Expressway Speed Limits

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

On expressways the speed limit should be:-

50mph or less
No votes
55mph
6%
60mph
6%
65mph
No votes
70mph
18%
75mph
3%
80mph
15%
85mph or more (inc. no limit)
6%
Depends in the road, really
35%
Varable speed limit
12%

Total votes: 34

Gavin A74

Expressway Speed Limits

Post by Gavin A74 »

We've had a poll on motorway speed limits so why not on expressways.

Personally, I'd favour a 75mph speed limit on expressways.
PeterA5145

Re: Expressway Speed Limits

Post by PeterA5145 »

Gavin A74 wrote:We've had a poll on motorway speed limits so why not on expressways.

Personally, I'd favour a 75mph speed limit on expressways.
I sort of know what you mean (i.e. high-standard, grade-separated, dualled non-motorway roads) but the term "Expressway" doesn't have any official standing in the UK, and the Runcorn Expressways (which are urban GSJ'd roads) don't really fit the bill.

In my view a lot of the roads in this question should ideally be upgraded to motorway and the cyclists and tractors removed.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I put "depends on the road".

Because there could be a high quality three-lane GSed expressway getting traffic from a motorway, through fields and countryside then into a City Centre, passing churches and recreation fields and ending on a set of traffic lights in the middle of a city.

At the rural end of the road, then 60mph+ would be great, speeding traffic in and out, but at the urban end, maybe 40mph or even the dreaded 30 :twisted:
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

The A38 between Exeter and Plymouth is officially caled the 'Devon Expessway'. I would personally favour a variable speed limit, as you never know what this road's going to be like! It can be dead quiet at times, or it can be very, very busy for its whole length. There are also major roadworks starting today which will mean a contraflow for 6 months near Ashburton. Queues of up to 5 miles have already been predicted, and a variable limit would be great depending on the length of the queue.
Of course, there is another option (cough--extend M5--cough)!
Richard Walker

Post by Richard Walker »

If the road is high grade dual carriageway it should be the same as a motorway anyway.
I will not sing the chain-gang song, I will not walk the line.