What are these?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Lonewolf

What are these?

Post by Lonewolf »

I've driven past these so many times and never really paid attention. They are on the edge of the village of Slingsby in Ryedale on the B1257, and while sat in a traffic jam it suddenly occurred to me that I've never seen any others. Anywhere. And I'm a lorry driver. Were they experimental or summat? They do light up at night too. Well one of them does :D :D

Wolfie

FB me!
nowster
Treasurer

Re: What are these?

Post by nowster »

Not uncommon... A few locally.

https://goo.gl/maps/VGW8D9sK7wn (GSV)
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

sevenman96

Post by sevenman96 »

As someone from Lancs living in Cornwall - it appears that they don't have any here although it's something I've only just realised.
Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

There's a couple of these near me. They were installed nearly 10 years ago and the lanterns haven't worked for at least four years.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

You can also get non electric ones too, these on the A48 near Chepstow are big blank white signs. They do their job pretty well though.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
MotorwayPlannerM21

Post by MotorwayPlannerM21 »

Yep, they're everywhere! There are about 8 in close-ish proximity here (plus some modern ones)
"All roads lead to Rome"
What about the M25?

The A205 - The road to... oh wait I should've turned right back there!
Paul

Post by Paul »

There are thousands of them around, though, as we're learning here, not evenly distributed across the country.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Regards,
Paul
CrazyInWeston

Post by CrazyInWeston »

I always thought these things were simple, indicating a crossing. I mean you get similar poles for busy Zebra crossing areas dont you? I thought these are for those with a central island, Zebra or not, that has a lowered kerb for crossing, alerting you of such an area, what else is it for?
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

CrazyInWeston wrote:I always thought these things were simple, indicating a crossing. I mean you get similar poles for busy Zebra crossing areas dont you? I thought these are for those with a central island, Zebra or not, that has a lowered kerb for crossing, alerting you of such an area, what else is it for?
It's to indicate the presence of an island in the carriageway, rather than a crossing point. As you can see from the first picture, there's no crossing at that beacon.
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
CrazyInWeston

Post by CrazyInWeston »

Dougman wrote:It's to indicate the presence of an island in the carriageway, rather than a crossing point. As you can see from the first picture, there's no crossing at that beacon.
So there isnt, thanks.
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

When I used to do a street lighting night scout in the late 80s one of those out of lighting would go down as a CIC, centre island column. I am pretty sure they used to have a sign diagram number in the old TRSGD but I can't find it. They also sit on zebra crossing islands but usually go unnoticed due to the twin yellow globes sitting lower down the post.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

It's just a lamp to mark the traffic island. They're an occasional sight in these parts. A close relative to the belisha beacon but not an actual one (saying such will cause much upset on a forum like this). Kind of like how harvistmen aren't true spiders.

Can't say I've ever seen one in the middle island of a zebra crossing. Usually there's an extra belisa beacon (i.e. a proper one).
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

https://goo.gl/maps/HDQuUapFkAN2
One being used to hang the zebra globes on. I put this one up in the 90s when I put the crossing in, someone else has put the large keep left signs onto the black and white striped area of the post since then which is not strictly allowed.
doebag

Post by doebag »

This one
https://goo.gl/maps/1scmfUpr3C72
On the A605 near Thrapston is not illuminated.Heading north from Thrapston, the traffic island is just over the brow of a hill, so I guess it is to provide a bit of advanced warning to traffic
Duple

Post by Duple »

We have quite a number scattered along the A34.

Interestingly Cheshire East removed all the bulbs about 10 years ago and put up the yellow board type.

Recently they have removed the reflective boards re-lit them with LED bases and classic white plastic heads. I assume the wiring was never removed when they were "blanked". Certainly look pretty at night.

I assume the white plastic heads clip on and are easier to remove when abnormal loads use the route..
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

We have these in Epping Forest. All they do is prevent you from passing a cyclist when the road beyond is clear. Can't even use them for crossing the road as there's no escape path on the forest side.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.69459 ... 6656?hl=en
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.69297 ... 6656?hl=en

These ones at least are useful for marking out the right turn lane - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.63995 ... 6656?hl=en
w0033944

Post by w0033944 »

Here's an example I'm very familiar with on the A140 Ipswich Road as you enter Norwich from the south:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.60332 ... 6656?hl=en
Chris Bell.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Ha ha ha after posting this I drove past a pair yesterday on the A17. Now I've done the A17 millions of times so either they're new....or I just wasn't looking before :paperbag: :oops:
Wolfie

FB me!
sevenman96

Post by sevenman96 »

Actually I have spotted the clear white type above 5 minutes away from me, I had never noticed that either.