Jonathan B4027 wrote:
Truvelos map of the Aylesbury bypass isnt far off what was origninally proposed anyway. Its only missing the northern part to the A418.
depends on which version. IIRC (from my day at Bucks CC archives) the options from the early 90s were:
- A418N-A41W northern (could have been very tangental, passing a few miles away, or a lot closer in)
- A41 northern (would cover Oxford-East Coast route via Bicester, plus A41)
- A413S-A41W northern (giving a link to the A413 from the northern bypass, hugging the town's edge)
- A41 southern (least preferred as would do nothing for East Coast route via A418 to Wing)
- A418 western (not liked as didn't meet the A41 dual carriageway)
- A418 eastern (East Coast route could have gone, and probably was going to go, via Thame)
- A41E-A418S northern (northern routes a bit more awkward to fit in + longer, doesn't serve A413, though had that option)
- A418N-A41W southern (the complete job, serving both the A418 and A41 axes)
Then again, I'm not sure whether some of these ideas were taken far, or even are just me filling in option gaps.
A418 to the north was a must do (as it is now, with Milton Keynes and a planned dual carriageway), A41 to the east was likewise, though slightly less important the other radials were optional to serve, but one route to Oxford (via Bicester or Thame) had to be served, southern options were shorter and easier (less stuff in the way, Stoke Mandeville severance from Aylesbury not as bad as if Bierton got cut off) with the bonus of serving the A413.
I think the options put forward were the A418N-A41W tangent, the A41 northern, the A418 eastern and the A418N-A41W southern, with the latter two being the prefered, and the A41W link being a nice to have if the East Coast route went via Thame, but it not being that bad if only the A418 was fully bypassed. It's worth remembering that while the A41 route is shorter, the A418 route (obviously, assuming you upgrade it) is still shorter to M40 j8, from Hunton Bridge, than the M25-M40 combo. Plus it gives a shorter Aylesbury-Oxford route, less new D2 needed than a Bicester option and would probably be quicker than the A4010 for Aylesbury-Handy Cross. Obviously, however it would be useless to remove Amersham-Banbury northwards traffic off the M40.
You could argue that as well as missing off the A418 to the north, Truvelo also adds the A41 to the west. I'm fairly sure that Aylesbury were perfectly happy to settle for the A418 southern option, if money wouldn't allow them to built the three-quarters route. Of course, the main justification of building the bypass (Oxford-East Coast route) went down the pan with the Wing bypass problems and the 90s recession, which killed it. Very little (~10%) of traffic actually goes through Aylesbury, so ideas are much more about distributing traffic nowadays.