New B road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

skiddaw05

New B road

Post by skiddaw05 »

I brought the subject up here a while ago. Anyway it has now been christened

(drum roll)

the B1535 - and it runs between Honingham and Lenwade

I quite like the number actually :) Pity the road itself isn't much more than some C roads bodged together.

Anyway does someone knowledgeable need to add this to the wiki?
fras

Re: New B road

Post by fras »

Why bother, was my first thinking. However if a lot of people are using the route it does seem to have some sense if it keeps people on the "right road" and not getting lost and clogging up other, narrower, roads. Does this sort of thing feed into satnavs ?
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

I seem to remember Norfolk declassifying a number of B-roads a few years ago, especially in the North-East of the county around Mundesley.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Curiously the OS map, on Sabre maps, shows it as being the B1147.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Blimey, so it does! Well as far as I know the B1147 is still Dereham to Bawdeswell via Swanton Morley. The B1535 is signed on the A47 at Honingham (which I saw today, which prompted the post), and presumably at the other end on the A1067, and I should be going along there next week so I can find out.

The route on the OS map shown as the B1147 is definitely the one for the new B road, and it's as unappealing on the ground as it appears on the map!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

skiddaw05 wrote:Anyway does someone knowledgeable need to add this to the wiki?
You could have a go yourself - there's a guide on how to do it at Help:Wiki Guides/Roads
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Help :

REDIRECTHelp:Contents

... Read More
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

So if it was the B1147, why go to the trouble of renumbering it as B1535?
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Big Nick wrote:So if it was the B1147, why go to the trouble of renumbering it as B1535?
It wasn't the B1147, that's a different route further to the west. It looks like a mistake on the OS 1:25k when they've recently changed it from unclassified to B-road, because other scales still show it as unclassified.
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Stevie D wrote:
Big Nick wrote:So if it was the B1147, why go to the trouble of renumbering it as B1535?
It wasn't the B1147, that's a different route further to the west. It looks like a mistake on the OS 1:25k when they've recently changed it from unclassified to B-road, because other scales still show it as unclassified.
It seems, if the OS is correct, that the old B1147 has been downgraded and replaced with this new B-road. Mistake, quite possibly, but other B-roads - like the B1140 east of Norwich - have been completely rerouted whilst having their number kept in the same area. In fact the B1140 situation is altogether odd as there is a short section left at the Norwich end now completely unconnected with a radically re-routed bulk further east.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

fras wrote:Why bother, was my first thinking. However if a lot of people are using the route it does seem to have some sense if it keeps people on the "right road" and not getting lost and clogging up other, narrower, roads. Does this sort of thing feed into satnavs ?
Government funding for local authorities maintenance is based on "A", "B" and "C" road length with more money given to roads higher up the categories and inspection regimes are greater for higher classified roads. In Reading the reason I brought in C roads in 2007 was a) for Development Control purposes and b) to obtain more funding.

If it is a well used route making it a B road will increase its inspection routine and likely maintenance funding levels.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Interesting. I did a little work on the Honingham roundabout during my time in Area 6. I remember there was some confusion whether this road had a number (which it didn't - it was indeed an OS misprint) but I'm glad to see that it now has :)
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

It almost has a number - the number has been allocated but it will only take on that number once the signing is complete. It seems the HA were ahead of the game with their sign on the A47 as the doessn't appear to be any on the route yet or at the other end, but hopefully this will happen pretty soon. Then I might try and update the wiki!
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Latest on this is that the B1147 is no more - it has ceased to be etc.... NCC have taken the high tech approach of taping over any references to the B1147 on their signs. (Yet to see if it's still on HE's signs on the A47)

The 'new' B road will still be numbered the B1535 (and not the B1147 because switching the number from one road to another could 'confuse the locals' - a bit like falling off a log, admittedly). This is a shame as the B1147 number fits in much better locally.
vlad

Post by vlad »

skiddaw05 wrote:Anyway does someone knowledgeable need to add this to the wiki?
Way ahead of you. :)
B1535
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath

From the SABRE Wiki: B1535 :

The B1535 is a rural B-road in central Norfolk. The road was unclassified for many years, finally getting its number following an upgrade in 2015, as shown in this SABRE discussion.

The road starts on the A47 Honingham bypass and heads north along Wood Lane. At Fran's Green it bears left then right to pass to the west of the former RAF Attlebridge;

... Read More