M6 Lancaster Bypass Junction 34

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ian001

M6 Lancaster Bypass Junction 34

Post by ian001 »

I have come across 3 different histories for why junction 34 of the M6 onto the A683 just east of Lancaster was built, it being one of the most dangerous junctions on the motorway system:-

1. As an access for emergancy vehicles.

2. As a works unit junction for a nearby Power Station (since demolised)

3. As a temperary junction, a perment junction being built about 2 miles north near Slyne.

Can anybody shed any light on these?
http://www.route6.co.uk the A6 & M6 Website
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

The first is the one I've heard most frequently, and so to quote CBRD
When this section of the M6 was built and opened, there was a junction at either end of the Lancaster Bypass to access the town, but these were 11 miles apart and each missed the town itself by about 6 miles. Lancashire County Council was worried that emergency vehicles would be unable to reach the M6 quickly enough because of the long round trip involved, and paid for a set of gated access roads from the A683 to be built for emergency services to use. Because these were "works access" points, they were designed well below standards. When it became clear that Lancaster needed a junction nearer the town centre, the emergency access point was signed as a full junction, the gates removed, and junction 34 as we know it came into being.
But, of course, I'm not saying that is exactly what happened.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: M6 Lancaster Bypass Junction 34

Post by Steven »

ian001 wrote:1. As an access for emergancy vehicles.
This is extremely likely - the access does appear to have been in existence when the bypass opened - therefore this is possible.
Don't know about this one.
3. As a temperary junction, a perment junction being built about 2 miles north near Slyne.
Quite possibly. There is mention in the Lancashire Archives of a Morecambe Link from the bypass - which your description sounds very similar to.

This first turns up as an all-purpose route in the 1940s, and still gets mentioned in NWRCU documentation in the 1970s, though it never seems to make it near to being built.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Steven wrote:
ian001 wrote:
Don't know about this one.
There's a nucelar plant at the docks at Heysham..... that's probably the nearby one that's talked about....

Regards
Chris
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ian001

Post by ian001 »

c2R wrote:
Steven wrote:
ian001 wrote: Don't know about this one.
There's a nucelar plant at the docks at Heysham..... that's probably the nearby one that's talked about....

Regards
Chris
There is a nuclear power station at Heysham about 6 miles away however there was one which was dimolished lively in the 1970's just west of the junction roughly on thee site of the presentb Holiday Inn

Regards

Ian
http://www.route6.co.uk the A6 & M6 Website
Roadtripper_Ian

Post by Roadtripper_Ian »

When they built the new A689 to Heysham the terminal roundabout on the A589 points the way to the projected extension. My scribbling had it running to the north of Slyne then a choice of a junction either north or south of the Lune.
"I don't make the rules, ma'am, I just make them up and write them down"
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

On my map that's the A683. Either way it's out of zone being west of the A6.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Roadtripper_Ian

Post by Roadtripper_Ian »

ForestChav wrote:On my map that's the A683. Either way it's out of zone being west of the A6.
Yeah, that too...... :oops:
"I don't make the rules, ma'am, I just make them up and write them down"