Self-enforcing 20 mph limits

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mediaman_12

Post by Mediaman_12 »

kieron wrote:
Richard Walker wrote:
DavidBrown wrote:The only problem with chicanes is that thay take up road space
Surely that's the point? I thought the point of 'traffic calming' was to slow cars down, not to reduce congestion.
Humps slow traffic down. Chicanes often stop it altogether. This means that there are more people who are sufficiently inconvenienced by the latter to complain about it, and that the one in Northop Hall only lasted a few months before the council dug it up and put a few speed bumps in its place.
How on earth did they manage to convince them to do that? At least that was on a B road, Warrington MBC thinks chicanes are the best way to 'calm' traffic on a A road, which is also one on the main routes between the motorway and an adjoining town.
I am referring to the pair in Lower Stretton on the A559, they hold me up EVERY day, I wish they would do away with them, a speed cam would be just as effective at slowing people down through the village.
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

flyingscot wrote:Glasgows '20 when lights flash' signs are good, however they are shoddily implemented so legallity of some (Berryknownes Road) is dubious. However they are worthless without inforcement.
You see them flashing too often when there are no schoolchildren around, often only one set flashing which confirms that it is not intentional.

I think they need a loud bleeper and large flashing light somewhere in the school to show they are switched on. This would not stop until all the 20mph lights have been turned off.

MB
kieron

Post by kieron »

Mediaman_12 wrote:How on earth did they manage to convince them to do that?
I'm not exactly sure. That bit of the road is quite busy, so that almost every vehicle had to stop there during the day. This fed through to Wepre Lane, the unclassified road at the top of the map in my link. This road happens to be too narrow for two cars to pass at several points, and so doesn't flow too well if half a dozen vehicles try to join it at once.

There was apparently a petition drawn up about it (mentioned in this article), and they were removed.

However, you could get quite a few signatures just by asking people in Northop Hall, whereas your road looks quite rural.