Photo of the month - February 2010

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

POTM - February 2010

Poll ended at Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:59

The A41 Tring Bypass.
16%
Junction 4 M66 South
No votes
The Pont de Cheviere at Nantes
9%
A282 Dartford
47%
A30 West Okehampton bypass
28%

Total votes: 32

Matthew

Photo of the month - February 2010

Post by Matthew »

Apologies for the delay this month.

The gallery for submissions is http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/t ... ?album=775

And we'll leave it open until 12:00 Friday.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Jeni
Banned

Re: Photo of the month - February 2010 (submissions open)

Post by Jeni »

I think what Matthew was supposed to say was that the gallery is here :) (Coppermine doesn't accept new uploads)

The new instructions for the wiki, as taken from Photo of the Month:
Nominations for February 2010 are currently open. To nominate a picture, you can either upload a new picture or use an existing one that is in any existing gallery on the wiki.

Nominating a new picture
Go to the upload form. You will be prompted to enter information about your picture, and a choice of galleries to add it to. To ensure your picture is included in the nominations, the option against "Photo of the Month February 2010" must be checked. This option can be found on the "common galleries" tab on the far left of the gallery choices.

Nominating an existing picture
To nominating an existing picture, you will need to find it (possibly by using the search page, and then edit it (by clicking on "Edit" at the top menu. You will see some blank parameters at the bottom similar to the following:

|gallery1 =
|gallery2 =
|gallery3 =

You should change one of these parameters to eg: |gallery1=Photo of the Month February 2010.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Two questions :

1) How would I easily find this page from the front page of the "Gallery" link on the wiki? The best I could find was Gallery:Photo of the Month, but that contains no images, presumably because it's actually Gallery:Photo of the Month February 2010 that I want to look at. Could we either set up the "Photo of the Month" gallery to be a "container" like Gallery:Pre-Worboys, or redirect it to the "Februrary 2010". We need this to be as obvious and as easy to use as we can possibly get it.

2) Why has a two year old photo of the M60 in the "Photo Of The Month" been nominated? Is this correct, or a mistake?
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Ritchie333 wrote:1) How would I easily find this page from the front page of the "Gallery" link on the wiki? The best I could find was Gallery:Photo of the Month, but that contains no images, presumably because it's actually Gallery:Photo of the Month February 2010 that I want to look at. Could we either set up the "Photo of the Month" gallery to be a "container" like Gallery:Pre-Worboys, or redirect it to the "Februrary 2010". We need this to be as obvious and as easy to use as we can possibly get it.
Done (just for this month). I'll do the previous months as and when the appropriate galleries get transferred
Ritchie333 wrote:2) Why has a two year old photo of the M60 in the "Photo Of The Month" been nominated? Is this correct, or a mistake?
I nominated it :)
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I tried to upload a picture but it disappeared. At the moment it seems the M60 picture will win by default.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Truvelo wrote:I tried to upload a picture but it disappeared. At the moment it seems the M60 picture will win by default.
It has been uploaded at File:Potm.jpg, but there were no categories? Did you select them on the upload form?
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Truvelo wrote:I tried to upload a picture but it disappeared.
Did you put a check against "Photo Of The Month February 2010" when you uploaded it? If you don't do that it doesn't know which gallery to include it to (though I agree it would be nice to have an "Upload to the gallery I'm looking at right now" button).

I've moved into the correct gallery.
--
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Ritchie333 wrote:though I agree it would be nice to have an "Upload to the gallery I'm looking at right now" button
Good idea! *puts on todo list* (albeit a lowish priority)
Burns

Post by Burns »

Just like to say thanks to everyone who voted for my photo last month, it was really appreciated.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Unfortunately when I tried to upload the URL of the picture I wanted of the Tring Bypass, when I came to type it in again on the second page, I accidently uploading a different image of the Tring Bypass and I cannot edit it (or don't know how to at least!).
Matthew

Re: Photo of the month - February 2010 (voting now open)

Post by Matthew »

The gallery is now closed and you can cast your vote over the four submitted pictures.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Matthew wrote:The gallery is now closed and you can cast your vote over the four submitted pictures.
Has "A30 - Way Out West Okehampton bypass, looking west. Sept 2007" been disqualified then? :?
--
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Ritchie333 wrote:
Matthew wrote:The gallery is now closed and you can cast your vote over the four submitted pictures.
Has "A30 - Way Out West Okehampton bypass, looking west. Sept 2007" been disqualified then? :?
Upload time was 12:57 - think I just about got it in on time. I know it says 12:00 up above but the gallery wasn't declared closed until AFTER I uploaded AFAIK.
Last edited by M5Lenzar on Fri Jan 29, 2010 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Can you remind us of the URL to save people having to search higher up in the thread?

Also it would be useful to know who submitted the pictures, as was always stated in the past.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

PeterA5145 wrote:Can you remind us of the URL to save people having to search higher up in the thread?
http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... ruary_2010

If you browse to the wiki, and click on the "Gallery" left hand menu option, you'll see "Photo of the month" as one of the options in the main gallery area that appears.
--
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Well I had no idea there was a late submission.

Seeing as no one has yet to vote, I've included it.

And as for the URL - good point. Though Ritchie has already pointed it out.

Ta! :)
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Despite uploading a different image from the one I intended, I'm still proud that I managed to finish third in the poll (even out of only five!!!)
Beardy5632

Re: Photo of the month - February 2010

Post by Beardy5632 »

No worries, I thought I was going to be bottom of it, so I'm happy I finished 4th with mine. :mrgreen:
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Matthew

Re: Photo of the month - February 2010

Post by Matthew »

Apologies... didn't realise this was still down as a sticky. Now amended.