Photo Of The Month - April 2010

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

POTM - April 2010

Poll ended at Thu Apr 01, 2010 16:16

Rileyrob - B719 crossing the A74(M)
6%
Sabrista - Burdock Way
33%
Jeni - Blunsdon Bypass
17%
Truvelo - M6 J37
44%

Total votes: 52

Matthew

Photo Of The Month - April 2010

Post by Matthew »

Another month and another POTM.

Please submit your pictures here...

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... April_2010

Submissions open until Saturday at 23:59, with voting thereafter.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Jeni
Banned

Re: Photo Of The Month - April 2010

Post by Jeni »

Can I ask for some clarification please?

If you nominate someone else's picture, can you still nominate one of your own? Is the rule one nomination per photographer, or one nomination per nominator?

Personally, if we haven't clarified this before, I feel that it should be one nomination per photographer, regardless of who nominated it.

Also, Matthew, I think in previous months, the POTM threads have been global stickys?
Matthew

Re: Photo Of The Month - April 2010

Post by Matthew »

Good point about the global thread. Thanks for that. Now sorted.

In terms of the other point I'm happy to be challenged over this, however I would prefer that you can submit only one picture regardless of whether you took it or not.

Of course if you are submitting someone else's picture one would hope you have sought permission from the originator in the first place.
Matthew

Re: Photo Of The Month - April 2010 (Voting now open)

Post by Matthew »

Voting is now open on the pictures until the 1st April.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

After consulatation with Jeni, I'd like to point out that she did not take the photo but it comes from a Brian Robert Marshall. Apologies for any oversight.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Matthew wrote:After consulatation with Jeni, I'd like to point out that she did not take the photo but it comes from a Brian Robert Marshall. Apologies for any oversight.
I think this should be mentioned at the top, along with a message that this Brian Marshall isn't a SABRE member. Just to clarify things. :)
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

You've already covered it Lenzar so that's good enough for me. I did consider doing this at the time but 3 votes had been cast by then anyway.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

More wiki uploading problems ...

The first upload I forgot to specify that I wanted the image in POTM April 2010 (I unfortunately put it in March 2010), for some reason it wouldn't save my changes when I edited it for whatever reason. It stated I could try to log back in and try again, but that didn't work. It's why there is an image in the gallery March 2010 that wasn't part of the voting.
As I couldn't delete the original upload, I tried uploading a second time, but after it reminded me I had already uploaded it, I got this:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/sabreroa/public_html/tools/upload/magic_upload_post.php on line 26: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/sabreroa/public_html/tools/upload/magic_upload.php on line 44: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3497)

Anyone here know what went wrong? :? And when the PG upload will be back up again? :x

Thanks for making Wiki Upload easier to use. :D
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Hmm.

Good as the two more square ones are, I think that a landscape matches the scale of the banner better.

I like very much the idea of the B7076 one but the image quality isn't as good as the M6 one - again, a nice photo, but is snow in April seasonal?
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

ForestChav wrote:I like very much the idea of the B7076 one but the image quality isn't as good as the M6 one - again, a nice photo, but is snow in April seasonal?
Yes, it was a stunning view when I spun the car round to go back and get the photo, but despite taking half a dozen shots with different settings, and then playing about in photoshop, thats the best I could do. I thought I'd give it a try all the same though! :)
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

I think the M6 photo, good as it is, is too similar to the current POTM. I went for Burdock Way.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Since the Coppermine gallery was closed to new uploads there's been very few entries in POTM's. The last few months have seen 4 or 5 whereas there used to be around 10. Are people finding it difficult to upload to the wiki or has POTM lost its sparkle? Considering how many active members there are the number of votes is very small. In theory there should be over 100 votes each month.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Truvelo wrote:Since the Coppermine gallery was closed to new uploads there's been very few entries in POTM's. The last few months have seen 4 or 5 whereas there used to be around 10. Are people finding it difficult to upload to the wiki or has POTM lost its sparkle?
The Wiki is definately not user friendly; I tried to upload a photo this month but the latest month is never on the list, and when I try to upload it writing the latest month, word by word, with exactly the same characters, it never works. I have accidently put the image I want here in the March POTM. Why was coppermine upload closed?
sgill77

Post by sgill77 »

Paspie wrote:Why was coppermine upload closed?
Short answer: because having to back up three separate parts of SABRE (forums, gallery, wiki) was becoming unwieldy, especially when the wiki had its own gallery for images in the wiki. Including any SABRE image in the wiki is now theoretically simpler, and the backup process is simpler.

However, I agree that since the Coppermine gallery was closed there have been far fewer PoTM entries. Is it possible for one of the tech bods to create some kind of fully automated uploader thingy (see, I'm being technical) so that PoTM submissions are much simpler?
Respice, Aspice, Prospice

Blog : Road photos : Musician -- Facebook : Twitter
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

sgill77 wrote:Is it possible for one of the tech bods to create some kind of fully automated uploader thingy (see, I'm being technical) so that PoTM submissions are much simpler?
It already is fully automated! It's just a case of uploading as normal and selecting the POTM gallery!
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Jeni wrote:
sgill77 wrote:Is it possible for one of the tech bods to create some kind of fully automated uploader thingy (see, I'm being technical) so that PoTM submissions are much simpler?
It already is fully automated! It's just a case of uploading as normal and selecting the POTM gallery!
Yes, but in the long list of galleries it shows the old POTM!
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Paspie wrote:
Jeni wrote:
Yes, but in the long list of galleries it shows the old POTM!
Hmm

http://i40.tinypic.com/33paao9.jpg
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

With no offence to anyone, but that screen seems very cluttered and confusing.Much preferred the old Coppermine uploader with drop down categories and menus.

Keep up the good work on the Wiki.....

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Brenley Corner wrote:With no offence to anyone, but that screen seems very cluttered and confusing.Much preferred the old Coppermine uploader with drop down categories and menus.
But Coppermine only allowed you to upload each photo to one gallery. I think you'd struggle to find any other way which allows photos to be uploaded to multiple galleries.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Brenley Corner wrote:
With no offence to anyone, but that screen seems very cluttered and confusing.Much preferred the old Coppermine uploader with drop down categories and menus.

Keep up the good work on the Wiki.....

Tony
Other than the single-gallery coppermine limitation, I suppose they could (assuming there is sufficient know how and MW does allow it) to shrink the category lists under \/s so you click it and it expands... some sites do this, not sure if MW will let us.