Driving from Calais to Nice during Bison Fute Noir!

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

brombeer

Re: Driving from Calais to Nice during Bison Fute Noir!

Post by brombeer »

timbucks wrote:4) There seem to be less toll-booths on the mainlines in the east of the country (it might just be the fact that for the last 4 holidays in France we've headed west and south-west and the queues make them stand out)
I don't think that there is much of a difference. Apart from the stations when entering the toll road, you'll face interruptions or open systems (and thus toll booths on either end) around a few bigger cities only. On the mainline routes to the South, the cities with toll booths on either end are Paris, Tours, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Reims, Lyon, Montpellier, Aix-en-Provence and Nice. That seems a fairly even spread between west and east. The queues might create a different perception. En route from Calais to the South East, you're unlikely to hit any delay caused by a toll station until Lyon. En route from Calais to the South West, the stations at Paris and Tours could create delays much earlier in your route.
5) We picked a ticket up from a machine at Villefranche-sur-Saone from an APRR toll booth and didn't hand it in to another booth until we reached Reims-Taissy - a distance of around 450km I think - who gets the revenue as we gave the money to SANEF but drove at least half of it on APRR - I was thinking can you drive much further on péages in France without encountering a toll-booth (and on looking at a map you can go Villefranche-sur-Saone -> A6 -> A31 -> A5 -> A26 -> A4 -> almost Paris but that's a contrived journey with a better alternative)
Surely there are compensation mechanisms in place between the motorways owners. They hold the data of someone's entry point and exit point and will calculate on the basis of the most direct route.
timbucks

Post by timbucks »

Just remembered the Tunnel de Tende... it's under roadworks whilst they build a second parallel tunnel so it's single alternate lane traffic. The tunnel is 2 miles long - we were climbing up the Col and came to a stop about 800m from the tunnel entrance (according to the sign) - as soon as we stopped the driver in the car in front got out and lit up. That gave us a clue it would be a fair wait - after about 8 minutes we started to move and made our way through the tunnel and down the other side into France.

As we went down the hairpins I looked back at the traffic lights holding the Italy bound traffic and it had a time saying 5 minutes till green. Given the amount of time it took to get up, through and down the first few bends they appear to be traffic lights set to a minimum of 15 minutes red time. I don't think you'd ever get away with that phasing anywhere in the UK.
A fine is a tax for the naughty, tax is a fine for the good!
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

timbucks wrote: As we went down the hairpins I looked back at the traffic lights holding the Italy bound traffic and it had a time saying 5 minutes till green. Given the amount of time it took to get up, through and down the first few bends they appear to be traffic lights set to a minimum of 15 minutes red time. I don't think you'd ever get away with that phasing anywhere in the UK.
Do we have anywhere where there might be a need to do something similar though? It sounds like there isn't a practical alternative there.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

timbucks wrote:Just remembered the Tunnel de Tende... it's under roadworks whilst they build a second parallel tunnel so it's single alternate lane traffic.
Is it still like that? I drove through there in 2011 and it was signal-controlled. We weren't delayed long, though.

The only negative was that while descending through the hairpins on the French side a motorcyclist was exercising the God-given right that many think they have of using the other side of the road to jump the queue, irrespective of whether anything's coming the other way. He met me right on the first hairpin. I managed to loosen my grip on the wheel and swoop round the outside of him, but he had to stop dead and almost fell over backwards, such was the gradient. Eejit.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!