probably going to remove them when the closure is in place.

There is a clickable diversion map on the Highways Agency web page for this scheme which shows where the "X" goes to(last diversion it was a hollow triangle). Looking at it, it appears the "X" symbol is the diversion north to the A1 (via A19/A689) or A6136 (via Richmond) to the A1/A66 (if your coming from Catterick).
SC2

Post by SC2 »

Jaggzuk wrote:Drove South yesterday, after a holiday in Northumberland, and I noticed the Institute of Civil Engineers have placed some banners on a number of over-bridges which say "This is Civil Engineering".
It seems to be an awareness campaign: http://www.ice.org.uk/What-is-civil-eng ... ngineering
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

New camera on northbound side just south of Scotch Corner caused a bit of excitement this evening not to mention some sudden braking before everyone saw the "Camera not in use sign"!
Repmobile

Post by Repmobile »

With the 'Catterick North' Southbound On-slip now closed,there is quite a diversion in place for anyone wishing to head south.

It basically involves driving on the Northbound A1 to Scotch Corner (A66) then going around the junction roundabout before joining the southbound A1 carriageway. Bearing in mind there are now narrow lanes and a 50mph SPECS enforced speed limit more or less from Scotch Corner all the way down to Leeming Bar, the diversion/speed limit does add a bit of time to the journey.

Its easier to drive south through Catterick Village and join the A1 Southbound at the 'Catterick South (Marne Barracks)' junction and just put up with the 50mph limit from there to Leeming Bar.

Its quite amazing just how much work on the upgrade has been carried out so far. I don't recall work on the Leeming to Dishforth upgrade moving as fast as this one seems to be doing. If they keep up this pace it could conceivably be finished before the advertised 'Spring 2017' opening date.

Pete
yiumingly

Post by yiumingly »

Mikeg wrote:New camera on northbound side just south of Scotch Corner caused a bit of excitement this evening not to mention some sudden braking before everyone saw the "Camera not in use sign"!
I noticed this last night going A1 Northbound just before Scotch Corner at the Shell Garage on the right there is a new camera. I didn't see the not in use sign but has baffled me as there was no mention or prior warning of it. Not sure if it has anything to do with the overnight closures on 12th and 19th July but wonder if it will be on as a fair few cars were ignoring it or not knowing the camera was there.

Any ideas?
Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

yiumingly wrote:
Mikeg wrote:New camera on northbound side just south of Scotch Corner caused a bit of excitement this evening not to mention some sudden braking before everyone saw the "Camera not in use sign"!
I noticed this last night going A1 Northbound just before Scotch Corner at the Shell Garage on the right there is a new camera. I didn't see the not in use sign but has baffled me as there was no mention or prior warning of it. Not sure if it has anything to do with the overnight closures on 12th and 19th July but wonder if it will be on as a fair few cars were ignoring it or not knowing the camera was there.

Any ideas?
It's not in use yet, probably will be after this weekends closure. All the signs are up but covered over.
yiumingly

Post by yiumingly »

Mikeg wrote:
yiumingly wrote:

Any ideas?
It's not in use yet, probably will be after this weekends closure. All the signs are up but covered over.
Thanks Mikeg, that's my thought they will be on after this weekends closures. It had me worried for a bit.
yiumingly

Post by yiumingly »

Mikeg wrote:
yiumingly wrote:

Any ideas?
Confirmed now that restrictions extended on A1 Northbound to Scotch Corner with effect from 19th July.

Date Duration Details Allow an Extra
02/05/14 to 31/03/2017 24 hours A1 Northbound between Junction 51 (Leeming) and Catterick North junction (Extended to Scotch Corner from 19 July 2014) - 50mph speed limit with Average Speed Camera detection and narrow lanes in various locations 5 mins