Photo of the Month - November 2010 - Vote Now!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Photo of the Month - November 2010

Poll ended at Sat Oct 30, 2010 22:08

West India Docks drawbridge on the A1206 - Sunil of Yoxley
14%
A windswept junction near Malin Head, Ireland - nowster
14%
M55 towards J1 at Broughton - ScottB5411
7%
I-25 I-40 junction Albuquerque, NM - Truvelo
5%
"Temporary" terminus at the northern end of the M23 - Brenley Corner
11%
The Cenotaph in London, on Whitehall - Bryn666
14%
The ring road for the isle of Kerrera - Erath
5%
The Tay Road Bridge from above - Burns
25%
M20 at Night - Sabrista
4%

Total votes: 56

jcpren

Photo of the Month - November 2010 - Vote Now!

Post by jcpren »

Hi folks,

It's time to select your favourite photo from this month's entries. Please have a look at the Photo of the Month November 2010 Gallery, and place your vote. The winning photo will be displayed on the SABRE front page and in the banner during November.

The poll will run until around 10:05pm on Saturday 30 October.
John
Truvelo

Re: Photo of the Month - November 2010 - Vote Now!

Post by Truvelo »

Mine is in last place with nil points. This is definitely the last time I will submit a foreign picture :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Truvelo wrote:Mine is in last place with nil points. This is definitely the last time I will submit a foreign picture :@
And, once again, the lead picture is one that works least well as a banner...
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Truvelo wrote:Mine is in last place with nil points. This is definitely the last time I will submit a foreign picture :@
IMO it's a good picture that would make a good banner, but I feel that the banner should be a British or Irish road (I've had this argument before though...)
si404

Post by si404 »

I very nearly voted for it, and looking again, I would change my vote if I could to it, as is the most banner-able photo, is a good photo to boot and isn't one of those rural ones we had a lot of in the summer (while there is some foliage, most of the green is the sign).
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

You got my vote, works best as a banner...

Closely followed by Serena's picture...

Perhaps we need to look at having a second transferable vote ? :stir:
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Nic

Post by Nic »

Having driven along the Cherohala Skyway a couple of weeks ago, its a great road, reaching an altitude of over 5000 feet, so nice autumnal trees colors, but then I found I hadn't actually taken a good one with a road in. Otherwise I would have entered myself a foreign road...

Something like this.
Nic
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

Nic wrote:Something like this.
Roads that dreams are made of ! I really need to find a job in a country that actually still builds roads !
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Haydn1971 wrote:
Nic wrote:Something like this.
Roads that dreams are made of ! I really need to find a job in a country that actually still builds roads !
You can say that again. Proper freeflow GSJ's, filter lanes, permissive right turns on red....

What do we have - M40 J10, pah :bang:

Time for a H1B visa methinks.
nowster wrote:And, once again, the lead picture is one that works least well as a banner...
There's two ways around it. Either crop it like the top picture or squash it like the bottom picture. The second picture doesn't look too distorted other than the vehicles on the bridge look a bit flat :)

It might be something worth considering if future winning pictures don't fit the banner in their correct aspect ratio.

Big and complex.
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

Banner pictures are always cropped vertically to some extent, and occasionally I employ additional tricks to get the best out of what's left. In the past, I've added an extra black area at the (completely black) left-hand side of a picture before applying the fade, so that it didn't remove any of the detail further in. I've done something similar with a reproducible foliage pattern in another picture, and this month, I reduced the overall width of the banner to accommodate the full bridge height.

I'm not generally a fan of distorting aspect ratios by stretching pictures, but I can see how it might be the best option in some circumstances.
John
Kenny1975

Post by Kenny1975 »

If i take a pic or submit one the banner size is on my mind, but then voting for a pic i base it only on the picture and what i like about it.

Rather vote for a pic i really like that maybe troublesome as a banner than vote for one which i don't really like but which would be easier to make a banner.

The full image is displayed on the front page anyways.

I picked the Cenotaph picture mostly because its a good picture and is relvant for Novemeber for those who shouldn't be forgotten.

If it wasn't November next month i'd have picked Donegal nr Malin Head because really love it as a picture, the colours are amazing.
There are more pandas in Scotland than Tory MP's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgrbeat/
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Truvelo wrote: You can say that again. Proper freeflow GSJ's, filter lanes, permissive right turns on red....

What do we have - M40 J10, pah :bang:
Although our major bridges don't tend to collapse at rush hour... and we do road signs far better, what good are GSJs if you can't work your way around them :wink:

There are some good entries this month, though, regardless. 8-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Kenny1975 wrote:If it wasn't November next month i'd have picked Donegal nr Malin Head because really love it as a picture, the colours are amazing.
I'll have to remember to resubmit it in the future.

It was a bright but very windy day.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Bearing in mind our front page, I also vote for pictures as to how they grab me and not how they look as a banner. In fact personally speaking, I tend to be suspicious of pre-altered letterbox format pictures as this looks like trying to influence the voting.

Having said that, some good pictures this month and I'm going to have to give this some consideration.
Burns

Post by Burns »

I'll be honest and say that I never think about the banner when I enter but I don't mind how you alter it (except I'd rather it wasn't squished :wink:). I just post a shot from my collection that I like.

When it comes to voting I just vote for my favourite from the selection and I have voted for a foreign shot in the past - I'd also never vote for my own either.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

As good as Truvelo's photo is I have to echo earlier sentiment - the POTM should be a British or Irish road.

FWIW, I voted M23 J7 - can't we just make the banner at the top a little bigger to avoid the constant fit issues we get?
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

M5Lenzar wrote:can't we just make the banner at the top a little bigger to avoid the constant fit issues we get?
We could, but it would mean pushing more of the real content "below the fold".
John
SC2

Post by SC2 »

M5Lenzar wrote:can't we just make the banner at the top a little bigger to avoid the constant fit issues we get?
You don't want it too big else i reckon it'd look clumsy.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

It seems the current banner is a lot narrower than usual. It only fills about 200 of the 400 horizontal pixels. If future POTM's don't fit the banner than that could be a way of displaying them without any cropping.
Big and complex.
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

This month's winner is Burns' picture of the Tay Road Bridge from above. Congratulations!
John