Traffic light pads

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DavidNW9

Traffic light pads

Post by DavidNW9 »

I didn't notice when these started going, just that they were gradually replaced by radar detectors. I can't remember the last time I saw one, maybe 15-20 years ago? Until today

This was unearthed on Flickr, and remains as there are no longer either lights there or any traffic going in that direction as the road has been made one way and traffic only enters the road rather than leaving it emptying Coleridge Road onto Crouch End Broadway. It reminds me of the old headrooms left on a few bridges when the roads were made one way and were no longer bothered as no traffic used them. When's the last time you saw one of these, and are there any more knocking around?
Andy33gmail

Re: Traffic light pads

Post by Andy33gmail »

To be fair, if someone's missed the one-way, they're a good candidate for hitting a low bridge
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I'm sure we've discussed these before at some point - a search for the word "pneumatic" brings up some examples.

Here are some I linked to in Streatham

ABE found one on Fleet Street

There also seems to be talk of Newark having quite a lot remaining embedded in the road.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

Thanks Chris, once the obvious search terms raise nothing then it's time for a new thread. I expected traffic light pressure/pad to raise something even if in the replies, but only one regarding questions and answers. I'll have to check out a few of the others next time I'm around there, who knows, there may be some variations.
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

DavidNW9 wrote:I didn't notice when these started going, just that they were gradually replaced by radar detectors

Surely they would originally have been replaced by inductive loops in the roadway? This is the technology still used throughout Australia.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

sydneynick wrote:
DavidNW9 wrote:I didn't notice when these started going, just that they were gradually replaced by radar detectors
Surely they would originally have been replaced by inductive loops in the roadway? This is the technology still used throughout Australia.
In the UK we use a mixture of radar on a few sites and induction loops on most others.
irrelevant

Post by irrelevant »

There's one still hanging in there on Liverpool St in Salford. Looking somewhat tatty now!
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

I've posted one before in Beaufort Road, Kingston-upon-Thames
Chris584

Post by Chris584 »

Interesting to see three different types of pneumatic pressure pads, or vehicle actuating pad if you like. There was at least another type which used two rubber strips but they were closer together than the one illustrated. I recall seeing them only associated with GEC/SGE type of signals, the ones set in the concrete strip seemed to be associated with tin heads.

Incidentally regarding the SGE naming, I thought SGE stood for Siemans General Electric. On the two sets I have the older one is labelled SGE Made In England and the other newer one is marked GEC Elliot Made In England.

Chris
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

They were a somewhat fragile bit of kit, and could be put out of action by :

- High temperatures. The rubber would coil out of them. I presume it wasn't the rubber itself but some other element overexpanded.

- Excavator with caterpillar tracks driving over them.

- Snowplough.

- Concrete dripping from a rotary concrete truck.

- Vandal with penknife.

etc.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I went to Kingston yesterday but unless I was very careless there was nothing there, it may have had a new patch of tarmac where it was as there was an oblong cut out in the exact shape of what it would have covered. Lucky I got the first one and will head to Streatham next as that's a double like the one in my old road (I think) and haven't got that type.
silverfoxcc

Post by silverfoxcc »

Back in the 50's, we found amusement by jumping up and down on the one in Town Road Edmonton so the lights on the main road went red for a while. Then once they went green, bounced up and down again. Created quite a traffic jam even in those days

Kids today haven't lived
Chris584

Post by Chris584 »

I had an uncle and aunt who lived in Town Road in the late 50s early 60s before they altered Edmonton with the shopping centre. I remember the level crossing that was there too. I'm too old for this! :)
boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

Ive posted these before but these live on in Blackpool https://goo.gl/maps/9k6Lx
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

No idea how I missed it last week but glad to say the one in Kingston is still there

That means I've got the single and split ones now, I just need the double row in Streatham I think we had where I used to live.
DavidNW9

Post by DavidNW9 »

I have visited the one in Streatham (a double width for a one way street) and also found one in Croydon.

chris486
Account deactivated at user request

Post by chris486 »

Very local to me Royce Road

There's still a few about - they are easier to spot when cycling, perhaps not surprisingly.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

Here's one I've added to the gallery before
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
Chris584

Post by Chris584 »

Interestingly so far, all the pads shown in this thread are ones I have only ever seen associated with Plessey tin head lights. There is at least another type of pad which has two rubber strips close together. I saw these, among other places, on Green Lanes Harringay (N. London)when the Matchstick Man crossings were installed. They may well still be there under resurfaced roads in the area. Great finds chaps, keep up the observations.

Chris