The Big Dig

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

If you look back to the onset of the interstate highway system you will find that they started designating routes all over the country. it was these roads that got upgraded either on line or off line and the highway tag moved with the road. they upgraded the road to 'motorway status' as that was the recognised way to go and slowly they expanded the road system.
having driven several miles on interstate I have to say that they are nothing like the european standards......
Down in Florida I even saw a few interesting service areas that existed in the centre reservation with the freeway going either side. good idea allowed buses to turn around and pick up pasengers and meant that the facilities could be streamlined into one block....
Gavin
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

<<a few interesting service areas that existed in the centre reservation with the freeway going either side>>
There is one like this in France, on the A89 at Correze. The carriageways cross over each other so that you exit on the right (nearside in France) to reach it - see the "Wide Central Reservations"thread for May 6th.
roadmuck

Post by roadmuck »

<<Then on those grounds, it's probably perfectly acceptable...I have noted that Interstates are not Motorways, and aren't intended to be - I knew for a while, however, you'd expect them to just be US routes rather than Interstates...>>

To say that the Interstates are not Motorways, would be slightly incorrect. While there are certain anomolies like the at-grade "farm exits" and the isolated single carriageway sections, which have been mentioned earlier, there are many things that make them "motorway equivalent". For example pedestrians, cyclists, mopeds, and in many places farm vehicles are prohibited frrom the Interstates. Also the Interstates have similar speed limits to the Motorways. As for some of the "substandard" Interstates many of these roads were not originally built as part of the Interstate system, but as local freeways or expressways, but these roads were important enough to national traffic flow, that they were grandfathered into the Interstate system. Also "Interstate standards" have changed over time, so some of the the older features that are present, if built today would not be there. There have also been some cases where an Interstate has been built substandard due to environmental concerns.
In the case of I-238 and I-180 in WY, these were roads built using federal funding and I believe there is some sort of financial advantage states get for having X amount of Interstate mileage. Argatlam could explain that part better than I could.
But back to my point, the reason for many of these anomolies on our Interstates are there for many of the same reasons that they are there on the Motorways. So one could argue that really the only "major" differences are signage, LHD, and the size of each network.
Andrew
roadmuck

Post by roadmuck »

<<Also, do Turnpikes get shunned by motorists who refuse to pay a toll>>

Not really, as many times there are no good free alternatives. The only places where I've ever seen toll roads really getting shunned is in urban areas where there are good, but busier alternatives. Much of Florida is pretty good example of that.
Andrew
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Well, I owe you a thankyou for clearing up that loose end with me - it's quite confusing to say the least!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

The interstate system IS NOT the same as a motorway here in the UK. This is apparent when you reserch into the way that motorways and interstates differ. An interstate is a road that is part of the american road network that comes under the interstate act in government. It is a road that is part of the national network and not part of the state, it just happens to run through the 'state'.
Look at Hawaii they used to have an interstate system but this was abandoned. The reason ebing that in hawaii you could not go from state to state you were restricted due to the fact that you were seperated from another state by several thousand miles.
The closest that you have in britain to an interstate is the 'european route' a network of roads that extend across the union providing links between different parts of the union. Much the same as the interstate system in the US. Our motorways are not rights of way either, being prohibited to certain classes of traffic and pedestrians. As you have mentioned that in the us there are sections that are availiable to use to farm traffic and such. This wouldnt happen on the motorway system here in the UK. Such roads are not the norm. The A38(M) is a spur motorway that links from the M6 into the city of Birmingham, all other single carriageway motorways are an abnormality created due to the fact that the road actually ends at a motorway. A601(M) A6144(M).
You are right in that they are similar but they are not the same principle. A motorway being a restricted road developed as a limited access road to link two points and form an integratednetwork.
The interstate system was a result of the fear that the americans had of the commies, they wanted to provide a network of routes over the country to allow rapid movement of supplies between areas. It just happens that the logical way has been that these roads be developed as divided highways to similar standards as a motorway.
roadmuck

Post by roadmuck »

Gavin,
Once again I must correct you on some things, being an American and a frequent user of the Interstate system. The Interstate system in Hawaii is alive and well. With H1, H2, and H3 still radiating out from Honolulu.
Also the places that allow farm vehicles on the interstates are few and far between and mostly in the Western states, often where an old US road was upgraded into the Interstate, similar to how some sections of the A1 have become the A1(M). Other than the very few remote farm exits, (which are far from the norm in most of the country) and the fact the Motorways don't allow learning drivers, the Interstates are subject to ALMOST all the same regulations and conditions. As for Interstates being rights of way, that has mostly to do with the differences in land acquistion and property rights between our 2 nations, rather than the roads themselves.
Also the idea of the Interstates actually dates back to the late 30's, and its main purpose was as limited access road network to relief traffic in our cities, thus the reason for the pre-Interstate freeways in our country. Yet because of the War a plan for a national network did not come until the 50's, and the main reason it was proposed was as a traffic relief, but the proposal was SOLD to Congress as an aid to Defense, but that was not the original intent, nor the main reason it got built.
Just thought I'd clarify, sorry to be so pedantic!
Andrew
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Okay I submit you are right afterall.................
just dont ask me to ask for directions okay?
http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa052499.htm
Nic

Re: The Big Dig

Post by Nic »

Was searching for this thread. Apparently "Boston Bypass" wasn't the correct search query ;)

That said, went around and about on the underground Boston Interstates last week. Its quite stressful for the first timer, and there were a couple of occasions where you'd join from the right, and have to leave from the left in less than 0.5 miles.

The signage was alright, but not brilliant for the first timer. All pretty disorientating, and when it throws you out onto, inevitably, a bridge at the end, you aren't entirely sure if which direction your facing.

It was almost certainly a good idea, because the surface level streets above the interstates are nose to tail traffic most of the day.

Have a few pics...
entrance.jpg
exit Slip 1.jpg
Onoff1.jpg
Nic
Nic

Post by Nic »

onOff2.jpg
Tunnel Exit.jpg
NYC.jpg
I included the last one because it seemed a very long away destination, as most other onward locations were a lot nearer.
Nic
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

You could try this way around the delays
Governor Cuomo demands answers on tunnel closure linked to corruption case

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 06:29PM

NEW YORK --

New York's governor demanded an investigation Tuesday into allegations that a lane in one of the traffic-clogged tunnels connecting Manhattan to New Jersey was shut down as a special favor to a politically connected businessman accused of paying bribes to police commanders.

JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt